9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Civic marks my 5th Honda/Acura vehicle and I'm beginning to have serious doubts about its ability to hold up long term. Only 1.5 months and 2000 miles in and I'm already getting squeaks and random rattles. My drivers floormat is already wearing down the carpet by the clutch and gas pedals. It looks like its 5 years old with 75k of foot wear on it. Went to the dealer to buy some Honda all weather mats. Not once, but TWICE, with two separate sets of mats I opened them up and the long rear mat rubber began to split where it had been folded in the package. Had to return each of them. Cheap crappy rubber mats that crack and tear brand new for $142!!!! Makes me wonder about all the other cost cutting measures they've employed over the years. I've always felt like my Hondas were bullet-proof but the more miles I put on my Si, the more it feels brittle. Anybody else?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,541 Posts
You need to speak to mno86.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I haven't noticed this yet on my '12 Si coupe ... I'll keep an eye out for it.

I wore a hole in the carpet near the pedals after driving my 7th gen for a decade. Kinda expect that though.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,541 Posts
I put my 8th gen WeatherTech mats in there right away. I'm not worried about the carpeting.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
This Civic marks my 5th Honda/Acura vehicle and I'm beginning to have serious doubts about its ability to hold up long term. Only 1.5 months and 2000 miles in and I'm already getting squeaks and random rattles. My drivers floormat is already wearing down the carpet by the clutch and gas pedals. It looks like its 5 years old with 75k of foot wear on it. Went to the dealer to buy some Honda all weather mats. Not once, but TWICE, with two separate sets of mats I opened them up and the long rear mat rubber began to split where it had been folded in the package. Had to return each of them. Cheap crappy rubber mats that crack and tear brand new for $142!!!! Makes me wonder about all the other cost cutting measures they've employed over the years. I've always felt like my Hondas were bullet-proof but the more miles I put on my Si, the more it feels brittle. Anybody else?

No issues with my 12 Si sedan... so far.
No rattles, oil usage, or anything of the such... just fun spirited driving.
As far as the floor mats go... eh, doesn't bother me.
But I'm also of the type that I could do without all the techy stuff and use the money on more performance ;)

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
It's not limited to Honda, my F-550 work truck the mats(more like a cheap, ultra thin plastic cover than a floor mat) wore done to bare metal in 30k miles.
I agree... I work in a trim shop, taking apart cars... I can see how cheap the cars are from the inside out. Still amazes me.. My Si is holding up very well, at 8 months old and 13k on the Ido. No issues to be had.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I totally understand where Zulu is coming from. The car is technically fine but it does have issues I have not seen in older Hondas. I had a 95 dx and a 2001 dx. It makes a lot of plastic cracking or flexing sounds. I don't know how to explain it. The quality seems like any other car these days. It's loud, my dx seemed quieter inside the cabin and I don't mean engine noise more like coasting over bumps or driving on rocks. Almost like they didn't even think about sound deadening.

My seats rock back and forth a little and two dealerships said it was normal. One place changed the seat rails and it made no difference. It s not bad but its annoying and seems like it may get worse. I also agree with zulu about the standard si mats. They are made out if a cheap fabric, almost plastic. I saw the same thing happening to mine, also in about 2000 miles. I do not have any problems with the all weather mats though.
Overall the car the car is ok and I am satisfied with my purchase but I did not expect simple quality issues. Interested to see how these car will be over 100k miles. Hopefully things won't get worse.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
In my experience, all cars have more rattles when it's cold outside. Parts contract and get looser I suspect. Don't know if Honda is going down on quality since this is my first one. Time will tell if it's any good or not.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
No issues here with my Si Sedan. I agree with the guys that said you need to speak with Mno86.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,541 Posts
In my experience, all cars have more rattles when it's cold outside. Parts contract and get looser I suspect.
I agree with this, although, in my experience, my last two Civics were less rattle prone than previous cars.

I've been driving my car this week in temperatures in the low teens and have noticed no rattles (and I notice that kind of stuff). It's been solid as a rock.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
7 months,4200 miles still smells new, tight as a drum, no oil burning. My floor mats have no wear at all. I just wish I bought a blue one kinda, but that us on me.it sucks yo hear all the problems on here though.

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
Registered
93 Posts
ive seen my floor mats wearing down fast by clutch and gas (only at 4500 miles) but doesent bother me too much unlike the front pillar cover that i can wiggle a bit or the fact that i still dont get why the top half of the inside interior is some shitty tan color instead of black!!! :RantExplode: glad thats out of my system :)

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to more powerful, more technically advanced, and more feature packed cars as standard equipment than ever before. They gotta keep the cost down somehow.... When you could buy a car that had 2 airbags, a tape player, tachometer and maybe ac, you could buy a rock solid car for 10k new. Not no more.... Gotta have 130hp, 40+ mpg, & 8 airbags for under 20k to play the game

Sent from da Nexus 7

·
Registered
141 Posts
I gotta admit I love this car but I agree with the quality of the mats and even the fabric in the seats , the mats on my 93 accord ( original mats ) are still in better shape then the ones on my 12 ( barely 2 months old ) and no this isn't an exaggeration , I guess I'm just expecting a lot better for something I paid over 20k for

·
Registered
283 Posts
have had my 2012 for a year now

I live pretty f*cking far north where the 9month long winters are cold and harsh ( -45celcious ) and roads are shit too ...

engine starts like a champ, defrost is efficient, the car is rock solid, no rattles, no squeaking, no abnormal noise, my interior trims are still like new, seats are equally as comfortable and resistant as previous civics i've had, no problem with the car what so ever, i have rubber floor mat for the winter ... carpet floor mats are still A1 ...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts