9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the dealer, they fixed my alignment problem. I have a 2012 Si Sedan. I have the car just over a month and noticed the alignment was off.
They confirm it was off and fixed it. Car is tracking straight and less twitchy at high speeds. What they didn't fix is the steering wheel is still slightly off centered to the right.
It's just slight, but enough for me to notice. I might have to go back and see what they can do. Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Most likely when they adjusted your alignment the steering wheel was raised all the way up with the steering wheel holder or opposite of that and now that you have it back you moved it were you like it and it is off to right, or the guys set it with out sitting in the car and making sure it dead on before they adjusted your toe. I use to do alignments and we would fix these dealer ship off center problems alot, often i would have to sit in the car to compensate for the weight that the driver would add then adjust, camber and toe, but these days they usually "just set the toe and let it go" If it bothers you will have to get another alignment tell them it favors the right. Please center the steer wheel or find a shop were you can watch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely when they adjusted your alignment the steering wheel was raised all the way up with the steering wheel holder or opposite of that and now that you have it back you moved it were you like it and it is off to right, or the guys set it with out sitting in the car and making sure it dead on before they adjusted your toe. I use to do alignments and we would fix these dealer ship off center problems alot, often i would have to sit in the car to compensate for the weight that the driver would add then adjust, camber and toe, but these days they usually "just set the toe and let it go" If it bothers you will have to get another alignment tell them it favors the right. Please center the steer wheel or find a shop were you can watch.
You hit the nail right on the head. When i got back into the car the steering wheel was on the up position. Thanks for the info, really helps..going to call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, let me know how it goes, good luck
So I went to Honda this morning...told them about the steering wheel being off centered. They took it in and fix it...well at least dialed a good amount out. Maybe im being anal, but I can still see some.
Overall, i'm very happy, car feels more stable and less twitchy. I offered to sit in the car while they did the suspension, but due to insurance purposes it was not allowed.

Jhondas...thanks again for your sharing your knowledge on this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
will they do this for free since my car is 4 days old? my wheel is off to the left a bit,,, i do alignments where i work but our machine doesn't have the specs for 2012 civic :/,,,, also does anyone have the alignment specs? or could i get them from the dealer? im guessing they dont give that stuff out to anyone

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will they do this for free since my car is 4 days old? my wheel is off to the left a bit,,, i do alignments where i work but our machine doesn't have the specs for 2012 civic :/,,,, also does anyone have the alignment specs? or could i get them from the dealer? im guessing they dont give that stuff out to anyone
No they shouldn't charge you, I have my Si over a month and they did all this for free. Of course, if they find something that you might have cause it to go out of alignment they might charge you.
For example, if they see a big gash or dent on ur rims. Honda will have specs in their system by now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
yeahhh im in a pickle now, i have no day off this week,,, i have to go to new Brunswick this weekend,,, its supposed to snow, so i need to put my snowtires on,,,, but they could say that's why the wheel is off,, i don't want to take an hour or two off work but i guess i'm gonna have to

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Anyones steering wheel sit slightly to the left ??

EDIT: FIXED. LINK FOR DIY BELOW.

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/ho...off-set-crooked-steering-wheel.html#post71435

Got my SI 4 door a week ago and notice it pulled slightly to the right, took it in today for alignment and that's fixed but the steering wheel sits a few degrees to the left when tracking straight. Car doesn't pull though. I know they can adjust the tie rods to fix this but what has me really curious is that the plastic directly behind the wheel, between the wheel and dash is also tilted slightly left and the steering wheel matches up with it perfectly.

Is anyones like this besides mine? Is it supposed to be like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep same here bro. Mine is off to the left. Doesn't sit even w the back plastic piece and bison the hell out of me lol

Samsung Galaxy Note

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Si does it too. I notice if I am at a drive through window it just always sits crooked. I will straighten it out and it goes back to sitting crooked. It could be because of the very light steering they put on the 9th gen. Which in my opinion is one of the only bad things about this awesome car.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Whew thank goodness it's not just me! It has been bugging me so bad!! Well if its like this for most people then I will probably just live with it.

On my old 2010 EXL they did the alignment twice and then adjusted the tie rods to get it ALMOST perfect but it was still just slightly off to the left. On my 03 civic it was impossible to fix and it sat to the left. I don't wanna go through all that mess again. At least it doesn't pull.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How is it when you're on the left side of the crown? Like in the left lane of a divided freeway or the left side of a crowned one-way street?

Because the slight leftward tilt of mine bothered me for the first few days, until I noticed it went the other way when the camber of the road was the opposite of the normal case. After that I just figured it's the way the steering is set up and stopped worrying about it. The car tracks so amazingly well under so many road conditions I decided such a tiny visual annoyance wasn't worth tampering with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yep sits to left here I thought it was just me also.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
How is it when you're on the left side of the crown? Like in the left lane of a divided freeway or the left side of a crowned one-way street?

Because the slight leftward tilt of mine bothered me for the first few days, until I noticed it went the other way when the camber of the road was the opposite of the normal case. After that I just figured it's the way the steering is set up and stopped worrying about it. The car tracks so amazingly well under so many road conditions I decided such a tiny visual annoyance wasn't worth tampering with.
When I'm on the left side of a crown which doesn't happen much, the wheel is about the same unless its really steep but that adds pull.
Looks like this is unanimous. Glad I made this thread so at least all the people that were bothered by the issue can be relieved to know they aren't alone and it's normal. Made me feel better at least.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine sits slightly to the left also. Just wondering I have an si sedan how about you guys. It bothers me a bit but it tracks straight.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.