9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have looked through the forums and (unless I'm blind) I have not seen anything on this subject yet. I am thinking about going over the red stitching and making it a blue color to match my interior lights and such. Has anyone tried this? If so, any tips so I don't destroy my leather or make it look like crap.

I have done some research and I found a thread where people were trying it on Camaros and 350Zs. However, it looks like they started from a white/silverish base color and I'm not sure how the red stitching will effect the blue dye. Maybe I should go for a white dye first, then go blue? I don't know. What do you guys think?

--- Update ---

I just finished my passenger side door panel and I think it came out great! Check it out.

Half way from Red to White.

DSC00270.jpg DSC00272.jpg DSC00273.jpg

All White.

DSC00274.jpg DSC00276.jpg

Adding the blue!

DSC00279.jpg

Final product!!!

DSC00288.jpg

This door panel took me about 2 hours to do. It definitely took a lot of time, patience and VERY fine brush. Overall, the colors seeped into the threat instead of just covering it up (Mostly because I watered it down). I think it's safe to say you could do this in any color you want. Also, just an added tip, the Black fabric is pretty forgiving. I got some of the paint on it a couple times and it just wipes off with your finger nail as long as you're quick. Tell me what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Baned
8,521 Posts
I thought they only made the EX-L for the Canadian market. Anyway, I haven't seen this topic before. There are a few threads on colored piping that people shove in the cracks in the door between the plastics or even one member did his dashboard too but I haven't seen what you propose doing. If you bleach the stitching white before dying it blue you run the risk of bleaching the leather too. If all else fails you can just take it to an upholstery place and have them restitch it for you. It will probably be costly, but not as much as new fabric. Good luck!

sent from my mobile communications device

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I was trying to find a way I could just run over it with a dye pen or something. Bleach is a no go. I would be way too afraid to accidentally destroy the leather. I found a couple guys that did it in a few different ways. The Steering wheel is Leather so I can use the youtube method on that but I am getting the Si interior and I will be unable to use that method on the fabric.

Camaro Site:
Dye for Leather stitching? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

YouTube Method:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I have my Si Steering Wheel and Si Door Panels in the mail. I should have them in a week or so and then I can start to dye all the stitching. I will be posting pics to show you guys my progress. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using Acrylic paint to complete this. I have tested out the paint on a few different cloths that were different shades of red and made out of different materials. I found that using a white as a base coat and then going over it with a metallic blue (both diluted in a 9:1 paint:water ratio) gave me a really nice true blue color. Adding the water to the paint also helped dye the stitching and after scratching and rubbing the color remained so it appears to be durable. We will see if it stands the test of time however. According to the link I have provided, a guy that did a similar task in his Camaro stated that it has been over a year and he hasn't seen any wear on it. I have a few different ideas on what I will be doing with it before I put it on though. I am going to add a Carbon Fiber texture to the small black plastic pieces around the buttons and I was thinking maybe a chrome on the silver/grey garnish around the horn. I will post pics once it's complete to show you guys how it turns out.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
OP~do you have an Si? I'm assuming so since you have red stitching. What do you guys think about a silver final finish on the Si? The blue may be too contrasting IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an LX but I was able to buy both door panels and an Si steering wheel for $100. I am currently working on the stitching on the steering wheel but it is considerably harder to do because the stitching sits farther down into the leather than it does in the fabric. I will post more pics when it's done but with Christmas almost here I don't expect it to be done until the beginning of January. I have a bunch of ideas for what I'm going to do to them so keep an eye out for a "Custom Si Door Panels" thread and a "Custom Si Steering Wheel" Thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts