9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello 9th GEN!

I have a 2012 CIVIC COUPE LX and i was wondering if anyone knew what the stock head unit's output sensitivity is? I searched and the closest thing I got was 3.325V at max volume.
I'm pretty new to the audio scene, so I was wondering what the input level(gain) should be. I have a hifonics brutus 1200 and i want to make sure i dont screw it up.

On the side note, the manual says:
The input level control allows you to match the amplifier input sensitivity to the output level of the RADIO/CD player from 0.2 Volts to 9 volts when using
unbalanced RCA cables. The Level control needs to be adjusted to match the Line Level Sensitivity (this is the amount of voltage the radio/CD player RCA’s
provide. Example: If the radio/CD player Line Level Sensitivity is 4 volts, adjust the amp Level control to 4 volts.

The Level control needs to be adjusted to match the Line Level Sensitivity?
What does this mean exactly?

edit:
source
No they are not the same. EX/-L sedan doesn't have premium audio, even the navigation one doesn't.

Stock radio has internal amp outputting 4 channels, and the front channels have parallel wiring for tweeter with a cap and a woofer in doors. Speakers are Pioneer. It does NOT have any other output. It is also heavily equalized at the output section (+/- 5dB at some points), and a sharp drop off below 60Hz. This radio does not have remote wire output.

Premium (EX/-L coupe, Si's) radio has low voltage (3.325V at level 40) balanced output behind the radio. It has a dedicated subwoofer output channel on the extra 8-pin harness. Also It has outboard amplifier and the crossover is integrated to that amp. Equalization (still very heavy) is also done at the amplifier, but the output at the radio is totally flat (verified to within +/- 1dB). So there are 7 output channels at the amplifier, while only 5 channels on the input. Speakers are Foster. This radio has a remote wire output.

·
Registered
597 Posts
One way to do is to play 1kHz test tone and measure the potential across the positive and negative terminal at 3/4 of the volume. That's how I measure a 3.325V. I only do that as reference. I also measure at the output of the amp, so I make sure I get the right voltage. (ie. 150W per channel, sqrt(150*4)=24.5V at 1kHz) and that's my correct gain.

IMO You don't set gain at amp to 4V when your head unit can output 4V max. People do that tends to ignore the internal EQ that almost every head unit has. If it can output 4V max unclipped, that means it can output 4V when treble and bass are set to max. Without this condition, your head unit output far less than 4V. That's why Alpine amp has a center detent that says "NORM" and that's a 1V gain (and all the way down is 4V), while at that time almost all Alpine head unit has 4V pre-out.

Reactions: ADExternal

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Hello 9th GEN!

I have a 2012 CIVIC COUPE LX and i was wondering if anyone knew what the stock head unit's output sensitivity is? I searched and the closest thing I got was 3.325V at max volume.
I'm pretty new to the audio scene, so I was wondering what the input level(gain) should be. I have a hifonics brutus 1200 and i want to make sure i dont screw it up.

On the side note, the manual says:
The input level control allows you to match the amplifier input sensitivity to the output level of the RADIO/CD player from 0.2 Volts to 9 volts when using
unbalanced RCA cables. The Level control needs to be adjusted to match the Line Level Sensitivity (this is the amount of voltage the radio/CD player RCA’s
provide. Example: If the radio/CD player Line Level Sensitivity is 4 volts, adjust the amp Level control to 4 volts.

The Level control needs to be adjusted to match the Line Level Sensitivity?
What does this mean exactly?

edit:
source
No they are not the same. EX/-L sedan doesn't have premium audio, even the navigation one doesn't.

Stock radio has internal amp outputting 4 channels, and the front channels have parallel wiring for tweeter with a cap and a woofer in doors. Speakers are Pioneer. It does NOT have any other output. It is also heavily equalized at the output section (+/- 5dB at some points), and a sharp drop off below 60Hz. This radio does not have remote wire output.

Premium (EX/-L coupe, Si's) radio has low voltage (3.325V at level 40) balanced output behind the radio. It has a dedicated subwoofer output channel on the extra 8-pin harness. Also It has outboard amplifier and the crossover is integrated to that amp. Equalization (still very heavy) is also done at the amplifier, but the output at the radio is totally flat (verified to within +/- 1dB). So there are 7 output channels at the amplifier, while only 5 channels on the input. Speakers are Foster. This radio has a remote wire output.
The quickest way without using fancy audio measuring equipment which does exist,turn your gain and any bass boost completely off and turn your HU to max slowly raise the gain on your amp until it begins to distort them back it to the point of distortion.old school trick but its the fastest way like I said without measuring.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The quickest way without using fancy audio measuring equipment which does exist,turn your gain and any bass boost completely off and turn your HU to max slowly raise the gain on your amp until it begins to distort them back it to the point of distortion.old school trick but its the fastest way like I said without measuring.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I did the same as EffBee mention back in the days and still as effective today.

Also, to those who doesnt have prem audio (amp) which means the the remote wires isnt connected but the harness and HU is still the same. There should still be a pin for you to use a remote wire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently installed an audio processor as well as 5 channel amp in my Civic, and the processor receives the hi level input directly from the stock stereo. So to determine the volume required to input to the audio processor, I brought home from work an oscilliscope, and played a 1khz test tone through the CD player, and measured the sine wave at the input to the audio processor, and I found that at volume position 25 on the factory stereo with the bass and treble set to flat , that is the volume where there is no clipping of the sine wave. At position 26 it would start to graduallly clip. So I leave my factory stereo set at volume setting of 25 all the time, and use the volume control from the audio processor to control the overall volume of the stereo.
I am not sure if that is what you were looking for, but its handy to know for anyone using their hi level output from their stock stereo for a non distorted input to your amplifier .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts