9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im planning on getting 4 Kicker DS60s and an Alpine MRP-F300 amp
my question is, if i hook all this up, and use the Stock HU, will it sound alright?
not planning on getting an equalizer or a line output converter.
Also are there RCA inputs on the stock HU?

Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
What trim and body is your car? It makes a lot of differences.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, what he ^^^ is asking. Being those are kicker's cheapest line of speakers, if you have the factory premium system it may not be much better. There are no RCA outputs on the factory radio, so you will HAVE to use a 4 channel line output to connect the amp if you do end up going that route. If it is factory amplified you'll be looking at doing an amp bypass to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okk its an LX, and the amp does have speaker level inputs, so i don't need the 4-channel line output.

im to sure sure what criscotwister means though "If it is factory amplified you'll be looking at doing an amp bypass to go aftermarket."

Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you have EX coupe and Sis then you should bypass the amp to get flat line level to RCA. In your case, I've heard in the past that LX (at least for 8th gen Civic) radio by Alpine has frequency response of 60Hz to 14kHz. This is the reason why you don't have a tweeter, since the tweeter plays high frequencies all the way beyond 14kHz. In addition it gets quite a few +/-5dB peaks and dips along the band. So you really need to think about how you define "sound right".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok ok i understand the part about the frquencies.
just that i heard that since there will be no equalizer to clean out the sound from the factory radio, the signals the radio will send to the amp will be made for "stock speakers".
because of this, will it sound alright with the speakers and amp.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi guys im planning on getting 4 Kicker DS60s and an Alpine MRP-F300 amp
my question is, if i hook all this up, and use the Stock HU, will it sound alright?
not planning on getting an equalizer or a line output converter.
Also are there RCA inputs on the stock HU?

Thanks!
You need a Line Level Adapter. Then you can keep all your Stock Head Unit functions and hook up Amps to your speakers and sub and improve your sound! Although I also do recommend upgrading the stock speakers and sub as they SUCK! Lol

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
597 Posts
ok ok i understand the part about the frquencies.
just that i heard that since there will be no equalizer to clean out the sound from the factory radio, the signals the radio will send to the amp will be made for "stock speakers".
because of this, will it sound alright with the speakers and amp.
You get the concept correct. Yes, you will be using the EQ curve for the stock speaker with aftermarket amp and speakers. You will still get better sound since the speaker is better. You always have an option to change it later if you feel it doesn't sound good. You don't need line level converter since your amp has speaker level input. I do advise against using those system integration DSP unless you have some good source (like if you have premium radio, tap signal before stock amp, and you want time alignment). I tried it in EX non-premium and it never sound good at all, since you are creating stuffs that doesn't exist at the beginning.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You get the concept correct. Yes, you will be using the EQ curve for the stock speaker with aftermarket amp and speakers. You will still get better sound since the speaker is better. You always have an option to change it later if you feel it doesn't sound good. You don't need line level converter since your amp has speaker level input. I do advise against using those system integration DSP unless you have some good source (like if you have premium radio, tap signal before stock amp, and you want time alignment). I tried it in EX non-premium and it never sound good at all, since you are creating stuffs that doesn't exist at the beginning.
thanks youve been soooo much help!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quixk question how would u setup all this up?
4 speakers and the alpine amp?
- put in speakers
-put in amp
-run speaker wires to speakers?

·
Registered
100 Posts
quixk question how would u setup all this up?
4 speakers and the alpine amp?
- put in speakers
-put in amp
-run speaker wires to speakers?
-Run speaker side of cut speaker wires to amp output (the stairway looking plugs that say CH1, CH2, etc)
-Run radio side of cut speaker wires to the amp high level input (the little harness with the gray, green, white, and violet sets of wires)
-Run turn on, battery, and ground
-Celebrate with pizza

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
-Run speaker side of cut speaker wires to amp output (the stairway looking plugs that say CH1, CH2, etc)
-Run radio side of cut speaker wires to the amp high level input (the little harness with the gray, green, white, and violet sets of wires)
-Run turn on, battery, and ground
-Celebrate with pizza
haha thanks hopefully this will all make sense, when i actually get everything in my hands!
thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts