9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen how the Nav actually functions. But I was wondering should I go with stock Nav or get Kenwood 9980hd? I can't prob get HU and amp with speaker for a lil bit more than the Price they charge you for nav. But, I was wounding what I lose without using the stock unit. Like car diagnostics, appearance, etc...

Your opinions. And I'm still not clear if you can get Si w/out nav.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't seen how the Nav actually functions. But I was wondering should I go with stock Nav or get Kenwood 9980hd? I can't prob get HU and amp with speaker for a lil bit more than the Price they charge you for nav. But, I was wounding what I lose without using the stock unit. Like car diagnostics, appearance, etc...

Your opinions. And I'm still not clear if you can get Si w/out nav.
I thought Honda would have offered a back up camera with the nav/i-mid but that's a no go, at least with the Kenwood you can add it and play DVD's.

Will the Kenwood be compatible with the steering wheel controls/volume,bluetooth,nav buttons?

Kenwood Excelon DNX9980HD

General features:

DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner
built-in navigation system with free traffic services
built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
6.95" motorized touchscreen with multiple display angles
voice control of many receiver functions
animated display with multiple GUI
built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
PANDORA® Internet radio connectivity
built-in HD Radio tuner with iTunes tagging
fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
remote control
Audio/visual features:

plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Hands-on Research for full capabilities)
13-band EQ, digital signal processing, and HP/LP filters
5.1 channel decoding
dual-zone A/V output
Expandability:

iPod control: Kenwood cable required for full access to audio/video content
works with Kenwood satellite radio tuner
inputs: rear USB input, two rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
outputs: A/V output; 7-channel preamp outputs (5-volt center, front, rear, subwoofer)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I would go aftermarket 100%! Kenwood, Pioneer or eclipse all have really nice units and do much more than just navigate......not to mention its about half the price and you can add a back up camera! Also, i cant comment on the civic but i know with my old Silverado and a Eclipse AVN726E (which was the top model at the time) it worked with all my stock steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Yes. It should work with current buttons. Soldering prob required. Or maybe there is a kit.also show optional to show car info.
yeah im not sure how it works exactly but i know there us to be a RF signal back in the day that would allow the the steering wheel controls to work but now there is a small box unit that is plug and play.....i wish i had specifics but i would have to check with my stereo guy for the details.

·
Registered
246 Posts
the Canadian SIs comes with navi as standard equipment
does anyone know if its a good head-unit? (eg good res and easy to navigate)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
the Canadian SIs comes with navi as standard equipment
does anyone know if its a good head-unit? (eg good res and easy to navigate)
I've never used it, but a friend has told me it's excellent; works very well

Personally I would stick with stock navi, I like the look of a car with a stock navigation system. Something about aftermarket navigation systems just don't look good to me :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I've never used it, but a friend has told me it's excellent; works very well

Personally I would stick with stock navi, I like the look of a car with a stock navigation system. Something about aftermarket navigation systems just don't look good to me :wigglesmiley:
Have you seen the newer navi units out? they are very clean with minimal buttons since everything is touch. But again, this goes back to functionality for me.....you can do so much more with a aftermarket navi.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
just wondering, since it also comes with xm radio, there is a monthly bill right? So if it comes with xm radio but lets say you don't use it or set it up, then your good right? Sorry, I never had this on my older civic so I don't know anything about this. And if I do get the 9th gen civic si sedan, this will be the very first time I would get into these new electronics.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
just wondering, since it also comes with xm radio, there is a monthly bill right? So if it comes with xm radio but lets say you don't use it or set it up, then your good right? Sorry, I never had this on my older civic so I don't know anything about this. And if I do get the 9th gen civic si sedan, this will be the very first time I would get into these new electronics.
cars that come with XM typically service for free for the first 3 months. Have it in my truck, not worth the money. hook up your ipod and go

·
Registered
35 Posts
Call XM and ask for the $35 for 6 month's "everything" deal if your interested, 6 buck's a month for over 100 ch's ain't bad IMO.

My daily commute is 125 miles round trip on my 2010 Honda Civic hybrid and I use it, BTW my Hybrid averages 43+ mpg :woowoo: .

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Have you seen the newer navi units out? they are very clean with minimal buttons since everything is touch. But again, this goes back to functionality for me.....you can do so much more with a aftermarket navi.
I mean more so the clean factory installation. I realize there are aftermarket ways to obtain a similar look, but something about the factory setup is always a preference to me. There's only so much I want to do anyway in there, for me at least, there's a limit to the need for functionality. Music, GPS, nothing else needed lol Oh yea, iPhone. :D

@T_Virus: I believe it does come XM enabled!

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
cars that come with XM typically service for free for the first 3 months. Have it in my truck, not worth the money. hook up your ipod and go
Yeah, I heard sometimes they give a free trial period but what happens after the trial period? I really don't want it and will not use it so do I just let the free trial period run out? After the trial period, would I still get charged? Will the receiver disconnect?

Call XM and ask for the $35 for 6 month's "everything" deal if your interested, 6 buck's a month for over 100 ch's ain't bad IMO.

My daily commute is 125 miles round trip on my 2010 Honda Civic hybrid and I use it, BTW my Hybrid averages 43+ mpg :woowoo: .
That's good, but I don't see myself ever using it. Like Talon I would also use my phone or ipod, standard radio, etc.

@T_Virus: I believe it does come XM enabled!
Yeah, I believe it comes with XM enabled already but just wonder what will happen if I don't use and I don't want to pay a monthly subscription.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yeah, I heard sometimes they give a free trial period but what happens after the trial period? I really don't want it and will not use it so do I just let the free trial period run out? After the trial period, would I still get charged? Will the receiver disconnect?

That's good, but I don't see myself ever using it. Like Talon I would also use my phone or ipod, standard radio, etc.

Yeah, I believe it comes with XM enabled already but just wonder what will happen if I don't use and I don't want to pay a monthly subscription.
After the time expires you simply won't get the service anymore. If you wanted it, you'd just buy a subscription on top of the trial they give. If you do nothing, you get nothing, nothing will happen.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Thanks Jason. That's the answer I wanted...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I mean more so the clean factory installation. I realize there are aftermarket ways to obtain a similar look, but something about the factory setup is always a preference to me. There's only so much I want to do anyway in there, for me at least, there's a limit to the need for functionality. Music, GPS, nothing else needed lol Oh yea, iPhone. :DQUOTE]

i see what you mean....but i like to have the back up camera and dvd for my chick on long trips. Plus the 3D mapping is really cool too. I believe it gives you much more control over the sound adjustment and tuning, but i see what you mean, you dont want to "hack" into the factory set up anymore than you need to.

After the time expires you simply won't get the service anymore. If you wanted it, you'd just buy a subscription on top of the trial they give. If you do nothing, you get nothing, nothing will happen.
Yes this is true, but trust me they will BLOW YOU UP once its about to expire! they are ruthless in contacting you to suscribe and if you ever need to call them good luck! read up on their customer service......world class terrible! just be warned......do your homework. But if its really $35 for 6 months thats actually pretty good!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
GMC Acadia Forum: 6 months XM Everything for $24.95, after taxes it totaled to approximately $36.00, hopefully the deal still exists.
and that was only 2 months ago so it could still be possible to get that that. But you can tell he is clearly not a fan of XM and their billing policies.......they are a nightmare to cancel with so just be warned. This was a huge topic on my Raptor forum and there is MANY people that are very unhappy with XM and they way they operate. So just be careful, thats all im saying :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm a bit troubled about this. I'm buying a new Honda Si 2011 or 2012 haven't decided yet. I'm wondering what's best? I mean with a regular GPS system I can get lifetime upgrades for free but if I buy the stock Navi I have to pay for Honda to update my maps. I know it looks very sexy in the car since it goes with the design but to be honest, I'm not really into paying 2,000 for navigation when GPS systems are out at much more affordable prices.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I'm a bit troubled about this. I'm buying a new Honda Si 2011 or 2012 haven't decided yet. I'm wondering what's best? I mean with a regular GPS system I can get lifetime upgrades for free but if I buy the stock Navi I have to pay for Honda to update my maps. I know it looks very sexy in the car since it goes with the design but to be honest, I'm not really into paying 2,000 for navigation when GPS systems are out at much more affordable prices.
Oh I didn't know that you would have to pay for Honda to update the maps/etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts