9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone know the stock sub size in the ex coupe. i think i might try replaceing it cuz mine sounds blown also how do i get the rear deck off or are the speaker grills removable

·
Registered
49 Posts
anyone know the stock sub size in the ex coupe. i think i might try replaceing it cuz mine sounds blown also how do i get the rear deck off or are the speaker grills removable
8" & it SUCKS btw, my back 3 speakers are virtually worthless. I will be replacing all with Alpine when I find someone to install them but unfortunately in Toledo its pretty hard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree about the rear speakers being atrocious! The sound quality is so bad back there, I actually brought the car into honda. Turns out they're all like that. I feel like replacing just the speakers isn't going to help anything though,...seems to me the problem is more with the head unit. That said, I don't have the 'best' system...just the 6 speaker one in the 2012 ex sedan. Also, I don't know much about this stuff. :) There's quite a few threads already about this, I think.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No the speakers are not that bad. They are not great but not horrible either. Unless you pump a crap ton of bass thru them.

They would probably sound better if you took all the base and installed a real sub in the truck.
Uh, No, I agree with AwCrimety, I've had the car a month & on a road trip over the weekend I faded to the rear speakers & they sound like utter crap whereas the front 2 sound fair, I have the subwoofer turned down as I found right away upon purchase they just added an extra layer of mud to the mix nothing close to subsonic bass. If you look at the speakers from the trunk its obvious why, puny, anemic. Sorry I'm not a hardcore audiophile but if you take music at all seriously swapping them them out is a must, that is unless there is something wrong with the head which I tend to (hopefully) doubt.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an EX Sedan. That 160W sound system is junk.

I had 700+ Watts in my Jeep TJ and I need to get some serious sound in my EX now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wow..... looks like I will be upgrading speakers soon, only had mine for a week and it sounds ok, not as good as my old SI with Pioneer head unit with 2 12s in the trunk and component speakers system.

Maybe I am just getting old....LMFAO!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the rear deck is like the 8th gen, you just lower seats and pull it off, it is all clips.

It shouldn't be hard to DIY!! Try Crutchfield, they have good instructions and call in support if you get in a bind.
I put in a speaker recommendation request to Crutchfield & they came back with these: Infinity Reference 6032si 6-3/4" shallow-mount 2-way car speakers — for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com &/or Polk Audio db651s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers at Crutchfield.com . I'm not really keen on Polk speakers though I had 4 in my my last car, a 94 Tercel, & they were pretty so so & bass thin. I read at least one review of these that implied the same. Crutchfield didn't recommend a subwoofer so I don't know about that, I had this one in my cart at Best Buy:
Alpine - Type-E 10" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer - SWE-1043 but Crutchfield states that they don't check this item for fit or compatibility. Best Buy has it on the approved list for my car but I also had these in my cart:
Alpine - Type R 6-1/2" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speaker with Hybrid Fiber Cones (Pair) - SPR-60 & Crutchfield says they don't fit.
Overall I'm pretty perplexed now on what to do as the Crutchfield picks require a extra bracket, drilling new holes among other things not to mention what to do about the subwoofer, me only being moderately mechanically inclined is leaving me leery on DIY, on the other hand all the installers in town are overpriced incompetent smucks so presently I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place. :-/

·
Registered
335 Posts
That sucks, it does take some skill or just patience to install your own speakers. Maybe you should wait for a DIY. I will be doing this but not right now, maybe a few months. I am sure someone else will do a DIY first, if not I will.

On the Subs, they need an enclosure and an amp and do not mount directly to the car so you would just have to get the measurements and see if it will fit in your trunk. That is why they will not say if it fits. You don't even want to mess with replacing the sub with a better speaker. The DIY run the wires is here:

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/ho...lternative-going-through-firewall-w-pics.html

I think I will be doing one of these when the time comes if he doesn't update his since the pictures are not that great.

As far as subs go here is what you might want to do as it is easier. Just run the wires per the DIY and plug it in. You will also need to splice into the factory sub wiring to pull a line level off of it to plug in to your new sub enclosure. (easy is relative I guess)

Powered Subwoofers at Crutchfield.com

Line level:
Scosche LOC80 2-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

Maybe next weekend I will do a quick and dirty tutorial to substitute a sub enclosure for the factory sub. I have everything I need except the wiring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That sucks, it does take some skill or just patience to install your own speakers. Maybe you should wait for a DIY. I will be doing this but not right now, maybe a few months. I am sure someone else will do a DIY first, if not I will.

On the Subs, they need an enclosure and an amp and do not mount directly to the car so you would just have to get the measurements and see if it will fit in your trunk. That is why they will not say if it fits.
I was planning on keeping the stock head & just swap the subwoofer as with the other speakers I wouldn't expect to have to do so much custom modding/rewiring though the stock sub is not really enclosed as I can clearly see it from the trunk.

·
Registered
335 Posts
it really wouldn't be hard....the problem is getting quality base from an 8 inch deck mounted free air sub that is grossly underpowered

The rear speakers would sound great with a quality upgrade

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe next weekend I will do a quick and dirty tutorial to substitute a sub enclosure for the factory sub. I have everything I need except the wiring.
Have you done this yet? Inquiring minds want to know. Especially since an 8" free air sub goes no lower than the mids in the doors.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts