9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface everything by saying that I notice no visible issues with my car, im just asking if there's anything non-obvious that I should check.

2015 Si
I work somewhere where we employ drivers, and for the past 4 days one of the drivers' delivery vans has head a dead battery and their company is notorious for taking a long time to come out and service their vans. As a result, I've given him a jump start from my car every morning this week. This morning he made a stupid mistake and reversed the polarities of his end of the cables, on his van with the dead battery, and I made a stupid mistake by not checking his myself. As soon as I connected my negative terminal, I had lots of sparks coming out of the cables/battery so I quickly yanked them off, they made contact for maybe half a second. Realized what happened, swapped the cables on his dead van around and everything went fine. As far as I can tell my car seems perfectly fine, all electronics working, starts right up fine, no CELs, drove it for lunch and the whole 20 miles home tonight with no sign of damage whatsoever. Anything in particular I should check, such as specific fuses? The battery is only about a month old by the way so it's pretty fresh.

Thanks in advance.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,254 Posts
While this is not a definitive answer, in my many years driving and working on cars (and bikes), I have had the stray positive battery or jumper cable make brief contact with the incorrect pole, or ground. There have never been any detrimental effects. Holding the positive cable end against the engine or frame for a length of time, for example, though, could bring about a different result.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You'll be fine. The Van's battery was dead anyway so your voltage probably just dropped for a second. If anything the Van could have sustained some damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts