9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with summer fast approaching, I have a question about all the screens in cars like the Civic. I can't imagine it's good for them to overheat. The Civic we all have include the large one as well as those for gas tank, speedometer, and average mpg.

How hot is TOO hot for those screens? What do you suppose the automobile engineers did to keep from all the dash screens from overheating?

·
Registered
293 Posts
They are designed to take the heat. I read a artical recently that telsa used more of a tablet style screen (not automotive grade) and they had alot of failures due to what your talking about. You don't need to worry. However, I'm a fan of window tint, and a sun shade in the windsheild does have it's purpose.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tint on the side and back and just recently picked up a window shade specifically for the 9th gen Civic. The thing is pretty huge, but it fits the entire windshield.

Thanks! I was just a bit worried since the dash has so many different screens on it. I would think they had to have engineered a heat tolerance.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,104 Posts
I've got to believe that a company has large and experienced as Honda didn't not take hot weather into account when designing every electrical component in the car.

What I do in hot weather, and not because of the car, but for me, is leave the windows cracked open an inch so the interior can breathe. It also helps that I have window visor/vents so that it's not apparent my windows are open, and rain is kept out, as well.

I definitely feel a difference in interior temperature when I open the door when the windows are shut vs. opened an inch.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scottyrocks, It thought about getting those, but I don't think they look as good on the four door. I may resort to it, though.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,104 Posts
scottyrocks, It thought about getting those, but I don't think they look as good on the four door. I may resort to it, though.
I think they look better on the four-door - more balanced-looking than on the two-door. I had a set on my 8th gen sedan and was happier with the look than I am with them on my coupe. But different strokes, ya know?!

·
Banned
58 Posts
People in Arizona and other places where it gets extremely hot apparently don't have problems with it. Worrying about Honda's possible lack of accounting for heat doesn't seem to make sense.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, a bit of an update. About a month ago, on a Sunday, I left my windows up, no screens on the windshield, and it was a really hot day. When I stepped into my car, it was EXTREMELY HOT. Took a long time to cool it down.

A few weeks ago, I got the side window visor/vents [Weathertech] and can totally tell the difference with those on, and all four windows about an inch down. Inside the car [along with the windshield screen] is barely much hotter than the outside air. I'm pretty much sold on them now! Thanks for the advice, scottyrocks!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,104 Posts
Glad to be of help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts