9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Honda Civic Si which recently has had a problem with the moonroof not opening and then getting stuck in the popup mode. The dealer says that the moonroof motor is shot and requires replacement at a cost of $1300!!! When the switch is pushed it clicks but no movement. I said there's no way I'd pay that for a sunroof. I asked could he just manually close it using the tool usually provided for this purpose. He claims my model doesn't support that. I'd like to get the sunroof going again but would settle for just closing it.

Has anybody else had this problem with a ninth generation Si? What did you do? I've seen that maybe cleaning and greasing the track might fix it.

· Registered
588 Posts
I'm using this link for reference Roof Slide Components - 2015 Honda Civic 4 Door SI KA 6MT

If you are hearing the clicking noise when you try to get the sunroof to open, the motor is working part 10

Since you're saying it is stuck in the up position, most likely the lifter arms part 7 and 8 are both broken.

The dealer is correct as there is no tool or "crank" that will help close it. You will have to either 1 take off the glass and then push the lifters down, or 2 try to manually close it yourself and break part 7 and 8 some more in the process.

· Truck? What truck?!
28,192 Posts
Merged.

· Registered
484 Posts
I have a 2015 Honda Civic Si which recently has had a problem with the moonroof not opening and then getting stuck in the popup mode. The dealer says that the moonroof motor is shot and requires replacement at a cost of $1300!!! When the switch is pushed it clicks but no movement. I said there's no way I'd pay that for a sunroof. I asked could he just manually close it using the tool usually provided for this purpose. He claims my model doesn't support that. I'd like to get the sunroof going again but would settle for just closing it.

Has anybody else had this problem with a ninth generation Si? What did you do? I've seen that maybe cleaning and greasing the track might fix it.
did you try the re-calibration procedure?

· Registered
3 Posts
The question about recalibration was an excellent one. I doubted the dealer's statement that I needed to replace the sunroof motor. Because of ongoing off/on issues with my battery, i thought the two problems might be related. I had a difficult time starting my car with a charger. It was showing variuous warning messages like it had when I did a computer reset. I drove it for about 45 minutes. The next day I had to use the charger again but when driving the car I happened to try the sunroof switch again and the sunroof moved! I decided not to push my luck and closed it. I'm going to leave it that way/ I saved $1600 (written estimate) by not going along with the rec to replace the motor. Thanks.

· Registered
484 Posts
The question about recalibration was an excellent one. I doubted the dealer's statement that I needed to replace the sunroof motor. Because of ongoing off/on issues with my battery, i thought the two problems might be related. I had a difficult time starting my car with a charger. It was showing variuous warning messages like it had when I did a computer reset. I drove it for about 45 minutes. The next day I had to use the charger again but when driving the car I happened to try the sunroof switch again and the sunroof moved! I decided not to push my luck and closed it. I'm going to leave it that way/ I saved $1600 (written estimate) by not going along with the rec to replace the motor. Thanks.
I bought a CRV an owner traded in because the sunroof was possessed, and clearly got spooked at the potential cost to repair.

did a sunroof calibrate procedure, and its as good as new.

the calibration procedure is in the service manual, located here.

· Registered
47 Posts
Civic SI 2012 70,000. I had this problem also, my sunroof opened but would not close completely, it would stop just at the point before about 1-2 inches to complete closed. So one of our Engineers at work suggest Tri-flow superior oil. On the sunroof, I took a look at the sunroof and sprayed everything that moved up,down, back and forth. Then it worked perfectly, I didnt spray too much (don't over spray) . But if it moved the roof I sprayed it. Also the other parts that move with the roof.
Its oil so its not a spray just a bottle of oil. But it works great I use it all over my car now and the house.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts