9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know for a fact that sway bar reduces body roll. I am not sure if those "Beaks" lower tie bar do the same. I see a lot of here in my area with tie bar and they look nice. Would these lower tie bar work for our cars too?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
isn't the tie bar just the bling show part on the sway bar?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
apparently from all the posts i have read on other sites about these tie bars they are just for looks and have pretty much no functional ability whatsoever, look cool but yeah thats probably about it

·
Registered
72 Posts
sway bars help keep the the left and right wheels(technically suspension) at the same level.
tie bars connect the left and right points of the frame and helps keep it rigid. you really don't need tie bars unless you're doing some hardcore racing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Subframes and suspension mounting points flex a lot more than you imagine. Some of the really weak ones were the EG and EK rear lower arm mounts, and the Fit/Insight/CR-Z front lower arm mounts. A tie bar will reduce the flex and help the suspension to maintain proper geometry, which will allow the car to track more accurately when cornering. The car will feel more solid and suspension will feel tighter. Modern Hondas have a lot of high-tensile steel where it counts, so this is less of a problem these days. Adding a bar where rigidity is already high will obviously make less of an improvement and just add useless weight, and many times, also underbody aerodynamic drag.

·
Registered
158 Posts
yup, exactly what akiraNSX said above.

And a swaybar effectively makes an independed suspension more dependent (when one wheel compresses into the fender, it causes the other wheel to follow). It also means the car doesn't roll as much.

Chris

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I had Progress rear sway with Progress tie bar, switched to Comptech sway bar with Comptech tie bar and switched to EP3-R/DC5-R with Skunk 2 tie bar on my EP3 and i can say, the tie bar does nothing really. You'll feel the oversteer more with the rear sway bar instead.

Reactions: rptdpa9
1 - 7 of 7 Posts