9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the 2012 coupe and sedan have considerable more body roll that the 2011's. This could very well be due the fact that Honda has engineered the 9th gen suspension to be geared towards luxury rather than sport handling.

If you compare the listed suspension between the two year cars, the only noticeable difference is the thickness of the front sway bars. 2011 has 23mm and 2012 has 18mm bars.

I wonder if I replaced the front bar with an after market 23mm (or perhaps 25mm) would it adversely affect over/under steering. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of mod?

·
Registered
348 Posts
When we road raced CRX's we had no sway bar up front and a huge one in the rear. Makes the rear come around a little quicker= faster for the track. I would wait to see what type of whole suspension kits are to come out. Bars and springs would be sweet!! My 8th gen si did handle better than my 9th gen Si. Softer you're right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting that comparing the 2011 and 2012 si coupes suspensions, the 2011 has 17mm rear and 28mm front bars vs the 2012 that has 15mm rear and 18mm front.

I would have thought the engineering for softer ride would be geared towards the EX and below models ...not the si.

I am looking at the EX coupe for myself (need the gas mileage for my daily commute) so I may just change out the front bar to 23 or 25mm to equal the specs from the 2011 models. This would also be the same as on my RSX.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stock suspension setups are tuned as a whole component. In other words, they relate to the tires. Ex. If the tires arent summer and traction rated, the bigger swaybars will cause oversteer. Once you upgrade to stickier and wider tires, you want larger swaybars to bring it back to a stock balance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know because I usually go for the companies that are a little more expansive and have a good track record with their parts.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Need larger rear sway bar ftw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any thought as to why Honda may have changed the sway bars? Does it truly handle worse because of this? This is what is said on the website:

Revised to be stiffer and more responsive for 2012, the Si's MacPherson strut and multi-link rear suspension improves feedback and provides a good balance of taut performance and overall ride comfort.

Is this "revised" suspension supposed to make up for it in some way?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just talked to Adam at Civic.com. It is the bar only...no hardware. Which you don't need. It would be nice if it was upgraded to poly bushings. It is adj-2 holes and 19mm. So you can make it stiffer in the rear for more rotation. They said springs were in the works.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sway Bar upgrade for $100

Hey spazerboy found an adjustable 19mm rear sway bar for $100...Eibach!!! Look it up on the Suspension topic if interested. It will help handling out!! I'm getting one!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd hold out for something like a 23mm offered by Progress for the 8thGen. The 8thGen came stock with 17mm, ...and I don't think an extra 2mm from that would do much compared to what a 23mm feels like. Although I guess if you can't wait, 19mm is hella better than that measily 15mm.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You really can't just look at swaybar specs , you don't know if spring rate went up . you would need all specs of suspension including how long swaybar arms are . there more to it the numbers they give.

From few reviews I have read i could of swore they said it handled better , that does not mean it has more or less body roll .

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 2 adjustment holes are for soft or hard?? Could maybe lift a wheel in a turn...LOL

1 - 20 of 920 Posts