9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has done the tail light mod where the light on the spoiler flashes 3 times before staying on steady,
I think this would be a good mod as i seem to have people not see that i am breaking and i love the fact that it draws attention to me when i am breaking

What would this mod be called and how to i get it done

·
I Need A Vacation
13,261 Posts
Certain jurisdictions it is illegal to have a blinking brake light and that includes spoiler or any centre mounted brake light. Where I live I've heard of guys who have that blinking middle light that's mounted under the bumper get ticketed so YMMV.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It also looks really stupid in bumper to bumper traffic. Yes I know you're coming to a stop, we're all coming to a stop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not illegal here where i live thats why i was asking here if anyone has done it

BFAIDED1984 i dont care if you think it looks stupid, its not going on your car, this is a mod i was asking to do to the vehicle that I paid for,

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
it's a plug in type resistor or something like that. i think i used to see Dodge cars with those for a year or so. it was annoying, but, if you like it, so be it.

also, i see your from the north...as is Kevin above...who knows folks of being ticketed.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
Rather than saying it looks stupid, before purchasing, please consider how annoying it is to the driver behind the car with the flashing brake light(s) in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've never seen this available, but I think it could be more useful and less annoying if it was also hooked to a G-sensor. So, during normal or light braking, no flashing brake lights -- just regular steady brake lights. But when doing hard braking, then it could flash the brake lights -- or at least the center brake light -- a few times first to warn people behind you that you're slamming the brakes. I don't know how legal that would be, but it would eliminate the constant flashing in bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dont know what its called but my friend had it on his truck. What annoyed me was hearing the clicking noise everytime he press the brake. (Like the blinker but faster) that was a long time ago and maybe they made it quiet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kev lives in Alberta, thats 3000 km away from my Provence, my Provence is't as strict when it comes to the highway traffic act, I only want the tail light on the spoiler to flash 3 times then stay on steady, not a constant flash like i think some of you are thinking,
i have been rear ended twice now my stupid people that said they were not paying attention, this way the flashing will or should draw there attention to the slowing vehicle in front of them,

I live in a city with only 300k people in it and i rarely ever hit bumper to bumper traffic as we just dont have the lvl of cars per city that a lot of other city's do, i think its a great mod for safety because it should attract the attention of drivers to the flashing light and give them time to stop so they can stop hitting me

·
I Need A Vacation
13,261 Posts
kev lives in Alberta, thats 3000 km away from my Provence, my Provence is't as strict when it comes to the highway traffic act, I only want the tail light on the spoiler to flash 3 times then stay on steady, not a constant flash like i think some of you are thinking,
i have been rear ended twice now my stupid people that said they were not paying attention, this way the flashing will or should draw there attention to the slowing vehicle in front of them,

I live in a city with only 300k people in it and i rarely ever hit bumper to bumper traffic as we just dont have the lvl of cars per city that a lot of other city's do, i think its a great mod for safety because it should attract the attention of drivers to the flashing light and give them time to stop so they can stop hitting me
I'm in BC. Usually you get rear ended one because the driver is distracted or two they are going too fast to stop. A blinking spoiler light isn't going to make any difference in those scenarios. I've been rear ended more than a few times and every time I was going very slow or stopped and got hit that means the driver was distracted or not paying attention so there was nothing I could of done to avoid it. If this gives you piece of mind than go for it but I'm just saying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i tell ya one thing, when im driving around and i see others with this type of mod, my attention is drawn to that light and i know that they are breaking,, i think this is a wonderfull mod

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have thought about doing this mod with a microcontroller.
I haven't done it because the proper way to do it (IMHO) would require another power source in addition to the brake signal.
My thoughts are to only allow the flash if the brake lights have been off for 30 seconds or more. Otherwise, the third brake light would simply follow the main brake lights.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've been running a flash module for the last 3 years and it definitely keeps people off my ass when braking. I also have it setup to be a running light so if someone is on my ass and I don't want to brake then I turn it on and they think I'm braking and back off. Mine is adjustable for the speed and how many times it can flash before going steady on. I left it default of 5 times but you can go lower or higher. I think there is 21 settings on it if I recall. I have the led reflectors, rear fog lamp and 3rd brake light all flash. I left the tails alone though.

http://instagr.am/p/BWOpNMilfxL/
http://instagr.am/p/BRxAXMUFMXo/
3rd video on this post shows a brief braking (click the arrow on the right) for next video).
http://instagr.am/p/CATG49blmQe/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts