9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if our 9th gen Civic are affected? I haven't seen a recall or something from Honda.

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Throughout the whole Takata debacle, the only Civic's I've seen on the list were 2001-2005 models. I was a bit surprised to see 2006-2011 models left off, honestly.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Any source to back that up? They've recently expanded the number of cars affected to almost 34 million. Air bag recall expected to be largest in U.S. history

For those wondering about recalls on their car you can visit Honda's website and enter your VIN. Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site
I don't have a written source and my contact, for such info, has since retired.
I'll contact his replacement and see if there is public record on the subject.

Or, enter your VIN on the site you posted and see that no recalls on airbags exist... today.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here's an article with a lot more info. Everything You Need to Know About the Takata Airbag Recall - Consumer Reports News

One interesting tidbit from the article is that Takata has to make the replacement airbags. Yup, the company who made the defective ones will be making the replacement ones and it could take a few years to replace them all.

Replacements are priority based... meaning those in very hot and humid climates will get the replacements first. Sucks for us Canadians, but then our airbags won't be as affected.

I'm assuming it will take a while for Honda to compile the data and figure out which cars are affected.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Their CEO has probably already done the hari kari thing. This is a pretty big "oopsie" and not really good for the P&L statements....or people, or reputations. Best thing to do is not get in a wreck and for gubment require a minimum of 120 IQ to get a license. That would remove most people from the roads. ;)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Sorry about the format that's how it appears in my email.

Safety & Environment News Daily Update - 5/20/15
AUTOMOBILE NHTSA Recall

Manufacture | MY/Model | Possible | Reason for Recall | Remedy
r | | # of | |
| | Affected | |
| | Vehicles | |
--------------+------------+------------+------------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------
Takata | PSPI | 3,300,000 | Takata has determined that some model PSPI | Takata will be working with vehicle
Corporation | airbag | | airbag inflators assembled as part of the | manufacturers to identify into which
| inflators | | frontal passenger airbag module for certain | vehicles the affected inflators were
| in 2003 | | model year 2003 Honda Accord vehicles and | installed either as original or
| Honda | | certain model year 2001-2006 Honda Civic. | replacement equipment during service. As
| Accord | | vehicles, and used as original or replacement | this work progresses, numerous vehicle
| and | | equipment during service, may rupture from | recalls will likely be announced by the
| 2001-2006 | | exposure to persistent conditions of high | impacted vehicle manufacturers. NOTE:
| Honda | | absolute humidity and/or due to manufacturing | This recall is being conducted in
| Civic | | variability. In the event of a crash | phases, with the first phase to address
| | | necessitating deployment of the passenger side | vehicles sold or ever registered in the
| | | frontal airbag, the inflator could rupture | areas of high absolute humidity and that
| | | with metal fragments striking and potentially | have indicated the highest risk in
| | | seriously injuring the vehicle occupants. | testing and field experience. This
| | | (15E043000) | recall is in addition to prior recalls
| | | | 13V-132, 14V-349, 14V-353, 14V-700,
| | | | 13E-017, and 14E-073.
--------------+------------+------------+------------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------
Takata | PSPI-L | 5,200,000 | Takata has determined that some model PSPI-L | Takata will be working with vehicle
Corporation | passenger | | passenger frontal airbag inflators assembled | manufacturers to determine into which
| frontal | | as part of the passenger frontal airbag module | vehicles the affected inflators were
| airbag | | for certain model year 2004-2007 Honda Accord | installed either as original or
| inflators | | vehicles and certain model year 2003-2007 | replacement equipment during service. As
| in | | Toyota Corolla, Matrix and Pontiac Vibe | this work progresses, numerous vehicle
| 2004-2007 | | vehicles, used as original or replacement | recalls will likely be announced by the
| Honda | | equipment during service, may rupture from | impacted vehicle manufacturers. NOTE:
| Accord | | exposure to persistent conditions of high | This recall is being conducted in
| and | | absolute humidity and/or due to manufacturing | phases, with the first phase to address
| 2003-2007 | | variability. In the event of a crash | vehicles sold or ever registered in the
| Toyota | | necessitating deployment of the passenger side | areas of high absolute humidity and that
| Corolla, | | frontal airbag, the inflator could rupture | have indicated the highest risk in
| Toyota | | with metal fragments striking and potentially | testing and field experience. This
| Matric, | | seriously injuring the vehicle occupants. | recall is in addition to prior recalls
| Pontiac | | (15E042000) | 13V-132, 13V-133, 14V-312, 14V-349,
| Vibe | | | 14V-353, 14V-655, 14V-700, 13E-017, and
| | | | 14E-073.
Takata | SPI | 7,700,000 | Takata has determined that some model SPI | Takata will be working with vehicle
Corporation | airbag | | airbag inflators assembled as part of the | manufacturers to identify into which
| inflators | | passenger frontal airbag module for model year | vehicles the affected inflators were
| in | | 2001-2008 vehicles, and used as original or | installed, either as original or
| 2001-2008 | | replacement equipment during service, may | replacement equipment during service. As
| vehicles | | rupture from exposure to persistent conditions | this work progresses, numerous vehicle
| | | of high absolute humidity and/or due to | recalls will likely be announced by the
| | | manufacturing variability. In the event of a | impacted vehicle manufacturers. NOTE:
| | | crash necessitating deployment of the | This recall is in addition to prior
| | | passenger side frontal airbag, the inflator | recalls 13V-133, 13V-136, 14V-312,
| | | could rupture with metal fragments striking | 14V-340, 14V-343, 14V-350, 14V-361,
| | | and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle | 14V-399, 14V-421, 14V-471, 14V-655,
| | | occupants. (15E041000) | 14V-701, 14V-752, 14V-763, 14V-770,
| | | | 14V-787, 15V-226, 13E-017, and 14E-073.
Takata | PSDI, | 17,600,00 | Takata has determined that the batwing-shaped | Takata will be working with vehicle
Corporation | PSDI-4, | 0 | propellant in some PSDI, PSDI-4, and PSDI-4K | manufacturers to identify into which
| and | | airbag inflators assembled as part of the | vehicles the affected inflators were
| PSDI-4K | | frontal driver airbag module, and used as | installed either as original equipment,
| airbag | | original equipment, replacement equipment, or | replacement equipment, or as a recall
| inflators | | as a remedy part for a prior recall, may | remedy part. As this work progresses,
| | | rupture from exposure to persistent conditions | numerous vehicle recalls will likely be
| | | of high absolute humidity and/or due to | announced by the impacted vehicle
| | | manufacturing variability. In the event of a | manufacturers. NOTE: This recall is in
| | | crash necessitating deployment of the driver's | addition to prior recalls 08V-593,
| | | frontal airbag, the inflator could rupture | 09V-259, 10V-041, 11V-260, 14V-343,
| | | with metal fragments striking and potentially | 14V-344, 14V-348, 14V-351, 14V-802,
| | | seriously injuring the driver or other | 14V-817 and 15V-153.
| | | occupants. (15E040000) |

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Any source to back that up? They've recently expanded the number of cars affected to almost 34 million. Air bag recall expected to be largest in U.S. history

For those wondering about recalls on their car you can visit Honda's website and enter your VIN. Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site
I don't have a written source and my contact, for such info, has since retired.
I'll contact his replacement and see if there is public record on the subject.

Or, enter your VIN on the site you posted and see that no recalls on airbags exist... today.
My new contact does not have (or cannot provide) any information other than what I've already stated.
You could try calling Honda CR for Canada and see what they say.
Understand, if your car has not spent significant time in high humidity conditions. The chance of you getting hurt from the defective inflater is small.
Remember, first you have to crash the car... No crash, no deployment, no problem.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My new contact does not have (or cannot provide) any information other than what I've already stated.
You could try calling Honda CR for Canada and see what they say.
Understand, if your car has not spent significant time in high humidity conditions. The chance of you getting hurt from the defective inflater is small.
Remember, first you have to crash the car... No crash, no deployment, no problem.
Not really worried about crashing my car. But I can't control others who may plow into me and cause my airbags to deploy. Although I've never hit one, deer sometimes play on the highways where I live. And they can sometimes be stupid and unpredictable.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Not really worried about crashing my car.
But I can't control others who may plow into me and cause my airbags to deploy.
Although I've never hit one, deer sometimes play on the highways where I live.
And they can sometimes be stupid and unpredictable.
True you can't control other's stupidity.
Deer are pretty stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Can I disable SRS (front airbag system) by pulling the fuse? (Wife's RDX) There's a separate fuse just for this.

My car is out of commission with idle issues right now.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Can I disable SRS (front airbag system) by pulling the fuse? (Wife's RDX) There's a separate fuse just for this.

My car is out of commission with idle issues right now.
Disabling the airbag is a difficult decision, as death from bleeding out from shrapnel is real, however unlikely.

If you remove the SRS fuse(s) it will disable the whole system.
Would be better to just disconnect the airbag connector(s), for the airbag you want to disable, which I do not recommend.

Your choice as it's not my butt in the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah, I just need to know what pulling the fuse will do. I don't mind pulling the steering wheel apart either. Just need an extra vehicle while the Si is limping. lol

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah, I just need to know what pulling the fuse will do. I don't mind pulling the steering wheel apart either. Just need an extra vehicle while the Si is limping. lol
I didn't check for what else may share the SRS fuses; what year is your RDX?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
2013. The Manual says only SRS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts