9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 9th Gen Civic LX 4 door sedan and in a few days I will be moving from Dallas to San Francisco, filling up my Civic to the brim with household items and driving all the way alone since I am moving for a job. I have never driven more than 500 miles alone, and this is going to be almost 2000 miles! I plan to split it up into 3 long days. What are some of the tips and suggestions you guys would give me? It could be anything, regarding driving and mechanical things to take care of before starting off the long drive, what things to take along for roadside emergency/breakdown, anything and everything that can help me prepare for this trip is most welcome :)

PS: My Civic baby is now 11K miles down, and the 2nd oil change and first service is due which I will do before starting the long drive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think you allowing 3 days for this trip is a good idea. I would suggest no more than 600-700 miles per day because any more literally wears you (at least me) out. On long road trips, I usually take the normal sort of stuff: tools, jumper cables, check spare to make sure its properly inflated, oil, tires and the like before you leave. Make sure to bring your gps/cell charger, or a *gasp* road atlas. I don't know about you but I usually download tons of podcasts and an audiobook or two before I leave.

If you have more time, you'll probably be traveling through some really nice country, so allow yourself time to stop and see sights; it'll break up the monotony. Depending on your route, Albuquerque is beautiful, Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, Vegas, and the Hoover dam might be potential stops along the way. Also, if you really wanna have a great drive, I'd suggest hitting Hwy 1 along the coast of California for awhile--it might be slow going, but it's beautiful.

Most importantly, have fun and drive safely!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If you have more time, you'll probably be traveling through some really nice country, so allow yourself time to stop and see sights; it'll break up the monotony. Depending on your route, Albuquerque is beautiful, Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, Vegas, and the Hoover dam might be potential stops along the way. Also, if you really wanna have a great drive, I'd suggest hitting Hwy 1 along the coast of California for awhile--it might be slow going, but it's beautiful.

Most importantly, have fun and drive safely!
This +1000

·
Registered
222 Posts
you shouldnt have to worry about anything mechanical really. just double check all fluid levels, tire pressure ( i personally air it up to 38-40psi for couple extra mpg, its not high enough to wear tires out un-even)

have fun and make sure stop once every 4hrs or so to gas and walk around for few minutes.

drive safe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts