9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've owned my 2013 Si for about 4 years now and it's hands down the best car I've ever owned. I don't want to get rid of it. I was hoping to keep it until it fell apart, but I have an issue. Winter in NY can be harsh and this car doesn't handle snow well at all. I work in healthcare, so no matter what, I have to make it in to work. From a dead stop, even with new tires, my car just spins if there's even a little snow on the ground. Traction control, starting in 2nd gear, doesn't matter. It's just not a good car in bad weather.

I'm thinking of selling it for a WRX or an STI. I really don't want to, but I need AWD. Is there anything that can be done? I'm told winter tires wouldn't help much. I really hate to think of selling my car, but I don't see any other option. I'm hoping one of has a suggestion? Thanks in advance!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
I don't know, I've had three Civics in a row, and even with more than a little snow on the ground I have always been able to drive them.

I never use traction control.

Are you riding on summer/sport tires? All of mine have had all-seasons, two were 5ATs, and the one I have now is a 5MT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have all seasons on there. Even my Trans Am was better in the snow. I don't know how that's possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The T/A might have been better because it had wider tires, I would suggest getting winter tires, and if you don’t already, maybe get a set of winter wheels with winter tires that are wider than the oem ones

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't I be better off with more narrow tires, as Force/area= pressure? I know it was much heavier, so maybe that's why?

I'm just nervous, because my new job has me going all over Long Island, into Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island, etc. I need to be absolutely sure I can make it there and back home.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,817 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a set of premium snow tires. The difference between snow tires vs all weather tires vs all season tires as far as turning and stopping on snow is night and day.

And your thread title shouldn't be talk you out of selling your Si rather than talking you into buying a set of real winter tires. Also an WRX or STI with all seasons isn't going to be much better on snow than your Si. AWD only helps you get moving easier but when it comes to turning and stopping it is all about the tires. An Si with snow tires will run circles around a WRX STI with all seasons on snow lol.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Getting traction from a start in the snow is almost entirely down to the tire. I also live in NY, and I work in television so I have to drive through every snow storm as well. With Blizzak WS90s I can drive through most snow storms like its rain. In fact, it's funny you mention a WRX, the other day while driving in I came up behind a WRX who was struggling to get moving and I had to go around him. Yes AWD can help you get moving, especially on a hill, but the tire is the most important thing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The T/A might have been better because it had wider tires, I would suggest getting winter tires, and if you don’t already, maybe get a set of winter wheels with winter tires that are wider than the oem ones
For snow driving, wider tires are not advantageous for traction on the street. More weight over a smaller contact patch is preferable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This thread is why I have my Civic Si, and I have a beater Subaru. It's easy to find a 2005ish Subaru for a few thousand. It's cheaper than what you loose trading at a car lot.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,817 Posts
Finishing off a set of Blizzak WS80 handled everything I threw at it drove through snow like it was nothing made AWD and SUV look like fools out there. Moving to a set of the newly released Michelin Xice Snow next year to give them a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot, guys. I really though I was going to have to sell. This car has been incredibly reliable. Aside from 3 bad motor mounts, which were covered by my aftermarket warranty, I've had no trouble. I'm at 65k miles and even the clutch feels like it's new. Next year, I'll get a set of Blizzaks. I had no idea what a difference they would make.

My car is almost paid off, so I might start looking at modding now that I don't have to sell it. I'm thinking a downpipe, CAI, and a tune.

Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
This thread is why I have my Civic Si, and I have a beater Subaru. It's easy to find a 2005ish Subaru for a few thousand. It's cheaper than what you loose trading at a car lot.
I was thinking this is not a nice way to answer your question until I saw the above quote. I too had a 95 Civic that I loved but as you know crap in the snow. Got a 05 Element. Problem solved. It's great in the snow up to a point.
When I snows the Gen 9 goes to the Garage.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Tires. There's tons of videos out there showing how a FWD vehicle with winter tires can outperform an AWD with summer and even all season tires. No need to sell car you truly care for just to get awd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a '12 Civic Si Sedan and love the car. It was terrible in the snow with factory tires and when one of them blew on me I purchased a set of BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus tires. No these are not really designed for snow they perform better than the stock all season tires. They have the added benefit of being great in the summer and have long tread life. Those tires along with careful throttle and clutch control with traction control off (to start then on while driving) have served me very well.

All that said my Civic has graduated into my toy/summer car now that I have a truck. Good luck and stay safe out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. I've owned my 2013 Si for about 4 years now and it's hands down the best car I've ever owned. I don't want to get rid of it. I was hoping to keep it until it fell apart, but I have an issue. Winter in NY can be harsh and this car doesn't handle snow well at all. I work in healthcare, so no matter what, I have to make it in to work. From a dead stop, even with new tires, my car just spins if there's even a little snow on the ground. Traction control, starting in 2nd gear, doesn't matter. It's just not a good car in bad weather.

I'm thinking of selling it for a WRX or an STI. I really don't want to, but I need AWD. Is there anything that can be done? I'm told winter tires wouldn't help much. I really hate to think of selling my car, but I don't see any other option. I'm hoping one of has a suggestion? Thanks in advance!
I have a 2015 civic SI coupe, I live in Pennsylvania and we get some pretty good snows. I ordered a set of Blizzack snow tires and a cheaper set of aluminum rims. I got 17” rims to give my car and the suspension a little more cushion during the cold winter months. It also saves my original rims from road salt. I gotta tell ya, I BLAST through snow! Then when spring comes I just swap the tires. I mark them so when I put them back on the following year, they’re rotated.

·
Registered
5 Posts

So ive had my 12 si coupe for almost 7 years, i live in Wisconsin. I have a set of rims with winter tires and my stock rims with performance all seasons for spring,summer,fall. The winter tires make a HUGE difference. I plow through it all right with the pick up trucks.. i love this car too, definitely recommend getting a winter set of rims and tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, guys. I'm thinking I'll put snow tires on the heavy stock rims and I'll get a set of lighter rims with performance tires for the nicer weather.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll do a downpipe, a tune, an Acuity shifter, 22mm rear swaybar, and the HFP suspension package. From what I'm reading, a cat back, intake, and even an aftermaket intake manifold aren't really worth it.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2015 si sedan : acuity/rbc/rdx/plm/hondata/etunez
431 Posts
i’m rocking snow tires on the factory rim, no traction control, car does great in the winter for me.
if you toss any engine bolt ons you will need a hondata or ktuner and tuning.
from what i read on here, the rear sway bar is a great mod, shifters are always fun too.
good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts