9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if the answer is obvious but I'm curious. My 2012 hybrid's tank capacity is listed as 13.2 gallons which I think is the same for all 2012 models. My low fuel indicator kicks in when the remaining "range" on my car display says that has just under 25 miles left. I always fill up the tank within this 25 mile timeframe and I notice that I only fill around 10 gallons each time. Where is the mystery three gallons? I get that some of it is in the fuel lines and some is in the tank but does that all add up to three gallons? Is the range actually displaying a very conservative number so that when it says 25 miles left, it really is a bit more? Please educate me here.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
The answer - below the pickup. My old Pathfinder had a 21 gallon tank and the low indicator light came on when there was 5 gallons left in the tank. It all depends on where that pickup is and what reading makes it indicate "low fuel". I push mine beyond the flow fuel indication all the time. I often go 20-30 miles past that point because I know that when I fill up I'll put in 11-11.5 gallons.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yup, happens to me all of the time. The Navi unit trip computer says I have 3 miles left on range and I put in 10.something gallons. I have lately taken to checking that same readout on the trip computer after I fill up and, if it says I have 445 mile range, I know the tank is filled.

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
when all bars are gone I have figured I have atleast 2 gallons left. its the sameway on the tundra.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all your comments are very informative.

FooBird, I am less ignorant now, thanks.

steve47co1, I should have thought about checking the range right after filling up and it makes sense now I think about it (my full tank range is somewhere around 600-ish, give or take).

N8vSi, your comment also makes sense and I would have some good 2+ gallons left if I ran the bars and the range to zero. Does the range reading drop into the negatives once you go past zero?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I drove my Si down to the point where there were *no* "bars" left on the fuel gauge. And there was still some gas in the tank, since I was able to drive to a gas station :)

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Thanks, all your comments are very informative.

FooBird, I am less ignorant now, thanks.

steve47co1, I should have thought about checking the range right after filling up and it makes sense now I think about it (my full tank range is somewhere around 600-ish, give or take).

N8vSi, your comment also makes sense and I would have some good 2+ gallons left if I ran the bars and the range to zero. Does the range reading drop into the negatives once you go past zero?
I doubt that it'll go negative, you'll just stay at zero. My range display updates all the time. Starts out saying 450 miles or so, but keeps going down down down and I get about 315 miles for 11 gallons or so in my Si.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
725 Posts
I doubt that it'll go negative, you'll just stay at zero. My range display updates all the time. Starts out saying 450 miles or so, but keeps going down down down and I get about 315 miles for 11 gallons or so in my Si.

Wow, Foo; that's terrible and at sea level, too - do you drive with your foot into VTEC all the time? With all of my mods and living at 5,000 feet above sea level, I get 32 all the time and that's combined highway and city. If I get on I-25 or I-70 and just drive highway, I get 35mpg. AF ratio is at 13.0:1.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Wow, Foo; that's terrible and at sea level, too - do you drive with your foot into VTEC all the time? With all of my mods and living at 5,000 feet above sea level, I get 32 all the time and that's combined highway and city. If I get on I-25 or I-70 and just drive highway, I get 35mpg. AF ratio is at 13.0:1.
Crappy traffic all the time everywhere. Let me onto a road without bad drivers clogging it up, I'll get 35+. 28-29 mpg regularly for me. Once I get off the freeway, the streets are busy too and lots of stop signs, street lights, and people wandering across the street.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is one of the reasons we left Seattle (Mercer Island) in 1993 for Colorado - the traffic was brutal and only getting worse plus the "significant drizzle" factor weighed into our decision making process, too. We look at it this way; we traded 300 days (annually) of gloom for 300 days of sunshine.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
That is one of the reasons we left Seattle (Mercer Island) in 1993 for Colorado - the traffic was brutal and only getting worse plus the "significant drizzle" factor weighed into our decision making process, too. We look at it this way; we traded 300 days (annually) of gloom for 300 days of sunshine.
If only...

·
Registered
725 Posts
We were in our early 40's when we did it - sold the house in one day for $50K more than asking price; ton of equity/profit and took off SE to CO. Figured it out from there. The universe always provides when you are open to it. Or something like that. Luck helps, too. And a small nest egg (which is all gone now - good thing the kids didn't want to go to college, huh?).

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Every Honda motorcycle I've owned did the same thing. BMW motorcycles do too.

It's a law of physics and Obama's way of saying there is no energy shortage therefore, we don't need to drill or frack. We do, however, need to f--k up the country's balance of payments by sending billions to the middle east instead of drilling on federal land (our land). That's a comprehensive answer to your question and the phenomenal relationship between physics and bad politics......

Just let me know if you need to understand this issue better ; ) Good question!

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Every Honda motorcycle I've owned did the same thing. BMW motorcycles do too.

It's a law of physics and Obama's way of saying there is no energy shortage therefore, we don't need to drill or frack. We do, however, need to f--k up the country's balance of payments by sending billions to the middle east instead of drilling on federal land (our land). That's a comprehensive answer to your question and the phenomenal relationship between physics and bad politics......

Just let me know if you need to understand this issue better ; ) Good question!
Enter Roadcourse...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

Traffic is way, way worse than in 1993.
Colorado is nice but no ocean and too cold in the winter. I've lived in this area for 37 years so the rain/gray doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a '12 Si and fill up with one bar left or about 15 miles range on the iMid. The pump will click off a little past 10 gallons but I top off the tank and get about 12.3. That's about a gallon is left.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,386 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a '12 Si and fill up with one bar left or about 15 miles range on the iMid. The pump will click off a little past 10 gallons but I top off the tank and get about 12.3. That's about a gallon is left.
That is what I am doing now but I think I may back off that practice when it gets hot out this summer. Give room for expansion.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Traffic is way, way worse than in 1993.
Colorado is nice but no ocean and too cold in the winter. I've lived in this area for 37 years so the rain/gray doesn't bother me much.
Depends where you live.......when we first moved here, we moved to the mountains and the winters seemed to get longer and the summers shorter as time went on. Now we live on the Front Range - think Denver area - temps and snowfall very moderate. I do miss the ocean, though; many a year of sailing out of Shilshole Marina to points north............

1 - 20 of 41 Posts