9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys so I've been pondering this question for a bit now and cannot seem to come to a satisfactory conclusion of my own.

MTF...
LSD Oil...
GEAR Oil...

I'm looking into synthetics for all three on my Si. My question is can I use one for all? Or are they all the same anyways? I mean, is there three diffirent locations to perform maintenance with here or do they all share the same fluid? Looking at these products closely it appears they all do the same job, with the LSD being the highest performer or 'most stressed' hi-tension out of the trio. I want my ride rolling like a ball bearing and I want it right, and I want it to last me a long long time. If there's anyone with experience in this, your knowledge would be appreciated. :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
248 Posts
all those things are inside the transmission. You only need MTF, I use either Torco RTF or Amsoil MTF. Both fluids are very good fluids and work better than honda mtf.

·
Registered
908 Posts
^^ what he said. your transmission is a transaxle, which means it has the differential inside the transmission housing along with the transmission gears...

So your transmission has inside: All gears 1-6 on the counter and mainshafts, reverse, your final drive, and the limited slip differential.

Our car is designed to run a 90 weight gear oil, which is exactly what honda MTF is. So... just run that.

The debate for the best MTF raged on 8th for so long, people use redline, amsoil, royal purple, gm synchromesh, oem, torco... everything under the sun. I've used most of these.

Guess which one i use now? Honda OEM. It provides the most consistent performance if you change it every 10k. You can change oem fluid every 10k and it would be like changing amsoil every 20k.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
^^ what he said. your transmission is a transaxle, which means it has the differential inside the transmission housing along with the transmission gears...

So your transmission has inside: All gears 1-6 on the counter and mainshafts, reverse, your final drive, and the limited slip differential.

Our car is designed to run a 90 weight gear oil, which is exactly what honda MTF is. So... just run that.

The debate for the best MTF raged on 8th for so long, people use redline, amsoil, royal purple, gm synchromesh, oem, torco... everything under the sun. I've used most of these.

Guess which one i use now? Honda OEM. It provides the most consistent performance if you change it every 10k. You can change oem fluid every 10k and it would be like changing amsoil every 20k.
Is it worth changing it every 10k?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yes, IMO, it is worth changing every 10k. It's only 16 dollars for the 1.66 quarts you need to fill the transmission and it results in very smooth shifting performance.

And since you get a 1/3 of a quart leftover you can sometimes only buy 1 quart

it should go:

2 quarts
2 quarts
1 quart
2 quarts
2 quarts
1 quart

At least that's how i do it :D

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Yes, IMO, it is worth changing every 10k. It's only 16 dollars for the 1.66 quarts you need to fill the transmission and it results in very smooth shifting performance.

And since you get a 1/3 of a quart leftover you can sometimes only buy 1 quart

it should go:

2 quarts
2 quarts
1 quart
2 quarts
2 quarts
1 quart

At least that's how i do it :D
Do you perform a flush and use some sort of cleaner or just drain the old stuff and add the new? Also as dumb as it sounds I wouldn't mind seeing a DIY on this... just because I've never done it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Drain... refill. that's all there is to it. ALWAYS break loose the fill bolt first fyi, because if you drain your fluid and then can't get the fill bolt off... o_O

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I only use Amsoil Manual Synchromest Transmission Fuild for my 7thgen si and had great results with it but I've never used it for the 9thgen si yet. Amsoil's web page doesn't specify it for the 9thgen though. USDM 7thgen didn't have LSD as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It simple to do. I do mine every other oil change. About 8-9K. I've done it twice now. Once after break in and I just did it again last weekend.

You'll need
17mm wrench
3/8 drive ratchet
2 Qrts MTF (of your choice)
Crush washers for drain and fill plugs

1. Loosen lug nut on LF tire.
2. Jack up car on left side and crawl under.(take drip pan,wrench and ratchet)
3.Loosen Fill plug(do not take it out!! If you do the MTF will come screaming out of there and get on the frame. Trust me it makes a mess)
4.Remove drain plug with 3/8 drive ratchet
5.Let MTF drain. When it slows down remove the fill plug and it will fully drain not making a mess.
6.Put drain plug back in with new crush washer and tighten.

Now pay attention. The first time I did it I used a cheap transfer pump from Kragen. Works ok but Blows air with the fluid and you don't want that. This time I got a little funnel with a long tube.

7. Remove tire. (Look behind the Damper and you will see the open fill hole and drain plug)
8. Lower car so it is level. (important so you get enough fluid in there)
9. Insert funnel in fill hole and pour MTF in "SLOWLY". Fill until it starts to drain out of fill hole. (this can be done from the wheel well)
10. Reinstall fill plug and new crush washer and tighten.
11. Put tire Back on. Lower Jack
12. DONE

Or you can pay a tranny shop 50-100 bucks to do 20 mins of work.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I agree with Steve. I remember back on ephatch.com, a moderator guru always advised members to change their transmission fluid every other oil change and he never ran into trouble with his stock k-series tranny.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
a moderator guru always advised members to change their transmission fluid every other oil change
Under normal driving conditions, changing the transmission fluid that often is just throwing money away.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's $20 to change the fluid every few months. I dont think it'll put me in the poorhouse. I have a 94 Accord that I got when I graduated High School. I drove it 165K my cousin put 50K on it and my kid put another 100K on it. Its got 315K and still going strong. I change the oil every 3-4K , tranny fluid everyother oil change and a tuneup every 40K. In its life the water pump,valve cover gasket and cooling fan are the only thing I've changed. It passed smog last month with flying colors and doesn't leak anywhere. IMO regular maintenance is key. I hear what your saying however it gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You got your facts wrong...
90w gear oil should never be used where MTF is specified.
Tell that to redline (MTL 70w80 is what you can use in our transmission).

Honda MTF is 75w80 light gear oil. The old MTF with a red cap was 90 weight.

viscosity wise, 90 weight is similar to 10w30 engine oil

Honda MTF is more like 5w20.

Honda will also tell you that 10w30 engine oil is ok to use in the transmission in a pinch... if for some reason you don't have fluid in there.

Gear oil and engine oil are just different numbers. The numbers are different, but viscosity wise, they're the same. The only differences would be any additives for the different functionality.

20 dollars every few months isn't going to hurt anyone, and it's worth it to keep the transmission shifting more smoothly. Honda recommends 60k, which is atrociously long to go on with notchy ass shifting characteristics.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I go to NTB get 0W-20 its a $120.00 oil change for $20 bucks , hookup, best oil, and every 15k fuel cleanser thats like $90 , all I do is tip lol

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Tell that to redline (MTL 70w80 is what you can use in our transmission).

Honda MTF is 75w80 light gear oil. The old MTF with a red cap was 90 weight.

viscosity wise, 90 weight is similar to 10w30 engine oil

Honda MTF is more like 5w20.

Honda will also tell you that 10w30 engine oil is ok to use in the transmission in a pinch... if for some reason you don't have fluid in there.

Gear oil and engine oil are just different numbers. The numbers are different, but viscosity wise, they're the same. The only differences would be any additives for the different functionality.

20 dollars every few months isn't going to hurt anyone, and it's worth it to keep the transmission shifting more smoothly. Honda recommends 60k, which is atrociously long to go on with notchy ass shifting characteristics.
I agree, the k-series tranny is well known for the notchyness. Although I usually change my tranny fuild every 30K.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts