9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has trouble starting a lot lately. Every time i jump start it, everything resets. Some have told me that the alternator is bad but im starting to think its a computer problem how can i tell

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Take it to the dealership if your car is still under warranty.And welcome to the site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
how's your battery?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
My car has trouble starting a lot lately. Every time i jump start it, everything resets. Some have told me that the alternator is bad but im starting to think its a computer problem how can i tell
Only after the battery has tested good and is fully charged, can the charging system be diagnosed.
Anything else is guessing and costly...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Computers are the most commonly mis-diagnosed failure. There's a 99.999% chance that *anything* else is the problem. Probably a shorted cell in the battery or something simple like that, especially if it's not holding a charge. Also, if your alternator wasn't bad before, having it try to charge an f'd up battery for days on end is definitely going to tax it.

If you have the means, get that battery on a trickle charger until it says it's charged up. Run your headlights for about 10 seconds to dissipate surface charge, then measure the voltage across the terminals. 12.6 volts is your target, but 12.3 or so would be acceptable, but not great. If the number starts with 11 or less, you've definitely got a bad battery. Replace that first. With your new battery installed, turn on your car, then turn on the lights, foglights, high beams, a/c, crank the radio, etc (put max load on the battery so the the alternator is forced to turn on). Measure the voltage across the terminals. Anything less than 13.3 at idle is *probably* bad. If you have someone crank it up to 2000 RPM while you check the voltage, and still see less than 13.3, it's definitely bad. Shut down and replace the alternator.

If you don't have the means to do that process, you can pull both parts out, take them to Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, and they'll do the checks for free.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
or if you are still under warranty, take it to the dealer and get it checked. If bad they will have to change it for free on the spot.

You might want to search for our famous battery issue thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts