9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a '14 SI coupe that has TEIN Street Advance Coilovers that were installed prior to me buying it. I was expecting the ride to be extremely harsh but its quite comfortable.

There really isnt anything wrong with it except its very low - I can stick one finger between the tire and fender and it feels to me like its over sprung and under dampened. Id like to raise the car .5" and look at the settings for the dampening but I havent had the time yet. Ive seen videos of how to adjust the height but nothing about changing the dampening settings. Is it only controlled by the top hex? I know I need to pull off my windshield cowl to access the top hats for the front struts but how do I get access to the rears?

Thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
They are pretty comfortable aren't they? They did a good job with their spring rates and dampening, but the fact that the front coilovers retain the OEM top mount is a big reason they don't feel harsh in the front.

However, the front coilover design is also why you may be getting odd handling. These don't have independent height adjustment in the front (fixed perch). The only way you can "adjust the height" is by compressing the front spring, which of course screws up the handling. Tein actually recommends in it's instructions to NOT do this and leave it where they ship it.

If you bring it back up to those recommended settings (collars set to be snug against the bottom of the spring) you'll be at a good ride height (close to what Swift springs or Eibach Pro-Kits will get you).

You can get at the front top adjustments by just pulling off the access covers from the cowl and the rears by removing the carpeted side covers from inside the trunk. Just gotta remove a few pop-clips.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm well before I mess anything up, how do you know if they were installed with the same height settings from the factory? I'll see if I can get a pic I guess. I imagine the collars would always be snug against the spring?

I don't want to mess it up by raising the car up if it's already where it should be set by TEIN.

Ill focus on playing with the dampening then. How do you know what it's set to? Do you just count the tick marks on the top? My Google-flu was weak looking for information on this.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
MVIMG_20200915_091016.jpg

Best pic I could get of the front strut and spring. Can we tell anything about it? Sorry I'm a mega noob. The last car I had with a modified suspension was my 01 impreza 2.5rs in 2002 lol.

I'm just wondering if you meant that they are snug when the suspension isn't compressed.. Like I'd need to look at it with the front jacked up?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ride height - loosen the two green collars and raise/lower the top perch to the desired height. You will likely need to jack up and lower it down multiple times while you adjust everything. Best to leave the wheels on. Lock the collars back onto each other once complete.

Dampening - the street advance are 16 way adjustable. Turn the adjustment knob (hex key) to the right until is stops. This is full hard. Turn back from there to soften it up. Do not loosen it any more than 16 clicks. When adjusting always go back to full hard and turn back from there.

Hopefully the PO included the spanner wrenches and damper key...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ride height - loosen the two green collars and raise/lower the top perch up to the desired height. You will likely need to jack up and lower ot down multiple times while you adjust everything. Best to leave the wheels on. Lock the collars back onto each other once complete.

Dampening - the street advance are 16 way adjustable. Turn the adjustment knob (hex key) to the right until is stops. This is full hard. Turn back from there to soften it up. Do not loosen it any more than 16 clicks. When adjusting always go back to full hard and turn back from there.

Hopefully the PO included the spanner wrenches and damper key...

I did find the damper key in the glove box..The spanner wrenches might be with the spare tire - I havent had the time or memory to check there yet.

So how would I know if the front springs are at the height they were shipped at?

Im seriously impressed with how well this car handles, it reminds me of my Subaru .. I give it throttle and it just pulls through the turns. Now I dont drive 10/10 on the street but it feels very neutral with slight oversteer with the bridgestone all season tires that came on it.

I appreciate you telling me how to adjust the dampening.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't a thing. They are not shipped at any predetermined height.

Oh I was going off of what BWill9886 posted above.

So how do I know that they arent bottomed out or just too low? My car isn't on a flat surface here but it's the only one I have of the side currently. I don't want it to be so low that it'll mess the struts up.
IMG_20200906_111856.jpg

Or what would I need to measure to see what the ride height is?

I again apologize for being an ultra noob.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So how do I know that they arent bottomed out or just too low? My car isn't on a flat surface here but it's the only one I have of the side currently. I don't want it to be so low that it'll mess the struts up. View attachment 492510

The min/max height is limited by the threaded collar. TEIN suggests you stay about middle of the range. From the pic you posted the car is not at max low, there are still threads left. Nothing wrong with the way the car sits now. You aren't going to damage the suspension.

Setting the ride height should be done on level surface and you can mostly eyeball it or use a tape measure to check the fender height, etc.

You will need to have the car aligned after the ride height is changed.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The min/max height is limited by the threaded collar. TEIN suggests you stay about middle of the range. From the pic you posted the car is not at max low, there are still threads left. Nothing wrong with the way the car sits now. You aren't going to damage the suspension.

Setting the ride height should be done on level surface and you can mostly eyeball it or use a tape measure to check the fender height, etc.

You will need to have the car aligned after the ride height is changed.

Oh awesome, Yeah I just didnt want the car at max low / slammed. I didnt know how low this could go and it looked low as hell (I was looking at another bone stock '14 si so the ride height difference was very apparent).

Ill leave the height alone for now and just focus on the damper settings once I have time. I seriously appreciate your help!

·
Registered
411 Posts
This isn't a thing. They are not shipped at any predetermined height.
To clarify this: You are typically correct. They are usually shipped "assembled" and you make your own adjustments.

With the Advance Z, they just snug them up to a modest pre-load, which is their recommended setting. With the Flex Z they actually ship at their recommended height (at least mine did). This is just for the fronts btw.

Oh I was going off of what BWill9886 posted above.

So how do I know that they arent bottomed out or just too low? My car isn't on a flat surface here but it's the only one I have of the side currently. I don't want it to be so low that it'll mess the struts up. View attachment 492510

You actually look right at where you should be dude. Looks good. Just enough gap to keep it functional.

I'd suggest playing with the dampening settings if you are getting odd behavior.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
With the Advance Z, they just snug them up to a modest pre-load, which is their recommended setting. With the Flex Z they actually ship at their recommended height (at least mine did).
I think the main difference there is that the flex series has pillow ball mounts and separate preload/height adjustment. The basis and advance do not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think the main difference there is that the flex series has pillow ball mounts and separate preload/height adjustment. The basis and advance do not.
You are correct sir. Just thought it was interesting given that, like you, I'd not seen a company actually send it at a specific recommended setting. They had those things on gorilla tight too.

Then again, most companies will not even give you one so there's that...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts