9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a weekend toy/2nd car, it doesn't have to be reliable. It's going to be a garage queen. But knowing that a new performance car costs around 50k out the door (taxes, tags, a few ticks on the option box)

But on the other hand 50k can get you a lot of neat stuff that's been gently used and modded cars that have lost their resale value, to enjoy occasionally.

If you had the money which would you buy and why?

Some new cars for around 50k
Alfa Romeo 4C
BMW M235i
Dodge Hellcat (Base price under 60k)
Chevy Camaro SS
Ford Focus RS
Mercedes CLA45
Nismo 370z
Shelby GT350 (base price under 60k)
Subaru STI
Volkswagen Golf R

Someone else's project car (Range will vary)
Audi RS4
BMW M3 E46-E90
Buick GNX
Chevy Corvette Z06 C6
Honda S2000
Foxbody Mustang (if they're asking 30-40k for one, there's something ridiculous under the hood)
Mazda RX7 FD
Mitsubishi Lancer EVOIX MR
Nissan GT-R (pre 2010 R35 and early 90's R32)
Porsche Cayman
Toyota Supra

Some depreciated exotics that be had for less than 50k
1990's Acura NSX
Aston Martin DB7
BMW M5 E60
Bentley Continental GT (2007 and earlier)
Dodge Viper SRT-10 (3rd gen)
Ferrari F355
Jaguar XKR
Lotus Elise
Maserati Gran-Sport
Mercedes SL55 AMG
Porsche 996 Turbo

·
Registered
989 Posts
this is probably just personal taste, but me, I'd 100% go for the Porsche 996 Turbo. Runner-up being the 90's NSX.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If I was buying new I would go with the CLA45..mostly cuz I have seen one too many brand new american cars (still wearing paper plates and dealer tags) broken down on the side of the freeway and therefore have a personal gripe with them....I wouldn't trust buying a used modded car but if I was to choose from the used, standard list I'd go with the bentley 2007 because it looks highly similar to the new continentals on the outside at least and buying a car that looks new for that much of a cheap rate is a steal to me. (Provided the owner has cared for it and hasn't thrashed the mechanics of course)

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,185 Posts
1975-'77 Porsche 930 Turbo
1965-'66 Ford Mustang GT350, preferably white with the blue stripes.
Late '60s Triumph TR6
Mid-'60s to mid-'70s Mini Cooper 1275cc

Not all of these are around $50k, but they are the cars that always come to mind first.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Shopping for an "exotic" with the word "budget" is usually a recipe for disaster.
Even something like an older NSX (which would probably have the best projected reliability) has costs that go along with it besides basic maintenance (i.e. they eat rear tires).
I would probably stay away from anything German/Italian/English, and certainly anyone else's modified "project".
If it were me, I'd try to find gently used 2013 Corvette 427 convertible. You get the incredible dry-sump LS7 and associated go-fast bits in a highly-desirable (for a garage queen/pleasure car) convertible body style.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-news

[url]http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-instrumented-test-review

[/URL]

·
Registered
53 Posts
For more of an exotic car, definitely the NSX. But if I had 50k of spending money, a 370z would be the runner up. I have a lot of experience with them and they are fun and reliable. Motors are cheap if I even wanted a new one, and there's tons of parts. I'd probably buy an extra motor to get built and supercharged, buy the best suspension setups possible and still have leftover from the 50k. Especially if I got a 350z instead (which I always liked a little more).

The NSX wouldn't be touched haha. Other than exhaust and coilovers that would stay stock.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of the new cars, the Shelby GT350 looks like a car that will hold it's value for a long time. And I agree when buying a used performance car, you have to wonder if it was a 100,000 dollar car beaten down to 50k value.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would buy two Si's and put them in a bubble....a Sedan and Coupe, because they are the modern interpretation of the E30 M3. They're already selling for more than MSRP used!!!!! :wigglesmiley: So yea....Civic Si ftw all century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dancingcoolsmiley: :haysmiley:

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I would buy two Si's and put them in a bubble....a Sedan and Coupe, because they are the modern interpretation of the E30 M3. They're already selling for more than MSRP used!!!!! :wigglesmiley: So yea....Civic Si ftw all century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dancingcoolsmiley: :haysmiley:
how many shots did your mother drink when she was pregnant with you?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,185 Posts
Of the original list, the Lotus Elise would be my first choice as a funner.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I'm happy with what my daughter just gave back to me. The Toyota Pre-Runner I bought her new to go to college in. I mounted a 51 cal. in the bed and enjoy hunting Al Queda with it at night. They're legal to spotlight.....just like wild hogs, LOL. It is a fun truck to have around. Almost as fun as that Porsche 996 listed....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Still one of the most forgotten exotics - Lotus Evora
I was seriously considering one within the next 5 years when I saw that used prices have come down to 40-45k. However, more research steered me away for several reasons:
1. master clutch cylinder needs to be replaced by an aftermarket upgrade and it is a clamshell off kind of job.
2. misc little things that can start to go wrong as a car ages can cost an arm and leg to fix
3. The bonded aluminum unibody can mean a total loss in accidents where other cars could just get some bent wheels or suspension arms replaced.
4. the one-piece fiberglass clamshell in the rear must be removed for a clutch job.

I forgot to mention that I was looking at the Evora as a daily driver, not a garage queen. So that kind of skews my assessment of total cost to own.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,185 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts