9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! So I'm sure a lot of you have seen the HUGE thread that Dave_Si started (click here), anticipating the launch of our then, forthcoming cold air intake. Well, last Thursday we finally launched the CURL CONTROL system, so it seemed only appropriate to create an official thread for it. Please feel free to post questions, installed pictures, dyno graphs, etc. in this thread. If it gets sidetracked, we'll probably edit out unrelated posts to keep it mostly limited to Q&A, testimonials, pics, and graphs. A lot of times when vendors post new products, they copy/paste the text from their site and call it a day. I'm certainly guilty of it. Instead, I'm going to use the space below to kind of explain the design process and choices that made this kit what it is. My hope is that by explaining our goals for the kit, you may appreciate the motives and emotions that went into the design a bit more.

Click Here to View On Our Site and Purchase

So we started contemplating building a cold air intake (CAI) kit in mid 2016. We knew roughly how to execute the kit, but it wasn't clear to us WHY we were going to build a CAI. When I say "why," I don't mean in the sense of why a business might make something for profit. The motives there are clear. To understand why we'd ask ourselves "why", you have to understand that we really don't have a desire to design products where we don't believe we can make an impact. There's nothing to be passionate about; we prefer problems that inspire us. While ACUITY is a business, for us, it's also the opportunity to make the automotive community better while doing what we love every day. So for us to commit to making a CAI, we needed to find our "why." Below shows the OE intake manifold kit (shown left), and the RBC (or similar) intake manifold kit (shown right)

1891-K1-K2_Full_Kit_1.jpg 1891-K3-K4_Full_Kit_1.jpg

Making more power is easy. Hold on...don't flip out, I'm going to qualify that statement, haha. Through diligent analysis and testing, there is almost always a gain to be found. The gains get harder to come by as the design improves, so you generally don't start the design knowing if you can beat out a competitor by 0.5hp or 10hp. Power, however, is an obvious goal though for something like this. We wanted a better reason. Ultimately, we decided that if we were going to build a kit, it would be the most well-integrated kit we could offer at the price point we were aiming for. So we started to design a kit, but our "why" was a bit too general. It didn't have actual achievable goals attached to it. After we'd figured out the intake geometry through diligent computer-based analysis and successive dyno testing, we moved onto material selection and chassis integration. The tubing was going to be aluminum, and the whole thing just lacked soul. We weren't interested. We realized that we needed a manufacturing process that would give us more flexibility with geometry. This inevitably led us to the use of carbon fiber. It gave us design freedoms not afforded by aluminum tubing. We wanted to make something people hadn't seen before. So we drew from our personal histories in racing and chose spread tow fabric; (the checkerboard pattern on the intake), which is often a go-to for structural applications like monocoques.

1891_Carbon_3.jpg 1891_Carbon_1.jpg
Typically on carbon hoods and things like that, manufacturers like to mold nuts into the parts. This often creates long-term problems as the hardware doesn't always bond on well. Instead, we opted for aluminum appointments, carefully bonded on to the carbon to provide a mounting point and MAF mounting feature. A rubber isolation mount goes between the chassis and the stainless steel bracket that supports the carbon to help protect the intake from shocks and to help it move with the engine as load is applied.
1891_Carbon_2.jpg 1891_bracket_1.jpg

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Our desire for clean integration drove decisions like adding an aluminum barb in our silicone couplers, something designers often shy away from due to cost.

1891-K1-K2_coupler_1.jpg 1891-K3_coupler.jpg
We also have reliefs designed into our silicone couplers where they meet the throttle body, carbon, and velocity stack to help provide a smoother transition for the air as it flows between components. (left two couplers are for OE manifold, right two are for RBC or similar)
1891-K1_coupler_1.jpg elbow_1.jpg 1891-K3-K4_coupler_2.jpg
The battery tray was a really interesting part of the process for us. 9th Gen CAIs generally require some wires to be moved around, and almost certainly require the battery to be relocated. This can often be the most stressful and sloppy part of a CAI install. I think people just accepted that to be ok since it's always been that way. We really wanted to improve here. That's why the MAF wiring is carefully routed around and behind the battery and the harness even clips to the battery tray so no loose wires can fray over time. The same reason drove the addition of the wire routing tab to help secure the MAF wire and battery sensor wire. Another thing that has always bugged us is that grounding of the battery after relocation often seems to always become an afterthought. Many times just screwing the ground to some point on the chassis is good enough, but too often, there can be resulting ground problems. So we built a ground point into the battery tray. The tray has great continuity with the chassis after it's bolted down with the motor mount screws, so this is a really ideal point for a ground. Heavy duty sleeve was added on the harnesses to help make them robust.
1891_Battery_Tray_With_Wires_2.jpg 1891_Battery_Tray_2.jpg 1891_Battery_Tray_With_Wires_1.jpg 1891_Battery_Tray_1.jpg

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Achieving low pumping losses meant a large filter and velocity stack were essential. We didn't want to use the plastic velocity stacks that have become so common, so we designed our own aluminum parabolic velocity stacks and had them made out of aluminum.
1891_V-Stack_with_Filter_1.jpg 1891_V-Stack_1.jpg 1891_Filter_1.jpg
Even details like the hose clamps got attention. We opted for German style clamps that have formed threads and rolled edges. They can be a bit more of a pain during install since they tend to have a lot of internal friction, but the formed threads and rolled edges are gentle on the silicone, meaning your silicone couplers are protected from being cut by clamps, ensuring long, reliable operation.
1891_clamps_and_hoses.jpg 1891_wiring_1.jpg
We put a lot of love into this design, and we think you guys will love it. Below are some installed images from our OE manifold kit testers:
1891-K1_Installed_2.jpg 1891-K1_Installed_3.jpg 1891-K1_Installed_6.jpg
1891-K1-K2_routing_1.jpg 1891-K1-K2_routing_2.jpg

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm jealous of this intake too. I have to hold off on the purchase as I just accepted(today) a position that requires for my family to relocate to Cali. Now only if this was CARB approved!! Shouldn't be hard for that stamp of approval as it's just an intake.

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm jealous of this intake too. I have to hold off on the purchase as I just accepted(today) a position that requires for my family to relocate to Cali. Now only if this was CARB approved!! Shouldn't be hard for that stamp of approval as it's just an intake.
Our long-term goal is to seek CARB approval on future designs, but at the moment we're a bit understaffed to execute it properly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You picking one up Rujo? Get rid of that Junk2 intake man! lol
Truthfully YES! But, seriously want to get a small turbo. And have a 5-10lbs tune and a 11-15lbs tune for the local asshats.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to chime in this thread since it is the official for sale thread. I have been running this intake for several months and have ran both the pre production and production version battery tray and intake tubes. From an installation standpoint this is a very well designed kit and fits perfectly. The finish and level of detail is literally unmatched, the second best (PRL) is still far behind. Performance wise, I have been very impressed. I am retuning with Vit (and due to vacations and delays I am STILL in the process which as you know, is an already long process) and when I ran this intake with the PRL map it ran quite lean which could only mean that this intake is taking in much more air. I cannot recommend this kit enough!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys, I just wanted to share a little bit about my experience with the Acuity Curl Control CAI. I have been testing this for a couple of months now, and have to say, after dealing directly with the Acuity team, you find a new respect for there company. They are not simply here to make money. Everything they make is 100% high quality, from the hardware, all the way to the designs and installation notes. Testing for them was a dream, any little issues, they worked around the clock to perfect them, so when the production model came out, it was perfect. When I got my hands on this intake, it was such an amazing piece, that when they asked me to find issues, I laughed, and told them there wasn't any. I couldn't believe the amount of time and effort went into it and you could tell just by looking at it. Secondly, the fitment of this intake is amazing, it clears the frame rail, and doesn't hit anything. My prl had an issue of it rubbing on the frame rail, and you can see just the little extra effort goes a long way. Lastly, the performance. On my prl cai tune, I was running lean, meaning my intake was bringing in more air already. at the track, in warmer weather, and higher elevation I trapped 2mph faster in the 1/4 mile, this is with no extra tuning, and a slipping clutch. this intake with a good tune, has a ways to go. I will always rep for Acuity, because of there A+ customer service, and there amazing quality.

CURRENT SET UP
ACUITY CAI
J37 TB
KTUNED TB ADAPTER
PORTED AND POLISHED RBC
PRL RBC ADAPTER KIT
HASPORT MOTOR MOUNTS
RV6 PERFORMANCE CATLESS DP
MAGNAFLOW CAT BACK
WILWOOD 4 BISTON BIG BRAKES
17X9 +22 RPF1
235/45 TOYO PROXES R888R
ACUITY SHORT SHIFTER
EXCEDY STAGE 1 CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL
KTUNER V2

SOON TO HAVE
100 SHOT OF NITROUS
DW 600CC
SKUNK 2 ULTRA RACE MANIFOLD
FULL PORTED HEAD (INTAKE AND EXHAUST)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well i just placed my order, should be able to do an unboxing and small review.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello guys, I just wanted to share a little bit about my experience with the Acuity Curl Control CAI. I have been testing this for a couple of months now, and have to say, after dealing directly with the Acuity team, you find a new respect for there company. They are not simply here to make money. Everything they make is 100% high quality, from the hardware, all the way to the designs and installation notes. Testing for them was a dream, any little issues, they worked around the clock to perfect them, so when the production model came out, it was perfect. When I got my hands on this intake, it was such an amazing piece, that when they asked me to find issues, I laughed, and told them there wasn't any. I couldn't believe the amount of time and effort went into it and you could tell just by looking at it. Secondly, the fitment of this intake is amazing, it clears the frame rail, and doesn't hit anything. My prl had an issue of it rubbing on the frame rail, and you can see just the little extra effort goes a long way. Lastly, the performance. On my prl cai tune, I was running lean, meaning my intake was bringing in more air already. at the track, in warmer weather, and higher elevation I trapped 2mph faster in the 1/4 mile, this is with no extra tuning, and a slipping clutch. this intake with a good tune, has a ways to go. I will always rep for Acuity, because of there A+ customer service, and there amazing quality.

CURRENT SET UP
ACUITY CAI
J37 TB
KTUNED TB ADAPTER
PORTED AND POLISHED RBC
PRL RBC ADAPTER KIT
HASPORT MOTOR MOUNTS
RV6 PERFORMANCE CATLESS DP
MAGNAFLOW CAT BACK
WILWOOD 4 BISTON BIG BRAKES
17X9 +22 RPF1
235/45 TOYO PROXES R888R
ACUITY SHORT SHIFTER
EXCEDY STAGE 1 CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL
KTUNER V2

SOON TO HAVE
100 SHOT OF NITROUS
DW 600CC
SKUNK 2 ULTRA RACE MANIFOLD
FULL PORTED HEAD (INTAKE AND EXHAUST)
Are you still in the tuning process? Have a dyno or Edyno?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are you still in the tuning process? Have a dyno or Edyno?
have you made an unboxing video of the product finally ? :p

·
Registered
989 Posts
So after a few months of having this CAI, it's been great. The first thing I noticed was a louder exhaust note, likely because I first heard it on a dyno after installing it. The sound is great. I've had the Rick Spec'd CAI before this, as well as the stock airbox with a silicone intake tube. If you're in the market for a CAI, I highly recommend this one. The quality is great, the install is straight forward. I live in Chicago, and yes, I drive through the winter and rain, this is my daily. The filter doesn't sit extremely low, although it is pretty low. It's covered completely with the factory plastics, I've checked it after heavy rain driving and haven't noticed the filter wet at all. Overall, I'm super happy with this kit, not just the CAI itself. This kit is 100% complete and custom for this civic, it's beautiful. Unfortunately I am not using the battery tray it came with, because I have a new optima yellow top battery that was recently purchased and it's taller than oem, so it didn't fit unless I wanted an oem size battery. Nobody ever mentions this, but this is the first CAI kit i've gotten that makes use of a rubber bushing, this blew my mind, lol. The design of it all is phenomenal just like every other thing ACUITY has made.

So as many of your know from the other post, I went to a dyno shop (shoutout to RC Autoworks in Bridgeview, IL) and got my previous setup tuned with a Rick Spec'd CAI, then installed the ACUITY CAI and re-tuned it to see the difference that same day. I got the dyno graphs from the tuner, digitized the plots and overlayed them using plot.ly. The graphs here are a bit smoother than the actual dyno graphs, but this is just for comparison.

·
Registered
224 Posts
have you made an unboxing video of the product finally ? :p
Well ,it took awhile, but here is my first attempt at an unboxing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts