9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there was a recall on my civic I noticed today that requires a software uodate. My question is how do I know if they really do the update on my car and how long will it typically take?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Will they do it? Of course they will do it.

I imagine you could wait for it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
So there was a recall on my civic I noticed today that requires a software uodate.

My question is how do I know if they really do the update on my car and how long will it typically take?
Yes they will do the software update; you will have to ask the dealer how long it will take. (I'm guessing they will want the car for at least an hour.)

Do you have a link to the recall? I'm wondering if my wife's Civic is affected.
Go to Honda's recall web site
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

Honda recalling 143K Civic, Fit models for CVT

·
Registered
46 Posts
RECALL: 2014 Civic with CVT (drive pulley shaft)

Hey folks,

Just found an unfortunate notice from the shadowy overlords at Honda: 2014 Civics (and Fits, lol) are being recalled because of a faulty part in the CVT.

Here's an article about the recall, the NHTSA report, and below is the info from my owners.honda.com account:

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: AWAITING#
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JU2
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: M-CVT DRIVE PULLEY SHAFT
RECALL DATE: 09/04/2015
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE
SUMMARY: DURING CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, A COMBINATION OF HIGH STRESS EXERTED FROM THE CVT PROGRAMMING ALONG WITH POTENTIAL DRIVE PULLEY SHAFTS MANUFACTURED WITH LOW HARDNESS, THE DRIVE PULLEY SHAFT MAY BREAK DURING OPERATION.

SAFETY RISK:IF THE DRIVE PULLEY SHAFT BREAKS THE VEHICLE MAY LOSE ACCELERATION OR THE FRONT WHEELS MAY LOCK UP, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

REMEDY:HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE CVT SOFTWARE, FREE OF CHARGE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-888-234-2138. HONDA'S NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JU2.

·
Registered
980 Posts
CVT = fragile. Own one at your own peril... and by them just introducing a software fix, that basically means lessening performance, ie. less stress exerted on weak part. And people wonder why some of us aren't fans of CVTs, I'd take a conventional automatic anyday over a CVT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm. My VIN is after the affected range. Wonder if that means i have a properly hardened shaft, or "updated" software :-\

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Merged, renamed, and stickied, as there will probably be more (threads and recalls).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
CVT = fragile. Own one at your own peril... and by them just introducing a software fix, that basically means lessening performance, ie. less stress exerted on weak part. And people wonder why some of us aren't fans of CVTs, I'd take a conventional automatic anyday over a CVT.
...Or a manual transmission than that CVT! :woowoo:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hmm. My VIN is after the affected range. Wonder if that means i have a properly hardened shaft, or "updated" software :-\
...Or something worse that is yet to be discovered! :woowoo:

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Will there be any problems if I'm tuned with vit? Will the tune affect the update or will they notice that I messed with the ecu?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yes, could be either or both, for now...

Will there be any problems if I'm tuned with vit? Will the tune affect the update or will they notice that I messed with the ecu?
Good questions, let us know what happens if/when you have the recall done.

...Or something worse that is yet to be discovered! :woowoo:
The possibility that this could become a mushroom recall, like the great airbag fiascoes is slim; but, not impossible.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
How come none of you guys warned me before I bought this thing?? Not that there was another option for the 2014 EX... #ThanksHonda now what do I do, just watch while it disintegrates?
There were lots of posts, for quite a while, deriding the CVT. Now whether or not they occurred before you bought your car is another matter.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just checked my VIN and luckily mines not affected.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Finally the CVT issues are recognized as not normal.

Reactions: LJiGa and Teeps

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shocking large recall, starting to worry if the CVT trans will last. I wonder if the CVT is lowered cost compared to a 5 speed automatic transmission. Maybe another corner has cut to save $$$$

1 - 20 of 61 Posts