9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
My blue 2014 had the recall update right before I traded it in. My silver 2015 doesn't need it. It was just certain ones made between certain dates or something like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After a few weeks with the new CVT software, I've made the following observations:

-The simulated downshifts are smoother but slower. The car doesn't lurch forward when "downshifting" but it also takes a little longer to engage and start accelerating. Personally I prefer this behaviour better, although for some it may feel a little sluggish. Hopefully, this new programming won't wear out the clutch pack prematurely.

-The transmission is a little more reluctant to "downshift" on a level road. Almost like driving in ECO mode, but not quite.

-It also behaves slightly differently up/down a slope, it feels like there are more "downshift" steps.

In general these are subtle differences and personally I think the transmission feels a little more refined, but maybe a tad slower.
However, I don't have any actual measurements in terms of MPG or performance to compare to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
After a few weeks with the new CVT software, I've made the following observations:

-The simulated downshifts are smoother but slower. The car doesn't lurch forward when "downshifting" but it also takes a little longer to engage and start accelerating. Personally I prefer this behaviour better, although for some it may feel a little sluggish. Hopefully, this new programming won't wear out the clutch pack prematurely.

-The transmission is a little more reluctant to "downshift" on a level road. Almost like driving in ECO mode, but not quite.

-It also behaves slightly differently up/down a slope, it feels like there are more "downshift" steps.

In general these are subtle differences and personally I think the transmission feels a little more refined, but maybe a tad slower.
However, I don't have any actual measurements in terms of MPG or performance to compare to.
Before I read this I felt the exact same things as you I would also word it as it behaves much more like a normal transmission. we have two 2014s only mine needed the update. thought it was in my head but after she drove mine she noticed changes also. I personally hate cvt cant wait to not own one. im deff going to have both our fluids changed we are both at 21k id rather be safe than sorry wish we could buy the fluid and do ourselves :(

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
im deff going to have both our fluids changed we are both at 21k id rather be safe than sorry

wish we could buy the fluid and do ourselves :(
Why not?
The fluid replacement appears, only slightly, different than any other Honda transmission.

Service Manual
Transmission Fluid (HCF-2) Replacement

DRAIN:

NOTE: Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.

1. Vehicle Lift
1. Raise the vehicle on a lift, and make sure it is securely supported.

2. Engine Undercover
1. Remove the engine undercover (A).

3. CVTF - Replacement (01)
1. Start the engine, and warm it up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on twice).

2. Turn the engine off.

3. Remove the drain plug (A) and the sealing washer (B), and drain the transmission fluid for at least 5 minutes.

NOTE:
Remove metal particles from the magnetic surface of the drain plug.
Be careful not to burn yourself by the hot part.

4. Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer.

Service Manual
Transmission Fluid (HCF-2) Replacement

FILL:

NOTE: Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
Add transmission fluid after the shift lever operation without spending too much time.

1. CVTF - Replacement (01)
1. Remove the filler plug (A) and the sealing washer (B).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole (A) until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.

Transmission Fluid Capacity:
3.5 L (3.7 US qt) at change
4.3 L (4.5 US qt) at oil pan, valve body, and transmission fluid pump removal, installation, and replacement*
5.8 L (6.1 US qt) at overhaul

NOTE: *When you remove the transmission fluid pan, you must be careful about the transmission fluid (HCF-2) capacity for filling the transmission. Compared to the specified capacity, the actual transmission fluid (HCF-2) capacity can be increased by the elapsed time after removing the transmission fluid pan.

3. Temporarily install the filler plug with the sealing washer.

2. CVTF - Replacement (Add)

NOTE: Add transmission fluid after the shift lever operation without spending too much time.

1. Lower the vehicle on the lift.

2. Start the engine, and warm it up to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on twice).

3. While pressing the brake pedal firmly, shift in turn the shift lever to PRNDSDNRP (with paddle shifters)/ PRNDSLSDNRP (without paddle shifters) , and wait for at least 3 seconds to each position.

4. Turn the engine off.

5. Raise the vehicle on the lift, and make sure it is securely supported.

6. Remove the filler plug (A) and the sealing washer (B).

NOTE: Be careful not to burn yourself by the hot part.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Add the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler plug hole (A) until transmission fluid overflows. Always use Honda HCF-2 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid.

8. Reinstall the filler plug with a new sealing washer.

3. Engine Undercover
1. Install the engine undercover (A).

·
Registered
222 Posts
come on are you telling me all I need is 4 quarts drain and fill I swear I read somewhere that you cannot buy the proper cvt fluid for the 9th gen if its that simple id rather do them myself!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nothing personal about a VIN number. Anyone can just walk up and read it if they want.
Well, it depends on who you ask. Some people, can take that VIN number, and get your name/address, and from there much more information. Now, you are right, anyone can walk up a look at your VIN, if they are there. Obviously, the people on this forum are not there.

Why would someone on this forum want to do that? Lets see, maybe you mentioned, or posted information about some mod that you did, and they want to steal it.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,401 Posts
Why would someone on this forum want to do that?
You don't need to be a member to read these message boards, only to post.

It's not above and beyond thought that people troll places like this to see where stuff is that looks like it's worth stealing.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
come on are you telling me all I need is 4 quarts drain and fill I swear I read somewhere that you cannot buy the proper cvt fluid for the 9th gen if its that simple id rather do them myself!!!
Yes.
Here you go: CVT Fluid HCF-2 - 08200-HCF2 - College Hills Honda
You can walk into any Honda dealer and purchase the fluid; it's not cheap(?) but is available.
And there is this:

·
Registered
830 Posts
The blue Civic I had needed the update, and I couldn't tell any difference afterwards. Drove the same to me. The CVT is not good for hot rodding or pulling heavy loads, anything else, its just fine.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,401 Posts
<-- never gets tired of shifting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
being form upstate I probably woulda died last year on Long Island with a stick anyway :)
this sucks the k&n intake is blocking cvt dipstick gotta take it out everytime

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got this update a few days ago. First, it definitely drives different. The lurching is nearly eliminated and it is much smoother. My concern is regarding gas mileage. Previous to the update I was consistently getting 39.5-40.0 mpg (I have gotten as high as 43 on an entire tank), and over the life of the vehicle which is just over 1 year old (so it had all 4 seasons pretty evenly) I was sitting at 37.9 mpg (I don't reset Trip B). I filled the tank with 93 Octane Shell (which I get once every 2-3 fill ups, and I always get 93 because its tuned to 91 and no one sells 91 around here) which is next door to the dealership before the update. Since then I've had trouble keeping the car above 30.0 mpg. I've done a little more city driving, perhaps I got the winter fuel for the first time, and its colder out - but last year I still got 34-36 mpg in the winter.

Did I just get a bad batch of fuel? Has anyone else noticed a drop in MPG? I'm going to finish this tank, then do another from a different fuel station and see if anything changes. I'm pretty frustrated by this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Was there a recent drop in temperature where you live that happened roughly about the time you got the software update? I notice that my fuel mileage drops significantly when the temperature is ~40º or below. Though I have to note, I did my first long road trip (1k miles) after getting the update through the smoky mountains from Mississippi to DC, achieving 37 mpg at 75-80 mph. For me, with temps probably averaged over driving time at 40, this is a bit higher than I was expecting. So in my personal, non-representative experience, I've noticed slightly better mpg after the update. Also, in my personal, non-representative experience, I've noticed that the responsiveness of the engine/transmission has increased, especially at higher speeds. It feels like there is more power on tap.

I would like to add that I have experienced absolutely no problems with the CVT in my 2014 EX-L after 29k miles and 22 months of ownership.

Reactions: mpicione

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has been unseasonably warm, actually, 50-60 degrees. I was able to nurse it up to 33.2 mpg before I filled the tank this evening. I will be doing a ton of driving between now and Saturday, so we'll see. Most of it highway. So I should be able to maximize my mileage and see. I hope it was just a bum tank of gas!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts