9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Undecided....need help

Ok, well as some of you may know, I'm on the aggressive hunt for the best CAI/SRI for ME. I am looking for deep tone and improvement in low end torque and hopefully decent gain in HP. I was torn between the Takeda retain intake for the R18s and the K&N typhoon intake.

The price range is a little different which played a factor but with some of your help some said the K&N wasn't good enough for its cost.

I was all set to get the Takeda intake until i just found the ART SRI for R18s. These two are much closer in price as well!

I cant decide! Anyone help make this easier?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also looking into an intake don't really know which one to get. I have a friend who said he can make me an intake since he's experienced with building turbo kits.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did I make a mistake?

I committed and bought the ART SRI for my R18. Though after reading many people saying negative things about SRI's in general(google, and other random car forums) it got me thinking maybe I should of just got a CAI? None of the sources are 100% confirmed reliable, I figure to get it straight, I should ask here. Whats your take on CAI vs SRI?

Advantages of SRI? Disadvantages?

Briefly a few negative things I have come across is cars feeling sluggish when its hot out? Or I would lose low end torque? I live in So. California where its never really HOT, HOT. In having a SRI should I have any worries of overall engine life or overheating?

I'm still just learning the ropes about everything in the car world, so sorry for these kinda questions.

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well a SRI (short ram intake) is taking in air closer to the engine,this air will be more hot than a CAI (cold air intake) which takes air farther away from the engine. With a CAI you might have to relocate your battery, if you don't want to relocate then there is a short ram intake. The only difference between a CAI and SRI is the piping, the CAI is longer and usually drops down into the engine bay. SRI is a shorter piping. You don't have to worry about over heating, the stock intake with the drop in filter is basically a short ram intake. A SRI really only gives sound, a CAI will give a little hp gain if you do alot of highway or open road driving.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You didn't make a mistake at all. It all has to do with preference; some people prefer CAI, and some prefer SRI. If you're going for all out performance, then you would want a CAI. But I've seen turbo kits use SRI plenty of times.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thought about this a lot and even debated if either were really worth it.
I'm going with the takeda. Dyno proven

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
ROTM February 2014/15
1,145 Posts
dont you need flashpro after a intake? pretty much anything other than an exhaust will make your car worse if im not mistaken without it being flashed?

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
dont you need flashpro after a intake? pretty much anything other than an exhaust will make your car worse if im not mistaken without it being flashed?
Not necessarily "worse", but you won't get the gains you'd want without flashpro.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am going with the Takeda, I have run cai's since they came out, Things have changed through the years with technology, In my findings, If you run a cai that is open to the hot air, It will cause lag between 3 and 4K rpm, A front ram air type inclosed would be ideal, I haven't seen anyone make one yet, They are making cai's that cause people to remove the fender on the car just to install it, Two problems i have with that, The cai is getting cooler air, But sucking in water could be an issue, and the installation is a pita, The second problem is, The freaking tube is looooooooong, That in itself hurts the purpose IMO, The straighter and faster the air can get to the throttle body, The better the gain

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's mainly just for sound until you do other supporting mods such as header/exhaust, tune, maybe a rbc/rrc intake manifold and larger throttle body. I probably don't get as much hp as some other people with my K&N Typhoon setup, but I sure do like the sound.

Sound of my intake without the raintray after installing my coilovers.
it sounds 2x louder without the thing, If I lived in the desert I might keep it off, but sadly I live in Oregon.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,489 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Depends on the set-up honestly. For example, PRL SRI makes more hp then the PRL CAI. You MAY lose 1-3 on the low end, but it performs better on the high end.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
273 Posts
I committed and bought the ART SRI for my R18. Though after reading many people saying negative things about SRI's in general(google, and other random car forums) it got me thinking maybe I should of just got a CAI? None of the sources are 100% confirmed reliable, I figure to get it straight, I should ask here. Whats your take on CAI vs SRI?

Advantages of SRI? Disadvantages?

Briefly a few negative things I have come across is cars feeling sluggish when its hot out? Or I would lose low end torque? I live in So. California where its never really HOT, HOT. In having a SRI should I have any worries of overall engine life or overheating?

I'm still just learning the ropes about everything in the car world, so sorry for these kinda questions.

Thanks
I Have the K&N Typhoon installed and love it. Reason: We have had a lot of rain and puddles, and in the late winter early spring during the snow melt more deep puddles and I don't want to hydrolock. I haven't noticed any sluggishness at all. I have noticed some extra power and torque, and it didn't really seem to loose any power on the low side of the powerband. The sound is awesome, it gives a nice snort when you give it a quick shot and sounds great when you step on it and it is whole new beast once you hit vtec, I love the sound it make when the vtec kicks in. The only thing I noticed was my milage decreased by about 2L/100k. averaged 8-9L/100km before, after was around 10-11L/100km. My milage has actually gotten better since I installed my downpipe and im usually sitting around 7-8L/100km now, all city driving, and having fun when the opertunities are presented. The video Xyphyr posted is a pretty good representation of the sound but still doesn't do it justice. Hope this helps

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just received my Takeda intake but.......

Now I am wondering if I should have went Rick Spec'd instead. I have done a lot of searching and came up with nothing comparing the 2 intakes. I plan on getting Flash Pro in the near future, maybe even this paycheck on Friday from Vit so I know with the Rick Spec'd its a must. Future plans may include dp/exhaust for this year. So anyone have experience with having both? I am not going to open the box until I do some further searching but I need help since I am always so indecisive....

·
ROTM February 2014/15
1,145 Posts
From my knowledge I read Takeda is the best intake to date. Anyone have other thoughts?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts