9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Best bet to buy. (please note model no.)

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I looked through a bunch of forums for comparison threads but I haven't been able to find anything on which ones are the best for ride quality/durability. I have a 13 civic sedan. Im looking into doing it in spring 2014 as well as throwing on some enkeis (17-18"). I dont want to slam it, what do you guys reccommend?
- around 1.5-2.5" springs
- durable for winter use (I live in canada)
- absolutely no coilovers, springs only.

I was thinking: Ebiach Sportlines, Ebiach Pro-Kit, or H&R Sport Springs.

Cheers!
I had Ebiach pro-kits on my 8th gen Si with stock struts/dampers. They were just okay, because the struts had 66k miles on them. I replaced everything with Neuspeed Sport springs with Koni STR.T (Orange) up front, and Koni Yellow in the back. But that setup wont work for you if you dont have an Si, nor are you looking for a performance setup.. Chris Sheffield at Redshift is the go to guy for all suspension needs. On his website he recommends the H&R Sport springs for a daily driver without any other mods in the future. The springs are from Germany, so I'd say they will last you a long time in the nasty winters that you get.

The H&R Sports are only 10% stiffer, and they will work well within your stock suspension geometry. I think you'll like them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Currently have the Eibach sportline kit on my 15 si. Like the drop that it put on the car nothing dramatic. Drives nice and feels comfortable when on turns and driving overall. Only complaint is they do in fact make noises and creak. I've heard it does this on all of the sportline kits for Eibach and haven't found as to why but they do that.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
just thought I would share:
Installed swift spec-R sport springs. The drop is perfect and the ride is perfect.
significantly stiffer than stock - especially since I paired it with the adjustable progress rear sway bar.
These are SPORT springs, not just lowering springs like all others are advertised.
The drop is advertised as 1.25" front and rear.
If you want a practical drop with performance in mind, these are the best springs out there.
Installation was super easy and I have had no problems for 3+ months. This was my first time installing springs.
Body roll and understeer are no more. The rear springs are stiffer than the front to help reduce the understeer.
I have them paired with stock shocks for now and it rides great. In the future, I will be replacing stock shocks with Koni Yellow sport adjustable.
The swift springs are the most expensive springs on the market (around $300) but for good reason. Money well spent.
THESE SPRINGS DO NOT CREAK OR POP LIKE THE EIBACH SPRINGS DO!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Installed swift spec-R sport springs.

The drop is perfect and the ride is perfect.

significantly stiffer than stock - especially since I paired it with the adjustable progress rear sway bar.
These are SPORT springs, not just lowering springs like all others are advertised.
Wondering:
How do you quantify the improvement?
Particularly ride quality?
What about handling? (lower lap times or drag strip E.T.?)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also in case anyone is wondering...
I did install rear camber arms. I used godspeed since they are least expensive and its not a moving part so didn't seem that important to me - all it does is hold your alignment in place.
After dropping with the godspeed camber arms set to stock length, there was quite a lot of negative camber - very noticeable. So I took it in to get aligned ($120)

My wheel size is 17x8 +43mm offset and I do not rub at all - even with a full car.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Installed swift spec-R sport springs. The drop is perfect and the ride is perfect.
The drop is advertised as 1.25" front and rear.
If you want a practical drop with performance in mind, these are the best springs out there.
Installation was super easy and I have had no problems for 3+ months. This was my first time installing springs.
Body roll and understeer are no more. The rear springs are stiffer than the front to help reduce the understeer.
I have them paired with stock shocks for now and it rides great. In the future, I will be replacing stock shocks with Koni Yellow sport adjustable.
The swift springs are the most expensive springs on the market (around $300) but for good reason. Money well spent.
THESE SPRINGS DO NOT CREAK OR POP LIKE THE EIBACH SPRINGS DO!

I have had Swift Spec-R springs sitting in my garage for months, and when I read reviews like this, I still get a bit uneasy as to whether I install them or not.
My FB6 is my daily driver, and I drive probably 30,000 miles in a year. I live in the upper Midwest, so I have to deal with cold weather, snow, and all the crap on the roads that come with it.
And, I'm older than most on the board (coming up on 42). I really am worried that the Swifts will be too stiff for my back.
I do think the drop is about perfect, and the increase in handling performance is welcome, although at this point in my life, I don't think I'd utilize it much (I don't drive like a loon anymore).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wondering:
How do you quantify the improvement?
Particularly ride quality?
What about handling? (lower lap times or drag strip E.T.?)
The stock springs were too high and too soft for my taste.
The drop now is just right. The gap is much reduced but I do not have problems with scraping or rubbing fenders.

As far as the ride... it is much firmer than stock. It is not bouncy (stock shocks doing a great job). Biggest thing is that body roll and understeer are completely gone. This probably has a lot to do with the progress rear sway bar that I also replaced. I believe the stock rear sway bar is 17mm and the progress rear sway bar is 21mm with 3 settings. I set mine to full stiff. It corners completely flat and rotates MUCH better. Going into and coming out of corners, you do not even notice it is FWD.

I don't have any lap time differences to share but I know for certain that it can hold much more speed through the corners now.

If you are ever want to come down to OC, send me a PM and I'll show you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had Swift Spec-R springs sitting in my garage for months, and when I read reviews like this, I still get a bit uneasy as to whether I install them or not.
My FB6 is my daily driver, and I drive probably 30,000 miles in a year. I live in the upper Midwest, so I have to deal with cold weather, snow, and all the crap on the roads that come with it.
And, I'm older than most on the board (coming up on 42). I really am worried that the Swifts will be too stiff for my back.
I do think the drop is about perfect, and the increase in handling performance is welcome, although at this point in my life, I don't think I'd utilize it much (I don't drive like a loon anymore).
They are so easy to install, I would recommend putting them on a trying it out... You could easily knock it out in half a day if you have the tools and a helping hand. If you don't like it, you can always put the stock springs back on... but you will never know if you do not try.

It might have a lot to do with how bad your roads are... roads are good for the most part where I am at.

Remember I also have the giant rear sway bar set to stiff and that makes a BIG difference in stiffness as well. If you keep the stock rear sway bar, it will not be as stiff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you want to lower the car and maintain stock ride stiffness, go with eibach Pro springs. 1.2" drop with similar stiffness to stock.
If you want less body roll, less understeer, and more cornering speed, go with the swift springs.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
I also was wondering about the combination of new springs and sway bar.

Changing more than one variable at a time pretty much negates any correlation between cause and effect. It is not possible to know for sure how much of what contributes to the positive (or negative) effects experienced.

I had an '05 MINI Cooper that I put larger, stiffer rear bar on. With that one improvement alone, I experienced many of the positive effects that kmaddox did - neutral steering, and rotating around center when turning at elevated speeds. Stiffer springs were not necessary for those benefits. What I did not experience has a harsher ride because the springs were OEM, so I had the best of both worlds, afaic. I, too, am a bit older than the average member here (57), and do not want a bone jarring ride.

If I wanted to duplicate the improved qualities that my MINI exhibited, I would lower with springs like the eibachs to keep a more compliant ride, and throw on a bigger rear sway bar to neutralize the steering.

Different strokes, ya know?! :winky:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Alignment.png
Just thought I'd through this in .... I am not sure how big a deal these numbers are, but this is the alignment after the Eibach spring install. I could feel a difference in the ride. I had a slight shake at about 120Km/hr, now its gone. Steering is tight and dead on straight. Also, there is no stock adjustment for the rear camber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those who have Swift springs for a 14-15 Si sedan, did you need anything extra other than getting an alignment? Just checking to see if I'll need a camber kit or anything like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
About to finally commit with a pair of skunk 2 springs...
But first i was wondering what shocks work best paired with said springs? If possible, i'm looking to stiffen the ride up and have the most "weekend warrior/track" feel you can get from a lowering spring/shock combo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
About to finally commit with a pair of skunk 2 springs...
But first i was wondering what shocks work best paired with said springs? If possible, i'm looking to stiffen the ride up and have the most "weekend warrior/track" feel you can get from a lowering spring/shock combo.
Well that depends on what car you have 12-13 vs 14-15. Ideally though, there's only like 3 shocks out that are worthy: Koni, TruHart and Skunk2. If you have a 12-13 Si then I would definitely go with Koni Yellows. If you have 14-15 Si then I would go with TruHart as they are pretty nice.

Although if you're trying to do some tracking then probably a coilover setup will be a lot better. Have you looked into those?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking at lowering my 15 Civic. I don't want anything to crazy just something better than stock. So far I'm considering eibach pro kit but the noise problem has me a little concerned

201 - 220 of 257 Posts