9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
More power!!!!

scottyrocks said:
**The Official 'Need More Power' Thread**

As this basic question is asked repeatedly in new threads, this thread is for those who have general questions about obtaining more power for their 9th gen Civics.

New threads with this general question will be merged here.

I have decided to make my car a super sleeper. I want 400hp in my Civic minimum. Just tell me what I have to put in/on/around/below/above it to transform it into my beloved rocket car. Websites for parts and suggested mods, performance upgrades, and aerodynamics are all welcomed. Also price isn't really an issue but still needed. Thanks in advance

Note: Car is completely stock with 30k miles on it. (Don't tell me to buy an Si either)

Reactions: VTEC MoonWalker

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Oh wait i've got a better answer. Pay Hondata 15-20k to develop flashpro for the r18! It might be cheaper than a swap.

A swap would be the cost of the engine, labor to install, fabrication and other parts... probably 30-40k.

15-20k to hondata then 8k for a turbo kit and some supporting mods assuming the transmission doesn't turn out to be made of paper. In other words it might be doable for around 30k

I'm not being condescending I'm really trying to imagine how to pull it off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're going to need to have a lot of custom work done either way. If you're going to swap engines see if you can jam an LS1 in there... why not right? lol
That thing looks like it'll add at least 500lbs. wouldn't that hinder the handling?

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
That thing looks like it'll add at least 500lbs. wouldn't that hinder the handling?
possibly... but at the same time you're probably going to end up with an RWD conversion if you go that route...

if you're serious about it I would start talking to a shop.. I don't even know if it would fit in the car really... it is just the smallest high hp engine and is commonly used for swaps- that is why I mentioned it. Realistically you're better off with an engine similar to the original (or maybe an engine out of an Si!) and running a turbo. That way you don't completely make a mess of the handling dynamics and basically tear the entire car apart.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
possibly... but at the same time you're probably going to end up with an RWD conversion if you go that route...

if you're serious about it I would start talking to a shop.. I don't even know if it would fit in the car really... it is just the smallest high hp engine and is commonly used for swaps- that is why I mentioned it. Realistically you're better off with an engine similar to the original (or maybe an engine out of an Si!) and running a turbo. That way you don't completely make a mess of the handling dynamics and basically tear the entire car apart.
I'm definitely serious. But the project will span a few years at least, if all goes well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
IMHO I think you should consider other options. I owned a non-si civic before my 9th gen, i had a hell of a time in the car. If I was in your shoes, I would do basic bolt on's, investigate NOS options, and spend the rest of your $ on a good quality suspension/wheel tire build. A set of sticky tires on coils with sway bars and a camber kit will make your car turn like its on rails. It won't be cheap, but to me, the thrill of turning on a dime was amazing...and beating my cousins G35 with my 1.7L engine though turns, is the most satisfying feeling you can get.

Reactions: Skrub

·
Snake Eyes
1,648 Posts
IDK man, for that kind of money maybe you would be better off using your LX as a daily driver and maybe buying a vehicle that has better aftermarket support. The LX is not designed for performance, it is designed to be a fun economy car with reliability and efficiency in mind. I personally would never dump $35K dollars into a car that is worth $20K. For $35K there are dozens of other possibilities that have more aftermarket parts support AND would yield much higher HP numbers. For instance, the SI can achieve 412whp with $6-7K bucks with a PRL turbo kit @12PSI with bolt ons. The Civic LX would require $20-30 grand just to come close.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
IDK man, for that kind of money maybe you would be better off using your LX as a daily driver and maybe buying a vehicle that has better aftermarket support. The LX is not designed for performance, it is designed to be a fun economy car with reliability and efficiency in mind. I personally would never dump $35K dollars into a car that is worth $20K. For $35K there are dozens of other possibilities that have more aftermarket parts support AND would yield much higher HP numbers. For instance, the SI can achieve 412whp with $6-7K bucks with a PRL turbo kit @12PSI with bolt ons. The Civic LX would require $20-30 grand just to come close.
That is pretty funny... for the money you would put into making the Lx 400 whp you could buy and Si and make that 400 whp I didn't even think about that.

·
Snake Eyes
1,648 Posts
Alright, you will need about $30,000 to get R18 to 400HP, or you can buy outright new Ford Mustang GT with 420HP for about $30,000.
AND the Mustang GT has huge aftermarket support as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't believe anyone even replied to this. Threads like this on CRSX would get locked almost immediately.

·
Snake Eyes
1,648 Posts
Well, we can't assume every seemingly "noob" question/post is a troll and lock it up from the get go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, in a joking manner, because the trolls had their trolling cut short, I guess..doesn't seem to be too many of those on here, either.

In most cases, the mods are right. Most people just seem to not comprehend the rules on nudity and harassment.. and that's where the "serious nazi scum" accusations come in to play.

I think I'm just scarred. Forever tainted by that website. When you begin typing it in your url bar, it's like this darkness just takes over your mind...

I'll stop there before someone sigs this on CRSX. :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMHO I think you should consider other options. I owned a non-si civic before my 9th gen, i had a hell of a time in the car. If I was in your shoes, I would do basic bolt on's, investigate NOS options, and spend the rest of your $ on a good quality suspension/wheel tire build. A set of sticky tires on coils with sway bars and a camber kit will make your car turn like its on rails. It won't be cheap, but to me, the thrill of turning on a dime was amazing...and beating my cousins G35 with my 1.7L engine though turns, is the most satisfying feeling you can get.
I will definitely take that into consideration, Because as i'm searching around, my goal is getting increasingly more difficult to obtain. What's the price tag on your suggestions, websites?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Find a performance shop in your area that is competent with Hondas and take your car and a big pile of cash to them and tell them you want to go fast.

If you aren't willing to do some incredibly simple searching on this forum and browsing threads that have already been made on this topic then that's your only option.

+1 vote to lock thread.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts