9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Considering the civic Lx Sedan. Question is, have read a lot of complaints about the 8th gen have thin sheet metal and denting easily. Did the thickness of the new gen change at all? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
just do what i do and park at the end of the parking lot, alone, really close to a curb incase a retard decides to park next to you anyway, they will still be far.

all cars dent..and all cars can have the dents removed by a dent removal tool/company

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sheet metal on the doors is thin, verified when putting the Body Side Moldings. I would highly recommend the Body Side Moldings if you are worried about being dinged.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well, they are using high tensile steel this time around, so the body is slightly more rigid, but time will be it's test

·
Registered
423 Posts
you shouldn't have to worry about dents period..if your maintain your car properly and park in the right spots.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've noticed the pitfalls of the thin metal on my 8th. I have some dents on a spot over the rear wheel that literally happened when someone leaned on it. Hopefully it won't be the same with the 9th..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Compared to the rest of the market, Honda has always been thin. Compared to cars back in the day (like my old '92 Integra GS-R), it's a huge improvement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a nice ding below my driver's mirror, on the front fender. Seeing as a door couldn't have hit there without smacking my mirror, I have no idea what did it.

When I owned my previous Civic, I took a golf ball to the passenger door...you should have seen how deep that was.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I didn't realize the thin-ness till this topic. It's true, I have so many dents on my side panels. From door to the back wheel. I mean, I park around idiots at college who don't care how they park, and at work if I don't get my spot who knows who passes by.. It really sucks. I try to park far, or in save spots, but it happens sometimes regardless, even at my house -_______- With the new car I'm going to have to be much more careful, even a little dent ruins how I look at the car

·
Registered
66 Posts
Major hail storm hit one of our local Honda dealers....

The night of April 27, 2011 was not a nice on here in our city in northeast Tennessee. Almost everyone in town received hail damage... some areas had hail the size of baseballs, including our local Honda dealership which also sells Nissans, Mazdas and Suzukis. Over 600 cars were destroyed that night at that one dealer. A nearby Ford-Hyundai-Volvo dealership was also destroyed. We had baseball sized hail at my house. On the morning of April 28, you could not buy a new car anywhere in our city (of 52000 people) without hail damage. ALL dealers suffered damage, which is a rarity around here. We were hit with golfball size hail at our house.

I am new here, I guess pics are allowed, if not, mod; please delete, but I wanted to share these. One of these white gen-9 Civics I had looked at the day before the hail was destroyed. The dealer finally got the windows replaced and I think its available now for like $14,000... sticker is $25,000. One had hail hit so large that is also busted through the rear package shelf!!

This car is white, but its hard to see the hail damage, but you can on some others I will post... will make you cringe. It even stripped the leaves off of the trees! Again, this hail storm hit on the night of April 27. I think I took these pics 2 days later. They are still replacing windows in cars at this dealership 6 weeks later. Not one car on the lot had a window that was not broken....

Here is the same Civic before it was destroyed...

Its a white car and hard to see, but look sharp and you can see the huge dents...

even this old rust free '88 Accord (from Idaho) was destroyed...

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Wow, well welcome to the 9th, how are the dealerships fairing now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, well welcome to the 9th, how are the dealerships fairing now?
Thanks for the welcome!

Well the dealers are kinda strange, I am still seeing alot of hail damaged vehicles on the lot. This dealer I posted the pics of was on the southwest side of town and was hit the hardest.... north side was not as bad, so those cars only suffered minor dings to the top areas. The Toyota dealership, as well as the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and the Chevrolet-Cadillac dealers were very lightly hit, as well as the Buick-GMC dealer. The Ford-Hyundai-Volvo-Nissan-Honda-Mazda-Suzuki- dealers were hit the hardest. Their latest ad says that they are selling some new cars as much as 50% off, which I think were mostly the Suzukis. The Ford dealerships is not moving their hail damaged cars too fast, I think they have them priced too high.

The Honda dealer (which also sells the other cars) says they have sold 300 hail damaged cars, but still have about 300-400 left, but they are getting new stock in now for those who dont want hail damaged cars. The Ford dealership still has very few (if any) new non-damaged cars on the lot. Hyundai is stocking back up too.

The Toyota dealer has two large undercover shelters, so many of their cars were not damaged, but the trucks were exposed and has like a ding or two on the tops and hoods, they have marked them down about $1000, which seems unfair since they were running a $6000 off on the Tundras in March, lol.

Oh and some of those pics of the cars with the broken windshields were new Nissan Altimas.... but all cars had cracked windshields, some where hammered though like you see here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh, I also meant to mention that this storm had a tornado warning with it... a tornado signature went right over here and my house, but it didnt touch down, but it did touch down 30 miles northeast of here and killed three people and hurt 55 in a small town and another 30 miles southwest of here and killed 6 in that town and hurt 40. We had two more tornado warnings later that night, then we were hit again in late May with tornado warnings and large hail in the same areas... this dealership has been hit 3 times!!!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Wow, that's an intense storm dude. Were houses damaged badly too? For people who lived in the area that must have been horrible, broken windows and messed up cars :(

Amazing chances to get an extremely marked down new car though, people should JUMP on that!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
those March storms were crazy I was without power for over a week, you really overlook some of the luxuries of life until you lose them, no gas, electricity, running low on food it was crazy

·
Registered
82 Posts
those March storms were crazy I was without power for over a week, you really overlook some of the luxuries of life until you lose them, no gas, electricity, running low on food it was crazy
Yeah. I went through Hurricane Ike, which wasn't half as bad as a lot of other disasters, but we still had no power for days, people charging their phones and laptops at the mall which was PACKED (caps lock does not describe it), taking your chances at intersections with no street lights working, hoards of people rushing stores that were open for supplies. It's crazy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, that's an intense storm dude. Were houses damaged badly too? For people who lived in the area that must have been horrible, broken windows and messed up cars :(

Amazing chances to get an extremely marked down new car though, people should JUMP on that!
Yeah, many houses had holes busted into the siding and many people had to have roof tops replaced - also many windows in homes were shattered out - it was bad. We have alot of trees at my house, so they saved us from alot of damage but my car (an old '95 Lincoln) had $1300 in damage, I am glad I kept comp insurance on it, lol. Almost everyone in town car damage if their cars werent in a garage. My aunts 2001 Altima was totalled. One of our walmarts which is next to the Honda dealer had all of the skylights shattered out. I have a friend that works there and she said people were screaming and running everywhere as baseball size hail was crashing in.

Yeah, I am getting a new car- my time frame is 4-6 weeks, I am sure they may all be sold by then, but I have to wait a bit longer before I take the plunge. I was looking even before the hail, so I really wouldnt mind getting a non-damaged car, but I surely could have got a super nice and $ car for what I would pay for a plainer non-damaged one. Mom is getting a new SUV soon, I told her to look into those Honda vans... I think that white one in the pic above stickered for $41K and I think it is like $29K now! They did replace all broken windows, said was not allowed to sell with broken windows.

Yeah we had some in March that were bad, but our worst ones were in late April and through May. Still getting those afternoon storms, even yesterday some popped up and had quarter size hail, but no damage reported I dont think. Alabama has been hit hard for sure, sad all of the destruction so many have seen this year and lost lives.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
thank god theyre over now in alabama, but then missourri over in joplin, whats up with the weather this year?

·
Registered
66 Posts
thank god theyre over now in alabama, but then missourri over in joplin, whats up with the weather this year?
Yeah alot of larger metro areas hit this year - Tuscaloosa, Joplin, Raleigh, Minneapolis, etc. Been a bad year for sure. This is the worst we have had it in years in this part of Tennessee.

Now I hear an above average hurricane season expected, which is more bad news for the southeast and east coast later this year.

1 - 20 of 382 Posts