9th Gen Civic Forum banner

361 - 380 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yesterday, the car was fine, I just stopped to shop some things and after 20 minutes, the car showed "Check emission system" and will no longer start. Some time ago, happened the same but it started after some minutes and after cleaned the MAF and disconnected and connected it again, but this time this didn't work.
Also, for some reason, I cann't connect an ELM327 scanner and another one WiFi from autozone. The car was towed to my home and I don't have a clue about what is happening. I'll appreciate your help.
Rodents chewed important wires?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,952 Posts
Do you have any power? Doors lock unlock radio works?

Yesterday, the car was fine, I just stopped to shop some things and after 20 minutes, the car showed "Check emission system" and will no longer start. Some time ago, happened the same but it started after some minutes and after cleaned the MAF and disconnected and connected it again, but this time this didn't work.
Also, for some reason, I cann't connect an ELM327 scanner and another one WiFi from autozone. The car was towed to my home and I don't have a clue about what is happening. I'll appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Does the check engine light:
Come on, stays on solid, or blink.

Check fuse A21 in the under hood fuse box

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah, it has power, the battery is good. The check engine comes and stays on solid, plus the message on the i-Mid. The starter works, just it doesn't start. A21?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, all the fuses are good. The A21 refers to the IG Main, right?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Check the gas cap. Retighten. Also see what thw codes are?
The gas cap is tight, I took it off and put it again. I don't see any codes, just the message. Today in the evening a mechanic that works at Honda will check it, he has
the Honda scanner, I hope it's not something serious.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Well, all the fuses are good. The A21 refers to the IG Main, right?

That fuse supplies power to the pgm-fi main relay #1.
Hopefully the scan tool will supply a DTC to troubleshoot.
If not; I would check the power and ground circuits for the ECM/PCM first.
Use key words ecm power ​circuit to find the trouble shooting on service express or ISIs (tech should have access with his DPTS number.)

·
Registered
730 Posts
That fuse supplies power to the pgm-fi main relay #1.
Hopefully the scan tool will supply a DTC to troubleshoot.
If not; I would check the power and ground circuits for the ECM/PCM first.
Use key words ecm power ​circuit to find the trouble shooting on service express or ISIs (tech should have access with his DPTS number.)
Thanks, I'll take your advice. Regarding the "Canister Purge Valve", Coud a faulty one prevent the car to start?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Thanks, I'll take your advice. Regarding the "Canister Purge Valve", Coud a faulty one prevent the car to start?
Not likely but never say never on this stuff.

The purge valve is powered by way of the ignition switch through fuse #B2 (under dash fuse box), then grounded by the ECM/PCM.
That fuse also supplies power to the ELD, MAF, secondary o2 sensor heater and the brake pedal position switch.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not likely but never say never on this stuff.

The purge valve is powered by way of the ignition switch through fuse #B2 (under dash fuse box), then grounded by the ECM/PCM.
That fuse also supplies power to the ELD, MAF, secondary o2 sensor heater and the brake pedal position switch.
Thank you so much Teeps, I'll check that fuse once I get home for lunch.

·
Registered
730 Posts
All the fuses are fine...

·
Registered
730 Posts
This guy didn't come, so Honda dealer would be.

·
Registered
730 Posts
False contact in one of the ECU connectors, car started normally... When replacing the transmission mount, Do they have to remove the ECU? I'm almost sure they leave it that way some time ago.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
False contact in one of the ECU connectors, car started normally... When replacing the transmission mount, Do they have to remove the ECU? I'm almost sure they leave it that way some time ago.
Glad its fixed. They might disconnect the ecu wires as to not short the ecu but they do not remove it. Such a simple fix and going to remember this one. I had a check charging system light on and my dealer replaced the ecu and battery with sensor. I thought the ecu was a recall because the engine and trans module is in one unit and the recall was for the trans. Dealer said it was not a recall so think there might be issues with the PCMs.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Glad its fixed. They might disconnect the ecu wires as to not short the ecu but they do not remove it. Such a simple fix and going to remember this one. I had a check charging system light on and my dealer replaced the ecu and battery with sensor. I thought the ecu was a recall because the engine and trans module is in one unit and the recall was for the trans. Dealer said it was not a recall so think there might be issues with the PCMs.
Yeah, sometimes the easy repair is good one. If I couldn't connect 2 scanners, I should have assumed that the ECU wasn't getting any power... Well, hopefully we'll not get any of this ECU issues again.

Reactions: Silver2Coupe

·
Registered
1 Posts
more than a week ago, i took my car to the dealer for the 120000 mile maintenance, and everything checked out "great"... on Sunday night, 3 lights came on, "Check Emission System", "Check VSA System", and "Check Power Steering system". So the next day i took it back to dealer, and after a whole day, they told me they had to clean out some excess carbon stuck in the engine, and it should be ready to go. So next day I went to work, and on the way back, the 3 same lights came back on. So the next day I took it back to dealers again. And this time they couldn't figure out what was the cause for the whole day and needed to keep my car in the shop... and Thursday they told me that I have a faulty VSA modulator, and they'll need to order me a new one, which would take another day. They let me rent a car for the weekend, and on Monday I came back and they said the car is not ready yet... so Tuesday I came back and they said they had to replace the Map sensor too, but the car should be ready now... charged me $1900+, would have been $2100 if I didn't notice they charged me again for transmission fluid which they charged me on the 120000 mile maintenance.... Anyway, at least the whole thing is over.... or is it? I drove to work again, and after work, the SAME 3 LIGHTS CAME BACK ON AGAIN. Now... what can be the issue? should i bring it back to the same dealer(i've been going to them last 5 years) or look elsewhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 Civic LX CVT: ABS SRS VSA Powersteering lights on. Shitty ebay OBDII no errors or logged errors.
Car is in New England (cold winters snow and salt on the roads) but super warm days 40+ lights go off some times.
1/09/18: installed Philips 9006 CrystalVision Ultra bulbs (no error lights)
1/12/18: installed factory skid-plate not sold with car (no error lights)
1/24/18-2/1/18 (Error lights On)
2/2-2/4 Car not driven
2/5 40 degrees out sunny (lights off all day)
2/6 (lights back on)

What I've tried: 2/12/18:Battery tester said 70 charge after driving 45 mins on highway: Bought New Diehard battery 51R
2/20/18: Unplugged battery terminals and touched the wires together to reset ECU (lights off for 1 min then when I started driving all came back on)
2/21/18:Lights on in morning drive to work. Left work 5PM (not using headlights, radio, bluetooth) 70 degress out lights off!
2/22/18: morning 40 degrees lights came back on

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 honda civic ex
I was picking my girlfriend up from work today and when I was driving down an alley (maybe 10 mph, probably less) I hit a pothole filled with water, no visible damage was done but the dash said to check the VSA and power steering systems. I have a cheap OBD II sensor but no codes were thrown and the car drives fine(doesnt pull, abs doesnt kick in randomly ect). Could this be water getting into the sensors or something? I know Im probably going to get told to take it onto a dealer but I thought I would check here first.

361 - 380 of 399 Posts