9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Civic LX coupe sputtering and getting a CE light. [empty]

I recently installed a cai on my 2012 Civic LX coupe. I went with one of the 3" kits and some spare 3" pipes from Autozone, and I'm using a Spectre air filter. About 60 miles after the installation I got a Check Engine light, and the iMID displayed "Check Emission System." I took it to Autozone and had the code checked and it said that my engine was running lean. The guy at Autozone didn't know much about the newer 2012 systems so I'm running a little blind here. Any help would be appreciated.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Sounds like you increased air flow enough with your CAI install to go outside the ability of your ecu to keep the proper air/fuel ratio and that triggered the code that was read. This is not that uncommon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright, is there any way to either limit the airflow or get my air/fuel ratio back on track? I've noticed some stuttering of the engine when I have the accelerator pressed down pretty far, but only when it's revving at 3,000 rpm, and this occurs in every gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check emission system[empty]

Took my new 2012 SI sedan to the dealer-recommended window tinter today. When I turned it on to drive it home, I got two errors: "Check Emission System," and "Check VSA system." I turned it off, turned it back on, got the same two errors again.

Went back into the shop, asked what happened. They told me my batter died while they were working on the car and they had to jumpstart it. They said they saw the errors, called the dealer, and were told it would go away.

I drove it home, noticed that the dash lights were pretty dim, but it drove okay. About 20 miles later I got home, turned it off, then turned it back off--no error codes this time.

What does all of this mean? Is this just low voltage shenanigans, or has the electric system compromised something? Any recommendations?

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
??? getting a window tint that came with check engine light? Something is fishy. :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking it has to do with the draining and jumping of the battery. They insisted they only used water and film on the windows and didn't touch the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
more then likely cuz it was low voltage is probably why your lights came on, oil pressure sensors are popular for doing that when they are either shitty or just not getting enough power to them (low voltage)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you're right. No error messages today. I kinda think the red accents around the speedometer don't show up as well as before, but it has been kind of bright, and I may just be a hypochondriac.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Same thing happened to me when they tinted my car. They kept the key in and in the on position (bit car wasn't on) so they could use the windows. This made the drl turn on and kill my battery. Got the same errors as you. After a day it went away and no issuers since then.

Sent from my Desire HD

·
May 2012 K24Z7 ROTM Winner
405 Posts
Good to know, I won't worry when I get the errors after my first battery craps out...or if an installer does the same thing :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
The ecu can make adjustments within a certain range, you are probably outside the range it can operate safely within. You could try a simple prefilter over your existing air filter and see if that helps at all. You could try some sort of baffle as well. Anything you do will be trial and error but if you can get the ratio a bit richer it may work out ok. Too rich won't hurt the engine, just your fuel mileage. Too lean can get ugly fast.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Errors VSA, Power Steering, ABS and Brake

I was cleaning my engine bay today (just wiping everything clean) and I decided to see what was involved with the intake tubing through the fender. I ended up removing the tubing but meanwhile I had the car in accessory mode to run the radio. The battery ended up going almost dead. I charged it up and when I turned the engine over I got these errors on my iMid and gauges cluster. I took a quick look around and don't see anything in there that came loose. As of now I have the battery terminals disconnected to see if I can clear the codes but it seems strange that just removing the tubing could cause all those things at once and I am positive that I did not knock 4 sensor plugs loose.

Any ideas other than wait and see after letting the ECU reset?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok, so I just put the terminals back on and the codes showed up. Figured I would take a drive through my building complex and as soon as I started moving they disappeared. Not sure what the deal is with it but should it pop up again I'll just go to the dealer.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had it happen to me today. We had a bad thunderstorm, I didn`t do anything to the car today, except put my ez lip on. Lol Almost sounds like we might have a moisture related problem???

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's because the ECU needs to see a signal from the vehicle speed sensor. It's completely normal and should not have any stored codes. It is because your battery was run down.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My battery wasn`t drained. Just started the car and the warnings started showing up.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Maybe the voltage got below a certain threshold or the fact that you left the key on for so long caused it? Whatever it was, it shouldn't be an issue.

21 - 40 of 394 Posts