9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says I am a strong believer when I say I think my motor is done!

While driving around the mall yesterday having a good ol' time my car just died on me.
No check engine lights no leaks, just started her up began to drive home and she bogged out. I pushed it back to the mall.
I pulled out my spark plugs and Cylinder two's plugged looked like this.

Not only that the plug was hard to get out.

I replaced the plugs, started the car up after getting a jump and it sounded like a Harley Bike.
I still owe money on this car, if the piston is as bad I think it is what would be my best course of action.

The car is running E85 and has FBO.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
i think you may have ruined your engine. last i knew, honda's were never meant to run on E85 fuel.

·
Registered
183 Posts
eeeeeek bummer.
compression test? did you pull the other plugs? was the car driven hard prior to the boggyness issue?
i had a similar issue on a supercharged cobalt. the top piston ringland went on her, and sounded like a subaru lol.
not saying thats the problem, but i hope your solution is a simple one.
good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plan on doing that next week monday, me and a few car guys here in Soflo think the piston was slapping and running hot.
Plug looks like F.O.D., like from a dropped valve or other foreign object in the combustion chamber. I'm guessing a dropped valve.
It can be fixed... but at what cost?
Pull the head then decide to fix or find a used engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eeeeeek bummer.
compression test? did you pull the other plugs? was the car driven hard prior to the boggyness issue?
i had a similar issue on a supercharged cobalt. the top piston ringland went on her, and sounded like a subaru lol.
not saying thats the problem, but i hope your solution is a simple one.
good luck keep us posted.
I was driving it, hard but not constantly, I always let the car warm up prior to driving out with it given the mods. It sounds like a Harley bike lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably toasted your vales. While running E85 its a good idea to cycle in some 91-93 every 5 tanks, because E85 lacks the lubricity of good ol' gasoline. The extra 15whp isn't worth the dried up valve IMO.
I dont have flex fuel kit... I thought once you go on E85 you cant swap back. Without the flex fuel kit?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I dont have flex fuel kit... I thought once you go on E85 you cant swap back. Without the flex fuel kit?
Wait, I thought E85 was bad about having a wide range of ethanol content, requiring a flex sensor. Am I wrong on that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait, I thought E85 was bad about having a wide range of ethanol content, requiring a flex sensor. Am I wrong on that?
Not to sure to be honest from what I’ve googled and YouTube’d, once you go e85 on the 9th gen, you can’t go back to pump without a flex fuel kit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't believe e85 is 85% ethanol on every fill up. I believe there's a wide variant. Definitely a flex fuel kit would be needed to compensate the difference levels of ethanol from each fill up. If your car was tuned on let's say 80-85% ethanol, and somehow on one of your fill ups it actually was 50% ethanol, I think they has a higher risk of blowing the motor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't believe e85 is 85% ethanol on every fill up. I believe there's a wide variant. Definitely a flex fuel kit would be needed to compensate the difference levels of ethanol from each fill up. If your car was tuned on let's say 80-85% ethanol, and somehow on one of your fill ups it actually was 50% ethanol, I think they has a higher risk of blowing the motor.
I am confused now, because I was told by my tuner to bring 10 gallons of E85. so I did. he ONLY DID ONE PULL (on dyno) with the e85 in the car and sent me on my way. So you are telling me that I probably wasnt tuned for full e85?:unsure:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am confused now, because I was told by my tuner to bring 10 gallons of E85. so I did. he ONLY DID ONE PULL (on dyno) with the e85 in the car and sent me on my way. So you are telling me that I probably wasnt tuned for full e85?:unsure:
The ethanol content is not consistent between stations and/or fill ups. So basically, if you were tuned at whatever level during your initial tune; your next fill might not have the same ethanol content. This is why a flex kit is important because it allows the computer to compensate in the difference of ethanol content between fill ups.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ethanol content is not consistent between stations and/or fill ups. So basically, if you were tuned at whatever level during your initial tune; your next fill might not have the same ethanol content. This is why a flex kit is important because it allows the computer to compensate in the difference of ethanol content between fill ups.
Makes sense.
God dammit this all could've been avoided if I had a af/r gauge and flex fuel sensor.
i even asked him (tuner) if all i needed was injectors and he said yup.
I guess I should've done more research. I am looking into getting a k24z3 and swapping the bottom end if mine is damaged, hopefully it fits and I can go back to pump gas.
If not Ill just get a k24z7 longblock. and buy a flex fuel sensor and af/r gauge.
My only concern now is if I do buy these motors would I have to stay on E85?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Makes sense.
God dammit this all could've been avoided if I had a af/r gauge and flex fuel sensor.
i even asked him (tuner) if all i needed was injectors and he said yup.
I guess I should've done more research. I am looking into getting a k24z3 and swapping the bottom end if mine is damaged, hopefully it fits and I can go back to pump gas.
If not Ill just get a k24z7 longblock. and buy a flex fuel sensor and af/r gauge.
My only concern now is if I do buy these motors would I have to stay on E85?
Have you thought about just rebuilding the short block? If it's not your daily, I would slowly build the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you thought about just rebuilding the short block? If it's not your daily, I would slowly build the car.
it is my daily, if rebuilding the short block is better an cheaper then I am going to do that.
But I still havent opened up the motor So check so I am just trying to prepare for the worst

·
Registered
212 Posts
it is my daily, if rebuilding the short block is better an cheaper then I am going to do that.
But I still havent opened up the motor So check so I am just trying to prepare for the worst
Gotcha.......... definitely keep us informed.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts