9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I dont have flex fuel kit... I thought once you go on E85 you cant swap back. Without the flex fuel kit?
Your tuner could've gave you a base tune with simple corrections to run a tank of gasoline on. That's the hassle of not having the flex fuel kit. I don't think I'd use that same tuner again if i was you. I do all my tuning on my own now. Simple corrections every month help the car run better anyways. You could also run datalogs yourself, and check that the tune is sill safe. That's also a whole learning process in itself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
RRCoupe might be correct. Maybe look for another tuner. A reputable tuner.
Welp I just text him.
I kinda texted him early in the morning (3am) when this all went down and didn’t get a very friendly response. Given the time it happened at.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you buy a block, put it in, and a proper flex fuel set-up, you still should 100% retune. But that's allot of work, and money for 10-15hp and reduced mileage.

Who knows what your original tune ethanol content was. If you install the correct flex fuel sensor, you now know your current fuel, but it's impossible to reference it to the fuel on your original tune.

How long ago was you tuned like this? Did they seriously do one pull on the Dyno with E85 and send you home? Have you contacted that shop to clear up any of this confusion?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you buy a block, put it in, and a proper flex fuel set-up, you still should 100% retune. But that's allot of work, and money for 10-15hp and reduced mileage.

Who knows what your original tune ethanol content was. If you install the correct flex fuel sensor, you now know your current fuel, but it's impossible to reference it to the fuel on your original tune.

How long ago was you tuned like this? Did they seriously do one pull on the Dyno with E85 and send you home? Have you contacted that shop to clear up any of this confusion?
I got tuned in December last year on the 13th.
He did three pulls the first two he said I still had a small amount of 93 in the car, on the third pull I made 233/191 and he said "alright your good, it should feel nice. " and sent me on my way. Dyno tuned.

edit: I just text the tuner and I am waiting for a response. As previously mentioned,I panicked and sent him a text at 3am the day this all happened, he told me to " text him when its not 3am" and that, "I woke up his son" I said sorry and didn't text him back till today. 😅

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your tuner could've gave you a base tune with simple corrections to run a tank of gasoline on. That's the hassle of not having the flex fuel kit. I don't think I'd use that same tuner again if i was you. I do all my tuning on my own now. Simple corrections every month help the car run better anyways. You could also run datalogs yourself, and check that the tune is sill safe. That's also a whole learning process in itself.
I was recommended another tuner. I did text the one I got this previous tune from and I am still waiting to hear back from him. If I dont hear back by the end of the day ill just be taking my loss;
either rebuilding the motor or buying a short block, getting a flex fuel kit along with a af/r gauge, and go to a different tuner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Sorry if spamming.

I found a long block, for $800 stock with 30k miles on it, could I just return to pump gas if I swap this one in?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Alright, there's some confusion somewhere on this.
With the right steps, you could have switched to pump gas on the tank before engine failure. I suggest finding a new tuner, then talking to them about this subject.
I have not switched fuels on my car, so I could only speculate what that procedure would be.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got tuned in December last year on the 13th.
He did three pulls the first two he said I still had a small amount of 93 in the car, on the third pull I made 233/191 and he said "alright your good, it should feel nice. " and sent me on my way. Dyno tuned.

edit: I just text the tuner and I am waiting for a response. As previously mentioned,I panicked and sent him a text at 3am the day this all happened, he told me to " text him when its not 3am" and that, "I woke up his son" I said sorry and didn't text him back till today. 😅
You also have to get into the habit of watching your Knock counts, and making sure everything is up to temp before you do a pull. That's what sucks about a dyno tune. No dyno or conditions are the same. Also he tuned the car for the current dyno room conditions. Rolling resistance is different on the street, same with the air temps always fluctuating, say you sit at a stop light for too long. Your IAT temps will shoot up and throw off the tune if he didn't tune for all those factors. Which take way more than just three pulls.

I would go with a street tuner or a really competent dyno tuner who will do a 2-3 hour sessions with you. He will dial in all the factors not just WOT which is what your previous tuner did.

You can very easily make a quick base tune in flashpro. That being said a base tune is not a tune for WOT pulls in 5th gear, its just to get you to and from the dyno. So delete that tune before you blow another motor. Revert back to stock or near stock base tune, till you get a street tune or dyno tune. A good street tuner will walk you through the process but it will take at least 12 revisions for a full tune to be completed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You also have to get into the habit of watching your Knock counts, and making sure everything is up to temp before you do a pull. That's what sucks about a dyno tune. No dyno or conditions are the same. Also he tuned the car for the current dyno room conditions. Rolling resistance is different on the street, same with the air temps always fluctuating, say you sit at a stop light for too long. Your IAT temps will shoot up and throw off the tune if he didn't tune for all those factors. Which take way more than just three pulls.

I would go with a street tuner or a really competent dyno tuner who will do a 2-3 hour sessions with you. He will dial in all the factors not just WOT which is what your previous tuner did.

You can very easily make a quick base tune in flashpro. That being said a base tune is not a tune for WOT pulls in 5th gear, its just to get you to and from the dyno. So delete that tune before you blow another motor. Revert back to stock or near stock base tune, till you get a street tune or dyno tune. A good street tuner will walk you through the process but it will take at least 12 revisions for a full tune to be completed.
I did go to a reputable tuner, down I’m here is south Florida there are really only two tuners, who people speak of. I guess it’s my own fault too, I should’ve been data logging at least once a week. i always let my car warm up before I drive it, I wait for my rpms to hit about 850 that’s what they stopped at with the tune I had when warm and my ECT were good!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I don't believe e85 is 85% ethanol on every fill up. I believe there's a wide variant. Definitely a flex fuel kit would be needed to compensate the difference levels of ethanol from each fill up. If your car was tuned on let's say 80-85% ethanol, and somehow on one of your fill ups it actually was 50% ethanol, I think they has a higher risk of blowing the motor.
I stand corrected; should have looked it up before posting.
But you are 100% correct.
Apparently E85 can have between 51 and 83% ethanol...

Sorry guys, let this be a lesson on believing what you hear...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just a update for those who are still here, I dropped a valve as confirmed by my mechanic. I think these process had begun from months if not weeks prior.As with my last oil change I noitced I had lost a whole quart of oil. Apparently the 2012- 2013s had oil consumption issues. I just bought a motor from a 2014 with 37k miles on it and will be swapping my bolts on over getting a flex fuel kit and pump along with a new tuner. Wish me luck guys! Well keep everyone updated!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just a update for those who are still here, I dropped a valve as confirmed by my mechanic. I think these process had begun from months if not weeks prior.As with my last oil change I noitced I had lost a whole quart of oil. Apparently the 2012- 2013s had oil consumption issues. I just bought a motor from a 2014 with 37k miles on it and will be swapping my bolts on over getting a flex fuel kit and pump along with a new tuner. Wish me luck guys! Well keep everyone updated!!!!
How much you pay for the motor? good luck with everything!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
How much you pay for the motor? good luck with everything!
$800 for a longblock with 37k on it from a 2014. We are trying to find shipping via freight but we cannot find a good rate.... if anyone has a site that would help a ton.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just blew a rod in my car which is my daily driver. I said to myself, now what? How do you get to work or pick your kid up? You can buy a used motor on ebay within your state. There are hundreds of them and they deliver. Get the car to a garage who will swap out the entire motor. I had my car back and running in a week. Just dont putz around. And by the way. Better call an UBER! Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So everyone, I have finally found shipping and hopefully I get the motor in about a week. However I will be buying a flex fuel kit for the car and I haven't found a single guide on how to install if for our 9th gen si's. Does anybody know of any guide or have any insight on how to get this done?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
However I will be buying a flex fuel kit for the car and I haven't found a single guide on how to install if for our 9th gen si's. Does anybody know of any guide or have any insight on how to get this done?
Essentially you will install the ethanol sensor inline with the fuel feed. This will output to the ecu so the computer can adjust the tune based on e content. And most kits have an external gauge for viewing inside the car as well.
Sirimoto has a kit you can check out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 54 Posts