9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Si HFP
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I just Grenaded my engine last night and I’m looking for a new k24 to swap in. I’m in need of any advice, if possible, regarding anything I should consider before purchase. I know the basics like: how many miles, is it stock, have you done your maintenance, if so when and how, is there any issues, etc. Wondering if there’s anything else I should be weary of when looking at new engines/picking one up.

Also, a buddy of mine suggesting swapping in a k24a3 from a tsx type S. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this swap.

Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would ask to do a compression test on the motor

I think it's possible to swap a k24a3 (someone did this swap and was featured on smoking tire channel).

have you thought about rebuilding the motor?

Reactions: Jesse.V

·
Registered
2012 Honda Si HFP
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I think it's possible to swap a k24a3 (someone did this swap and was featured on smoking tire channel).

Honestly for the price of a new long block it’s not worth it to tear thing down and inspect it really. I found one for $1000 full engine 90km (40k miles) all original no mods with new spark plugs

·
Registered
2012 Honda Si HFP
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How’d you blow your engine?
Honestly I have no idea but I want to assume it was a lack of coolant in the main radiator res. Good news is that there was no metal in my oil so that’s a good sign. Today I took off my entire front end so it’s just a rad support and fenders at this point. I’ll try hand cranking it today with a ratchet but I truly think the crank is locked cause it won’t even turn over.
On top of that all my auxillery works so I have power to everything. Strange thing is that when I turn the key the starter motor doesn’t kick over at all. Like I’m pretty sure it’s suppose to ring ding ding a few before actually kicking over the crank. I’m going to take the starter motor off and inspect it to see if there is anything wrong there first before I start tearing the engine down

·
Registered
2012 Honda Si HFP
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah leak down/compression test I know as well. Thanks though 👍🏻
I heard it’s possible as well but I think it’s too complicated for our chassis so I’m going to stick with the z7 to avoid any bs
And yeah I might rebuild this as a spare while I drop the new one in

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Never hurts to hear it run before purchase.
Leak down test for sure.
Compression test if the engine can be turned over by the starter.
Pull the valve cover to inspect for???
Drain the oil, is there water in the oil pan?
Remove the oil pan look for????

·
Registered
2012 Honda Si HFP
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never hurts to hear it run before purchase.
Leak down test for sure.
Compression test if the engine can be turned over by the starter.
Pull the valve cover to inspect for???
Drain the oil, is there water in the oil pan?
Remove the oil pan look for????
Don’t think he will allow me to remove the pan or drain the oil lol. But thanks for the suggestions 🙏

1 - 8 of 8 Posts