9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

To all of you who may or may not know me I own a 2013 Civic EX Sedan which I bought back in May. I experienced a problem with my vehicle and was informed that there was a service bulletin associated with it so I am here to post my story (I am in no way associated with Honda just here to inform everyone of what happened to me). I just hit 9k miles earlier this month.

Yesterday was a rainy day here on Long Island, NY and my mom sent me out on some errands. I started the car and all was normal just like every other time I have started the car. I drove off and no problems. I parked the car and went in the store and all seemed fine. When I came back out to the car and started it the RPM's began to jump all over the place ranging from 1k to 2k going up and down constantly and nothing I could do would stop it. I then noticed that the check engine light, VSA light, and the power steering light all were on, and displayed on the IMID was "Check Emissions System", "Check Power Steering", and "Check VSA" So I shut off the car hoping that there was a mistake, and I started the car again and all the lights came back on again, the IMID started to chime informing me of all the "problems" but the car was running fine (no more revving of the engine). I drove the car home and it felt fine their were no problems whatsoever besides the annoying chimes and lights on the dash (Image below). When I got home I called Honda to schedule an appointment to get the car checked out and I dropped it off late last night.

Dash Lights Check Engine 1-14-13.jpg

Image shows the Check Engine, VSA, and Power Steering lights illuminated (BRAKE light is on because I always engage the parking brake before parking).

My car is basically stock besides a K&N drop-in air filter, so I didn't believe that I had done anything wrong, but I wanted to bring it in to see what was the problem. As I drove to the dealership and turned into the parking lot all of the lights went away and it was as if nothing happened. My dad told me to leave the car there just so they could scan the code to see what happened.

Job Done at Honda 1-15-14.jpg
This is the code they received (P2176) which refers to the Throttle Response Sensor.

You can read more about it here: P2176 Honda Throttle Actuator Control System Idle Position Not Learned OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

The manager at the dealership explained to me that there is a service bulletin being issued for this problem. (It was a simple ECU update he told me).

I just wanted to inform everyone on what happened to me with my Civic, as you can see it was nothing severe but noteworthy IMO

Regards to all,

Jake

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
So does Honda just wait for this to happen to the 2013 non SI models then fix it or will they contact owners.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does Honda just wait for this to happen to the 2013 non SI models then fix it or will they contact owners.
Not entirely sure, he said that the recall was relatively new and he was shocked that it needed to be done on mine already at 9k miles. I'm assuming Honda will be notifying owners shortly.

A quick check on Honda's website typing in my VIN indicates that no recall has been issued yet, which means that this has to be pretty recent. I'm not too sure how long it takes for Honda to send out the information once they are aware of the situation but my dealer knew about it and said that it's in their systems (on how to correct the issue).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thanks for the info man, I bought my car in may as well, and haven't experienced this issue yet, but if I receive a recall notice in the mail, I will certainly take betsy in to the dealer.

I'll be due for an oil change by next month, I'll have to inquire about this

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info man, I bought my car in may as well, and haven't experienced this issue yet, but if I receive a recall notice in the mail, I will certainly take betsy in to the dealer.

I'll be due for an oil change by next month, I'll have to inquire about this

Yea it's a good idea to call you dealer and find out about this. Like I said nothing happened to the car and the dealer said I would have been fine, but in order to clear the codes and fix the problem, an update was needed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Again just as everyone else has said, thanks for the heads up and I shall be inquiring about this when I get back from my deployment soon.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
There is a service bulletin 13-042 dated May 2013 for dtc P2176

Applies To:
2013 Accord – ALL
2013 Civic – except Natural Gas
2013 Civic Hybrid – ALL

SYMPTOM
The MIL comes on with DTC P2176 (throttle actuator
control system idle position not learned).

POSSIBLE CAUSE
The PCM misinterprets the throttle position sensor
signals and sets DTC P2176.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software.

At this time it's not a "Recall" or a "Product Update", but I suppose that could change.
In order to get this update your car would have to present the DTC.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a service bulletin 13-042 dated May 2013 for dtc P2176

Applies To:
2013 Accord – ALL
2013 Civic – except Natural Gas
2013 Civic Hybrid – ALL

SYMPTOM
The MIL comes on with DTC P2176 (throttle actuator
control system idle position not learned).

POSSIBLE CAUSE
The PCM misinterprets the throttle position sensor
signals and sets DTC P2176.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software.

At this time it's not a "Recall" or a "Product Update", but I suppose that could change.
In order to get this update your car would have to present the DTC.
Ah yes thank you that was the word I was looking for! "Service Bulletin" I remember the dealer saying that I just couldn't remember the exact word, sorry for any possible confusion folks! Thanks Teeps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
this happend to me. I own a Civic Si 2013 Sedan
i dont know why.. but i only had to turn off the car, wait 1min, then i turned on and the problem was resolved. This problem comes 1t time in 3 months
i only had HID kit :(

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this happend to me. I own a Civic Si 2013 Sedan
i dont know why.. but i only had to turn off the car, wait 1min, then i turned on and the problem was resolved. This problem comes 1t time in 3 months
i only had HID kit :(
I would still get it checked out at the dealer. The ECU stores the code for a while. Will still be in there because all the lights went away on mine as I was driving to get it checked out but the code was still there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts