9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Civic SI-ers:

My SI has 32k miles.

When I start moving from a complete stop, I sometimes hear a horrible noise coming from the driver's side at the bottom (in front of the pedals...transmission area?). It randomly happens about 2-5 times a day. I can make it happen more frequently if I am on a hill (20% "success" rate in getting my SI to make the sound). I'd describe it as a loud, cringe-inducing "whirring" noise.

In the video linked below, it occurs at 00:07 and at 00:22. The 2nd time in the video is much worse than the first time.

I brought it in to Honda once and they couldn't reproduce it (since it only happens a couple times a day). I'm bringing it in AGAIN and am better prepared with a recording of the actual sound.

Is this the throwout bearing? What the hell is this?

Forgive my wrinkly foot :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I took my car in at 2k miles for what I also thought was the throw out bearing. They replaced it but it did not fix the noise/vibration I get in my pedal. Your Si sounds way worse than mine did/does so I would show them that video for sure. However my noise comes when I press in the clutch, yours sounds like when you are engaging the clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound goes away if the clutch is either pressed completely in or completely released. It seems to only occur when engaging the clutch (from a complete stop, starting to move). It never lasts for more than 3-4 seconds, but damn does it make me cringe when it happens. Once I'm in gear, it never happens (doesn't happen between any gears except from a complete stop...very rarely when going from 1st to 2nd, but almost entirely from a stop).

Thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
From your description of when the noise occurs and the sound I hear in the video.
It sounds to me, like the friction disk moaning. Does the engine or transmission leak oil/fluid?
Has the car been exposed to high water conditions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From your description of when the noise occurs and the sound I hear in the video.
It sounds to me, like the friction disk moaning. Does the engine or transmission leak oil/fluid?
Has the car been exposed to high water conditions?
Hmmm, interesting suggestion I should look into. I haven't noticed any leaking of engine/transmission fluids. I live very near the coast and we have had a couple flood warnings and, consequently, a couple high-water issues (nothing too major) through the last winter and summer. As much I can remember, it seems to have started early/mid-winter...but that's only as much as my memory is allowing me to remember.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Sounds like the spring(s) in the clutch plate are loose. That noise is clutch squeal or clutch buzz.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the spring(s) in the clutch plate are loose. That noise is clutch squeal or clutch buzz.
Great info. Seaching youtube for "clutch squeal" landed some more accurate results than when I tried "throw out bearing". Of the ones on there that sounded close to mine, one ended up being a throwout bearing for the guy. The other one sounded nearly identical to my issue and ended up being a bent plate on the guys clutch.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
A bad throw out bearing would be squealing as you held your foot down on the clutch pedal and would be less intermittent. Since you say it only happens when just getting underway from a complete stop. Right at the point where the springs are taking some of the shock load out of the drive line. Buzz can be caused by loose, broken or damaged center hub and/or springs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I work at a Honda dealership 'garoofix' and today they issued a request for information on the 2012 Civic Si clutch noise. I will post it below:

To: All Honda Service Managers/Advisors
RE: Request for Visit/Parts: 2012 Civic Si M/T Clutch Noise

Print this iN message and provide a copy to the Shop Foreman and all Service Advisors.

Background

American Honda (AHM) is investigating certain 2012 M/T Civic Sis with a complaint of a clutch noise when engaging the clutch in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear or when accelerating from a stop. The noise can be described as grinding, squeaking, groaning, rubbing or metallic. To fully understand the cause of this condition, AHM would like to inspect the vehicle prior to you attempting a repair of any kind.

Qualifiers

AHM is interested ONLY if the vehicle meets the following requirements:
1.Vehicle must be under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles)

2.No extended warranty

3.No previous clutch repair

Action Required

If you have or know of such a vehicle, please call Technical Research & Support (TRS) Group at ***********. TRS will need to record certain vehicle information and provide you with further instructions.

Thank you.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
It should not take long to find a few to look at since it seems to be pretty common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just took my '12 si into the shop and it was making that awful noise. Its a bad throw out bearing. It is getting replaced for free and honda is giving me a brand new clutch on them.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,542 Posts
I just took my '12 si into the shop and it was making that awful noise. Its a bad throw out bearing. It is getting replaced for free and honda is giving me a brand new clutch on them.
If it is a throw out bearing why are they replacing the whole clutch? Maybe they know it is a more serious issue than that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How many miles are on your car? Mine just started squealing like a bish since it started getting colder.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If it is a throw out bearing why are they replacing the whole clutch? Maybe they know it is a more serious issue than that.

Probably because it would be completely ridiculous to dismantle the car to that level and not just change the whole thing.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
I'd love to see pictures of the "bad" throw out bearing once it's removed.
Please see if they'll let you take pictures so that you can post them.

iirc others have had theirs replaced and it did not eliminate the noise, or they thought it did for awhile only to return.
From everything I have read, what I know of how clutches work, and the rare times my clutch makes the noise; it's simply noise from the friction generated between the fly wheel and clutch pad when they slip on each other for a moment while engaging.

We use quite a few dry pneumatic clutches at work to control machine "parameters" during cycles to transfer appropriate amounts of torque for the product we are running. Theses clutches have no throw out bearing and are as simple as two friction pads, one backed by pneumatic diaphrams for engagement, and an E:p to control pressure to the diaphragms based on torque feedback - more or less needed.

These clutches at times would make the same exact noise on engagement for a few seconds or when adjusting pressure / torque transfer to maintain propper "parameters" for the product. The machine ops would from time to time complain of the noise. When the clutches were new we had no idea if something was wrong or not so we'd tear them down and inspect things to pinpoint the noise for an issue. We did this a few times for our own understanding and never found anything. The clutch functioned fine other than the noise and there was no wear anywhere, only what was normal with the friction facing that was not glazed and had plenty of wear left.

All we did to remedy it was open the clutch housing, blow out any dust, and run as normal... which we did with no issues for years in most cases. Once the friction pads wore to the point they needed changing we simply replaced them with a pad made from different friction material. Once we changed to a new friction material the clutch operated just as it did with the old friction material but without any noise.

I'm pretty sure our clutch "issue" is the same thing, just a noise, not a problem.

Although, I'd like to see your throw out bearing.
If not, it's getting to the point where I'm about to take my clutch apart, inspect everything, and take pictures and post them to the forum just so we know either way and can put this thing to rest.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My Si just started making the exact same noise when I take off in second gear. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens occasionally.

Almost 25000 miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
33k 12 Si here just started about 500 miles ago.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts