9th Gen Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive my Civic like it's an economy car....sanely. How many miles should the OEM tires last on a Civic if tire pressure is monitored very closely and rotations are done every 5 to 6K miles?

What air pressures do most people use? I know what the sticker says on the door frame but that isn't always the best pressure to use. I'm new to Civics. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't know about longevity but from many enthusiast web sites 36 psi is the way to go.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're kidding me, right? Only one reply to this life or death question.....:WTF:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well your questions are about longevity and economy whereas enthusiast's forums are about increasing performance. Regardless your tires should last 40 to 50K miles as long as you have a good front end alignment. There is no need to rotate them that often, I'd say every 10K miles is plenty. Like I said above 36 psi is good but you do not have to monitor it closely. A range of 34 to 37 or so is fine if you ask me. These are not Indy cars. I would say just get in and enjoy it!

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I run 32-34 psi and longevity depends on the tires you have. Driven sanely I would expect a minimum of 45-50,000 miles on standard all season radials. I have done over 70,000 in previous Civics myself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
And what about your question is "life or death?"

·
Registered
175 Posts
really 10k no you should do between 5 and 6k unless you drive in a straight line and never make a turn ha. i have the summer tires and hope for 25k if iam lucky, depends on if it is a v or w rated tire you will not get 50k no matter how much you baby that car. regular all-season t rated 35-40k good.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I always get more than 50k on a set of V rated all-seasons on my Civic. I do not have any idea what summer tire service life would have been since snow is nearly half the year around here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
you must not have a lot of hills or curves up there. i cant imagine how you do this in a si with 17 s

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
im hoping for 40... but would lokve 50 k.... i will cross my fingers...lol

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
you must not have a lot of hills or curves up there. i cant imagine how you do this in a si with 17 s

Yes hills, yes curves and good question on the 17's but the old Si was sprung tighter and tire wear was not an issue as long as the alignment was good and rotation at 7-8k religiously. Dont forget to balance those tires either.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I am not so picky about brand since availablity is more of an issue in the northwoods of Michigan. I have run Dunlop, Yokohama, Kumho and now that car has a set of Hankooks with only 5k on em.

Spirited driving? lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
I drive my Civic like it's an economy car....sanely. How many miles should the OEM tires last on a Civic if tire pressure is monitored very closely and rotations are done every 5 to 6K miles?

What air pressures do most people use? I know what the sticker says on the door frame but that isn't always the best pressure to use. I'm new to Civics. Thanks.

I have the Continental's on mine, which I have to say, I don't hate. I do run 30 in them because they are noisy enough, well sort of. I never exceed the door pressure; why would it be there if it wasn't right? Generally OEM tires never last long. Most OEM's are soft so they are quieter to the ear. I've got 10,200 on mine and I expect them to last quite some time. They have a great traction and temperature rating, as well as a great treadwear number.

If I get 40k out of them, I will be impressed and quite happy.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I am not so picky about brand since availablity is more of an issue in the northwoods of Michigan. I have run Dunlop, Yokohama, Kumho and now that car has a set of Hankooks with only 5k on em.

Spirited driving? lol
I usually run the following above as well with the exception of michelin every now and then. Hmmmm most of my tires usually last 35-40k since I drive pretty aggressively on the Galant. As far as the civic, I've been cruising around alot to put the econ preference in the works. So I expect to get about 4-50k out of them. As far as psi, I run 38 on my 18s for the Galant and 35 on the civic, both nitro air if that matters at all which I dont think it does.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the input. My EX has Continentals on it and they seem to be decent tires at 8K miles. Time will tell about the car and tires. Oh, and just for perfect clarity....it really isn't life or death......:wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got the summer tire option so mine will last about 15 to 20k wish I got 50 out of them

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just got a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport a/s Plus, they came very highly recommended so i went with it. hoping to get 50k at least...but with the way i drive 40k-ish might be more reasonable haha

·
Registered
189 Posts
How's the road noise on the as+ those are a stiff hard rubber compound. I can almost promise the as+ will be disc very soon. I deal with them a lot :( make sure u run at least over35psi in them the shoulders wear very quickly

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.