9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got my new rims and tires fitted and I noticed that the fronts rub a little bit when I go over a slight indent in the road. Is this expected? And would there be anything I could do to fix it other than rolling the fenders?

The rims are 17x7 +40's and the tires are 225/45's. The car is lowered on Tein S.Tech springs, around an inch and a half. Thanks

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,017 Posts
Raise suspension a half inch?

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,017 Posts
Most solutions will cost more than new springs.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm surprised you are having any issues with that wheel spec. I ran a 17x8 +35 and same tire. Never realy had any issues, maybe on big a small rub.
The 225/45 tire is just slightly taller than stock so you may be catching the fender liner a bit.
Honestly if it just minor rub I would leave it as is.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised you are having any issues with that wheel spec. I ran a 17x8 +35 and same tire. Never realy had any issues, maybe on big a small rub.
The 225/45 tire is just slightly taller than stock so you may be catching the fender liner a bit.
Honestly if it just minor rub I would leave it as is.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah I am too, I thought I'd be able to get away with no rubbing since I've seen wider rims and lower offsets like yours work with pretty much no problem. It does depend on how big the dip is and how fast I'm going, so it isn't a big problem that can't be fixed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Definitely odd on that wheel and tire size... How many miles on those struts?

If I remember correctly those springs actually have a decent spring rate in them (close to Swift's I think), so it shouldn't be a situation like with the H&R's where they are too soft for the drop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely odd on that wheel and tire size... How many miles on those struts?

If I remember correctly those springs actually have a decent spring rate in them (close to Swift's I think), so it shouldn't be a situation like with the H&R's where they are too soft for the drop.
The car just passed 80,000 kilometres (or a little bit under 50,000 miles) on what I believe are the original struts.

Tein says the spring rates are 235 lb/in for the front and 297 lb/in for the rear, definitely stiffer than stock.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The car just passed 80,000 kilometres (or a little bit under 50,000 miles) on what I believe are the original struts.

Tein says the spring rates are 235 lb/in for the front and 297 lb/in for the rear, definitely stiffer than stock.
The mileage itself wouldn't suggest a failure, but if you've been on those springs a decent amount of time you could be seeing premature wearing on them. My money would be on them, provided no other issues come to light.

What tires are these? I ask because some, especially those in the low treadwear category, run wider than others. A truly wacky alignment could also cause issues, but I'm assuming that's fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mileage itself wouldn't suggest a failure, but if you've been on those springs a decent amount of time you could be seeing premature wearing on them. My money would be on them, provided no other issues come to light.

What tires are these? I ask because some, especially those in the low treadwear category, run wider than others. A truly wacky alignment could also cause issues, but I'm assuming that's fine.
I've only had these springs on since mid-July so not the longest time but they could definitely be wearing the shocks still.

The tires are Falken Ziex ZE960 A/S, tread wear for the 225/45R17's is 540. I got an alignment a little bit after I got the springs installed but before the new wheels were installed. I'll attach an image of the alignment sheet
Product Font Automotive design Eyewear Material property

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've only had these springs on since mid-July so not the longest time but they could definitely be wearing the shocks still.

The tires are Falken Ziex ZE960 A/S, tread wear for the 225/45R17's is 540. I got an alignment a little bit after I got the springs installed but before the new wheels were installed. I'll attach an image of the alignment sheet
Nothing in the alignment to suggest an issue. Those Falken's aren't out of the ordinary either.

I did just realize though that you are rocking a non-Si, which means my experiences (and probably dpetro's) don't apply. I've not seen or experienced how non-Si's handle that kind of lowering on OEM struts. Those things just may not cut it, while the Si's are usually fine.

Bummer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing in the alignment to suggest an issue. Those Falken's aren't out of the ordinary either.

I did just realize though that you are rocking a non-Si, which means my experiences (and probably dpetro's) don't apply. I've not seen or experienced how non-Si's handle that kind of lowering on OEM struts. Those things just may not cut it, while the Si's are usually fine.

Bummer.
Yeah I do wonder if the fact that it's not an Si somehow changes the wheel fitment and strut stuff. If I need to replace the struts, do you think I should look for 2012-2013 Si struts or just go with aftermarket?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yeah I do wonder if the fact that it's not an Si somehow changes the wheel fitment and strut stuff. If I need to replace the struts, do you think I should look for 2012-2013 Si struts or just go with aftermarket?
It's the valving differences between the two struts that's surely the main contributor.

The Si struts/knuckles use different sized bolts (16mm vs 14mm) so you'll need size-reducing washers for the non-Si bolts. These are an example that come with the BC coilovers.

If you are serious you may want to contact that member and see if you can get those cheap from them. Otherwise you'll have to pay for Tein's kit which was ridiculously priced last time I looked. You could also just try contacting the brands that sell coilovers for both Si and non-Si to see if they'll sell you some.

This thread may also have information you'd like. If you need any clarification, I'd contact RedshiftChris as he is usually a wealth of information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the valving differences between the two struts that's surely the main contributor.

The Si struts/knuckles use different sized bolts (16mm vs 14mm) so you'll need size-reducing washers for the non-Si bolts. These are an example that come with the BC coilovers.

If you are serious you may want to contact that member and see if you can get those cheap from them. Otherwise you'll have to pay for Tein's kit which was ridiculously priced last time I looked. You could also just try contacting the brands that sell coilovers for both Si and non-Si to see if they'll sell you some.

This thread may also have information you'd like. If you need any clarification, I'd contact RedshiftChris as he is usually a wealth of information.
Got it, thank you. I read around that the 2012 and 2013 Si's use 14mm bolts and Honda changed them to 16mm in 2014 and 2015, that's why I thought that I could just look for stuff that fits the 2012 or 2013 Si. I'll definitely look around if I do end up needing replacement struts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts