9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The best synthetic oils offer more mileage, keep the engine cleaner, perform equally well in low and high temperatures, and protect your engine by keeping wear at bay.

Merely a few decades ago, synthetic motor oil was a rare commodity, and we were stuck with regular oil. However, the tables have turned and now motorists can pick from a wide selection of fully synthetic oils. The best synthetic oils offer more mileage, keep the engine cleaner, perform equally well in low and high temperatures, and protect your engine by keeping wear at bay.
See the Top 12 Best Synthetic Oil Products You Can Buy at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Even if just about all the synthetic oils today are good IMHO, having no AMSoil, Idemitsu or Eneos kind of surprise me! Even TGMO 0w20 is solid for the price.

Marko!

·
Registered
57 Posts
sounds like a regurgitation of the press release from the 12 featured oils.. in ordered by nothing more but the authors (incorrect) opinion.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Even if just about all the synthetic oils today are good IMHO, having no AMSoil, Idemitsu or Eneos kind of surprise me! Even TGMO 0w20 is solid for the price.

Marko!
I'd have to agree, not seeing those three is kind of surprising. However, I've been using mobile 1 since forever and have no plans of changing. Having said that with amsoil starting to become more prevalent I'm tempted to make the change.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anybody ever used Mobil 1 Annual Protection? They claim it lasts up to 20k miles. I've used it on my 2013 Civic SI for 1 year now. The oil lasts me up to 7k miles, i never go over 7k miles. Its been pretty good to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anybody ever used Mobil 1 Annual Protection? They claim it lasts up to 20k miles. I've used it on my 2013 Civic SI for 1 year now. The oil lasts me up to 7k miles, i never go over 7k miles. Its been pretty good to me.
if you're going off what the car tells you, the cars oil life indicator works of an algorithm from how you drive and use the car and in what conditions etc... it doesn't sample the actual oil to determine how much life it has left in it. so it doesn't matter if you use gas station special dino oil or the most advanced synthetic out there, your car will show you oil life pretty much the same.

That being said, I'd only run 20k on the same oil if it was a car I didn't care much about...

·
Registered
72 Posts
if you're going off what the car tells you, the cars oil life indicator works of an algorithm from how you drive and use the car and in what conditions etc... it doesn't sample the actual oil to determine how much life it has left in it. so it doesn't matter if you use gas station special dino oil or the most advanced synthetic out there, your car will show you oil life pretty much the same.

That being said, I'd only run 20k on the same oil if it was a car I didn't care much about...
Yeah, i don't go by what my cars oil life indicator tells me. I check my oil once every 2 weeks or depending on how many miles i've put in my car. I know it wont last all the way to 20k miles but changing my oil every 7k miles i think its pretty good, saves me money for mods :smile: Every car is different thought, It might last more or less depending on the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, i don't go by what my cars oil life indicator tells me. I check my oil once every 2 weeks or depending on how many miles i've put in my car. I know it wont last all the way to 20k miles but changing my oil every 7k miles i think its pretty good, saves me money for mods :smile: Every car is different thought, It might last more or less depending on the car.
oh ok, I must have misunderstood you... I thought you were expecting to see 20k out of the cars oil life indicator, my mistake

as far as changing every 7k or so, I wouldn't bother with the 20k oil in that case. any modern quality synthetic oil will easily do 7k. while the 20k may have stuff in there thats a compromise to make it last 20k... (last sentence is mostly my speculation, not stating this as absolute fact)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run Mobil 1 with half a bottle of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and change every 4000 miles. I don;t trust any oil to go further than that and I add extra additives to my oil as well. Change your oil often and your engine will last longer than you want to keep it.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts

Marko!
You can put Motul in that basket as well. One of the best motor oils made but hard to find.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,197 Posts
If you use a quality 0W-20 and change it when the MM says to, it doesn't matter which one you use.

'Which oil' threads are pointless.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i've driven over a million miles in Honda's....always going by the MM. not one of them ever had an engine related issue due to the oil i (dealer changed all the oil) used - which i know wasn't mobile 1, amsoil, any additive etc. my current '14 is the first one to use a synthetic.

if you don't change it regularly, maybe the higher priced, better marketed, fancier colored container might be better....but, for me, not worth the price difference when i'm changing oil every 3-4 months.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
If you use a quality 0W-20 and change it when the MM says to, it doesn't matter which one you use.

'Which oil' threads are pointless.
Well, heck if this thread doesn't need to be deleted then.

The main thing on oil is to keep it changed. Maybe that's how I have 252K miles on a Nissan that's leaving on a 1500 mile highway trip today.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Found a Napa near me that carries amsoil for regular prices. I know where I'll be getting my oil now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts