9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 451 Posts

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
Im guessing putting tape over the light or removing the bulb from behind the dash wont help... as your trusty I-mid will be there with its warning Notificationnn to remind you your tire pressure is not what its suppose to be... so unless you put tape over the imid screen......... yea

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
New Wheels? Wat about tpms Sensors?! Discount tires direct/Collegehills Honda.. Help!

Ok..so everyone wants new wheels... great. but what about the sensor issue...is everyone just transferring the sensors from there stock wheels over to the new ones? I have a few questions. Please any insight will be helpfull if you have any info on this..

Does the sensors from 08-11 civics work with the new 2012 civic?
Or the sensors from the 08-11 accords?
If I purchase an extra set of sensors for the 2012... will i be able to install them on a 8th gen 18 inch HFP wheel that did not originally have sensors??..
(I have seen the collegehills honda video installing the sensors on an hfp wheel.. but those were the 08-11 sensors..) will it be the same with the 2012 sensors???

People say ill deal with the light on in the dash... but remember guys not only will it be the light on the dash its also going to have the stupid notification warning popping up on the I-MID screen!!!

Am i the only one freakin out over this??

·
Registered
53 Posts
UOTE=accord_tsx;23364]My low tire pressure warning came on. All 4 tires measure 30psi (2 gauges, same reading)

1) Is this the normal level to trip the TPMS indicator?

2) Any easy way to see which sensor is indicating a problem other then adding a few pounds to each tire one at a time?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Is it your "TPMS" light or the low pressure icon?
TPMS indicates a communication error between your car and the sensors and can be triggered by things like hydro towers, cell phone chargers and even tinted windows.

Low pressure warnings can register at as little as 6% below normal, in the case of 32psi, 6% would be 30psi, as far as I understand, this is the case.

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
UOTE=accord_tsx;23364]My low tire pressure warning came on. All 4 tires measure 30psi (2 gauges, same reading)

1) Is this the normal level to trip the TPMS indicator?

2) Any easy way to see which sensor is indicating a problem other then adding a few pounds to each tire one at a time?
Thanks
Is it your "TPMS" light or the low pressure icon?
TPMS indicates a communication error between your car and the sensors and can be triggered by things like hydro towers, cell phone chargers and even tinted windows.

Low pressure warnings can register at as little as 6% below normal, in the case of 32psi, 6% would be 30psi, as far as I understand, this is the case.[/QUOTE]

End User You seem to be a little familiar with the whole tpms scene..you think you can help me out with this post

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/wheels-tires/1608-new-wheels-wat-about-tpms-sensors-discount-tires-direct-collegehills-honda-help.html

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ok..so everyone wants new wheels... great. but what about the sensor issue...is everyone just transferring the sensors from there stock wheels over to the new ones? I have a few questions. Please any insight will be helpfull if you have any info on this..

Does the sensors from 08-11 civics work with the new 2012 civic?
Or the sensors from the 08-11 accords?
If I purchase an extra set of sensors for the 2012... will i be able to install them on a 8th gen 18 inch HFP wheel that did not originally have sensors??..
(I have seen the collegehills honda video installing the sensors on an hfp wheel.. but those were the 08-11 sensors..) will it be the same with the 2012 sensors???

People say ill deal with the light on in the dash... but remember guys not only will it be the light on the dash its also going to have the stupid notification warning popping up on the I-MID screen!!!

Am i the only one freakin out over this??

im in the same boat man..really wanna know some more info on this

·
Registered
53 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure about swapping different gen models and sensors. In Canada, tpms does not exist on Civics. At first, I wish we did but now, I'm glad we don't. Makes sense why we have bluetooth standard on lx though. Didn't have to pay for tpms :) I really wish I could have been more helpful, sorry.

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
yeah... thanks though... I see everyone on here talking about wheels and how widee the wheel can be ...what tires can i use... but no one has yet to adress the basic issue of tpms... or if they have they have not shared it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
From what I have read. If you buy new sensors they will have to be "programmed" to your cars computer. They operate the same way as your key does. The chip inside has been matched to your cars computer. If at all possible you should try and reuse your current TPS.

As far as them fitting. I cant say for sure. I guess it just depends on the rims your using them on. I'll be able to use the TPS from the 2012 si rims with Mugen GP's. Safest bet would be to contact Honda directly. Tell them the rims you have and (stock?) and the rims your getting.

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
From what I have read. If you buy new sensors they will have to be "programmed" to your cars computer. They operate the same way as your key does. The chip inside has been matched to your cars computer. If at all possible you should try and reuse your current TPS.

As far as them fitting. I cant say for sure. I guess it just depends on the rims your using them on. I'll be able to use the TPS from the 2012 si rims with Mugen GP's. Safest bet would be to contact Honda directly. Tell them the rims you have and (stock?) and the rims your getting.

very good info man.. I have read on tirerack that new sensors need to be programmed.. but i would like someone to confirm this if it is a fact... i have also "heard" even if you swap out your sensors from current wheels to new ones... you still have to reprogram the tpms computer to recognize the new tire pressure.... again i would like if someone could confirm this...

The rims I will be using are pictured above... they are Honda Stock Factory performance rims... those rims are from 07 and therefore do not have factory tpms on them...

so my question still remains will the 2012 tpms computer recognize sensors from 2008-2011 civics or accords?

If not... If i purchase new 2012 tpms sensors will i be able to install them on this 8th gen hfp wheel...meaning will they fit?

·
Registered
139 Posts
if your dealership skipped the correct steps when prepping the car the TPMS light will come on after ~20 miles indicating the TPMS sensors were never turned on

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
College Hill Honda should be able to answer your question for you.
yeah they probably would... but seems they havent seen this post.. nothing to do but wait.... Ill repeat the questions below...

The rims I will be using are pictured above... they are Honda Stock Factory performance rims... those rims are from 07 and therefore do not have factory tpms on them...

so my question still remains will the 2012 tpms computer recognize sensors from 2008-2011 civics or accords?

If not... If i purchase new 2012 tpms sensors will i be able to install them on this 8th gen hfp wheel...meaning will they fit?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did Some research...

The low pressure warning should come on when the pressure drops to about 26psi (20%) and remains there for a period of time. Depending on the algorithm that Honda uses on the Civic, the light may come on when the pressure drops about 5% to 10% on a single tire relative to the average of the others over a "shorter period" of time.

It is done this way to minimize faults due to temperature variations (pressure changes 1psi per 10deg F) and still be able to alert you when there is a problem.

Since there is a lot of time averaging the low pressure indicator may take a while to go off.

Other then measuring the pressure there is no way to identify which tire or tires caused the fault since the data is saved by sensor id not wheel location on a Civic.

Not unusual to get a false alarm as the tires break in.

Info came from several sources, not from Honda.

·
Registered
235 Posts
According to my information the 2012 sensors should be the same as the 08-11' sensors. They should mount up just fine in the HFP wheels.

We also sell new sensors for your vehicle for only $38.00 each if your interested.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The cost of the sensors isn't redly the issue.....you just have to get them programmed. I was hoping to buy the wheels from CHH and just swap the sensors and keep the same tire pressure

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
The cost of the sensors isn't redly the issue.....you just have to get them programmed. I was hoping to buy the wheels from CHH and just swap the sensors and keep the same tire pressure

Thanks for the info discount tires... you can keep the pressure the same if you get the same size tires...but for example im gettin 215/35/18 so i dont know if its possible to keep the tire pressure the same...but maybe im wrong...hopefully im wrong...becuase if im right then you have to go to the dealer and have them program the new computer to the new pressure of the new tire.

·
Registered
235 Posts
^
The tire pressure doesn't have to be exactly the same. The TPMS light goes off when the pressure drops by 20%. Most lower profile tires use the same or a little higher pressure.
Tire size 215/35-18 is too small for your 2012 BTW. In 18" I suggest running size 225/40-18.

·
9thgen's Official E-thug
1,719 Posts
^
The tire pressure doesn't have to be exactly the same. The TPMS light goes off when the pressure drops by 20%. Most lower profile tires use the same or a little higher pressure.
Tire size 215/35-18 is too small for your 2012 BTW. In 18" I suggest running size 225/40-18.

why is 215 35 too small ?? do you mean because i risk bending the rimm.. or because the car would be lower? what issues would i have...try to let me know quick because i was going to get em installed tommorow.... i actually was doing it so the car would look a bit lower... i dont drive crazy either... but wat are all the cons to thiss?

ohh and ttomcat what size are thosee rims 18 ? and what size are those tires>?

21 - 40 of 451 Posts