9th Gen Civic Forum banner

441 - 451 of 451 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
I am so generally disappointed in technology these days, and combined with the ever-increasing nanny-stateism, I may do something 'radical' when I get rid of this car, and get something old and simple.

The trick will be finding one in good enough condition.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I am so generally disappointed in technology these days, and combined with the ever-increasing nanny-stateism, I may do something 'radical' when I get rid of this car, and get something old and simple.

The trick will be finding one in good enough condition.
Most of those car were part of the junk for money government program that got rid of all the parts and rebuildable cars. I seen lots of Acuras with the good motors people are look for to rebuild in the junk yard that where still in good shape but they put a additive in the motor to lock them up. Only a few parts where able to used. I have a 92 Acura turbo with no rust and a rebuilt B18. I have to get my sons together to fix the oil problem and get it tuned to drive before we cant get parts.

Its all about control. NAFTA was the start of all this and the lost of control of us citizens. 911 changed everything else and put it overdrive. From what you have and health and what you can do is all controlled by the government now. The problem is only a few people see this and the new generation do not remember freedom.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
I remember reading about all that.

Freedom is never 100%. Government allows to be as free as they see fit. They didn't allow cars to die natural deaths, instead killing them prematurely. The only ones that stay alive are those that are kept in the hands of loving owners, or those who can afford no newer.

I am talking about an old car, as in pre-73 or so. I have one brand, and two models, in mind.

I'll find one.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I remember reading about all that.

Freedom is never 100%. Government allows to be as free as they see fit. They didn't allow cars to die natural deaths, instead killing them prematurely. The only ones that stay alive are those that are kept in the hands of loving owners, or those who can afford no newer.

I am talking about an old car, as in pre-73 or so. I have one brand, and two models, in mind.

I'll find one.
Go south and you will still find one at a reasonable cost. My brother in law got a old inline 6 Chrysler and rebuilt the whole car. He is a big MoPar guy and has a few nice ones. Those old cars are what I learned on and heard a 77 trans am for the first time in 20 years Friday. It was not stock but when you hear it you never forget that sound. I was making a delivery and the kid unloading seen me light up like a little kid. I had to explain that is OLD SCHOOL and haven't hear that sound in 20 years.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
I just came back in from trying one of my new wheels from an 8th gen Civic on my car.

I drove around the block a few times, got the speed up to 40 mph, and nothing happened. No lights, no system errors, nothing.

If this wheel's sensor is not calibrated to the car, why am I not getting any error messages? Does it take time for the car to realize that something is amiss? Do all Civic wheel sensors work interchangeably (I had thought 'no' to this one)?

Is the answer within one or more of the over 440 posts in this thread?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
I went back and looked for the answer I remembered was there:

if your dealership skipped the correct steps when prepping the car the TPMS light will come on after ~20 miles indicating the TPMS sensors were never turned on
So after one trip to work, my warning lights should come on. Time to break out the electrical tape.

As long as everything works, I'm going to tape over the warning light only if it flashes. Otherwise, I don't mind it being on. I drive with the VSA/off light on now, anyway. Another one won't matter.

I'm not worried about next winter because I'll put the stock wheels back on next December, and then I will be able to turn off the VSA when necessary.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,108 Posts
Okay, so I brought all 8 wheels to my TLG this morning. The guy who works on my cars broke out the Snap-On TPMS tool, set it for my car, held it up to the wheel, and . . . nothing. Tried it again. Nothing.

He looks at the wheel again and tells me that they have rubber valve stems. TPMS stems are metal (aluminum?). He tries the tool again, and again nothing.

So I pull one of my original wheels from the trunk. He puts the tool by the aluminum stem and the tool recognizes a sensor immediately.

So what I have are most likely 2006 or 2007 wheels which did not have TPMS at that time.

I guess I have 3 choices.

1. Buy new sensors with unique IDs, have them installed and activated, and buy an ATEQ Quick Set or VT-15.

2. Buy cloneable sensors and not bother with any reset tool.

3. Or just leave everything the way it is, and use my original wheels in the snow when I may need to turn off the VSA for traction.

When the imid screen comes on and displays the big, obnoxious Check TPMS warning, the 'i' button can be pushed to remove that screen, and a small 'i' appears in the corner of the imid screen. Also, the flashing (!) only flashes for maybe a minute, and then goes solid. Neither of these bother me.

I may just choose option 3 for now. Maybe I'll get clones when I need to replace these tires.

I'll say again that I despise nannyism, and will continue to look for ways to disable it when I can.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Sorry to revive from the dead.

Just want to make sure I can take my stock sensors out of Honda OEM 17x7 wheels, and change them over to Enkei (same brand, ironically) 17x9 wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

While the TPMS system is certainly useful, it can be quite a chore on some cars to maintain, or downright expensive. I am the maker of some TPMS simulators devices, currently they are good for European Suzuki cars only, and I was looking into expanding them. Not sure whether the 2012-2013 Civic can be a suitable candidate for them. Does anyone feel any need for them at $60 (50 euros) ? I'll be needing a volunteer if so, more details in private.

Advantages:
- no need to program it to the car's ECU (for those non-automatic learning type of sensors).
- corded / replaceable batteries - you do not buy new sensors every 5 - 7 years, especially nice when there are more than one set of wheels in use with your vehicle.
- you will not get these autumn / spring warnings caused by temperature fluctuations.
- no such issues caused by some aftermarket sensors that would not fit into the rims.
- pass the periodic vehicle inspection if your state enforces functional TPMS.
- reversible: the next owner will be able to remove the device and install pressure sensors.

Disadvantages:
- obviously no TPMS functionality.
- if you are involved in a tyre related car accident and your insurance company detects a spoofed TPMS, no more monetary claims you can make; of course, if he can detect that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello,

While the TPMS system is certainly useful, it can be quite a chore on some cars to maintain, or downright expensive. I am the maker of some TPMS simulators devices, currently they are good for European Suzuki cars only, and I was looking into expanding them. Not sure whether the 2012-2013 Civic can be a suitable candidate for them. Does anyone feel any need for them at $60 (50 euros) ? I'll be needing a volunteer if so, more details in private.

Advantages:
- no need to program it to the car's ECU (for those non-automatic learning type of sensors).
- corded / replaceable batteries - you do not buy new sensors every 5 - 7 years, especially nice when there are more than one set of wheels in use with your vehicle.
- you will not get these autumn / spring warnings caused by temperature fluctuations.
- no such issues caused by some aftermarket sensors that would not fit into the rims.
- reversible: the next owner will be able to remove the device and install pressure sensors.

Disadvantages:
- if you are involved in a tyre related car accident and your insurance company detects a spoofed TPMS, no more monetary claims you can make; of course, if he can detect that.
Interested, sent message.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Advantages:

Disadvantages:
Don't be shy folks. Let me know if you want this thing on the market.

441 - 451 of 451 Posts