9th Gen Civic Forum banner
114K views 450 replies 146 participants last post by  kellogs 
#1 · (Edited)
#85 ·
They are pretty sensitive no doubt yet they do allow for a variance and not just signalling at such minor drops in pressure. Previous versions would trigger at 24 lbs or so, I have not tested the 9th gen but expect it is the same.

#91 ·
FAQ - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

I notice a lot of question on the TPMS so I got this from 8th Gen. for those who are still confused. - 8thcivic.com thread - FAQ - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Heres a vid from CHH for those who need visual specs.

FAQ - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
[HR][/HR] Since there has been, what seems to be, an influx of questions regarding this system I figured it would be good to make a sticky with as much useful info as possible. I am by no means an expert... but Ive been dealing with the system enough to heave learned a few things here or there.

I'll be updating this over the course of the next few days since I can only write a bit at a time in between work and/or other things. If you feel there is something I missed that should be added, type it up and I'll put it in the 1st post. Also, if you feel some of the info I have is misleading or erroneous... let me know and we'll see about correcting it.

First things first, there are 2 different indicator lights associated with the TPMS system. It is useful to know which light is which and know what causes each one so that if/when you see them, you know what to check for.

Indicator Lights:

Low Tire Pressure - This light is supposed ot look like a tire with a '!' over it but looks more like a horseshoe.
This indicator means one of your tires (or all) are below the allowable threshold. This light can be a faulty
sensor, but is most likely a low tire, be it from a slow leak, time, or temperature change. Fill your tires up to
the recommended 32psi (or more), and drive for 5 minutes, the light should shut itself off. If it does not,
take car to dealer, it's a faulty sensor.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - This indicator is actually the yellow letters TPMS located in the upper-right
portion of your dash. This indicator means there is a fault in the system itself, be it a faulty sensor, a dead
module, sensors cannot be found or what have you. Take it to the dealer, they will pull an error code (or not if the module is dead),
and replace the affected item.

Onto the FAQ:

1. My Low Tire Pressure light came on but all of my tires look and feel fine. What is wrong?

Please do not be fooled by what you can 'see' and 'feel' by looking at your tires. Every tire is different...
but when it comes to stock wheels/tires, it is likely at 32-33psi. The threshold for setting off the
Low Tire Pressure light begins at 27-28psi.

The different in look/feel between 33 and 27psi would barely be noticeable to the human eye.
So please, before you assume its fine, buy yourself a tire pressure gauge at your local auto store.
They are cheap and very useful.

2. My Low Tire Pressure Light was on, I found the tire that needed air and fix it, but the light is still on when I turn the car back on.

Once the light is on, it stays on until the car can gather enough information to determine that the issue has been fixed. The TPMS system
cannot gather info while the car is not in motion.

If you are 100% sure you remedied the issue, drive your car around for a minute or two making sure you get it up to at least 20mph. After
a minute or so, the sensors should be activated and should have gathered enough info to know that there is the proper pressure inside the tire.

3. My tires dont have any leaks, why did my Low Pressure Light go on?

Most likely, the cause of this is the change in air temperatures as the seasons
change. As it gets colder, the air inside your tires will get more dense, causing
less pressure and possible setting off the indicator.

4. If I get new wheels, will my TPMS still work?

No, with new wheels, the system will not work because the sensors are not attached
to the wheels and thus, the system cannot function, resulting in a 'TPMS' light.

However, you do have a few options:
Option A - Ignore the light and just drive/check your pressure like you would before TPMS was made mandatory.
This is NOT recommended since the system is their for your safety, and should anything happen to you and/or
your car, you may end up at fault for driving with a system that is not functioning. Also, in many states you will
not pass inspection with this light on.
Option B - Buy new sensors and have them installed in your new wheels. This option will allow you to have a multiple sets of wheels
with the system intact. However, the car can only be programmed to recognize one set of sensors at a time. So, you will have to go to a
honda dealership and have the reprogram the system each time you change wheels. People have reported that the cost of this at the dealership
is roughly $100.
Option C - Have the stock TPMS sensor swapped into your new wheels. This option is sort of tricky, because not all wheels are shaped
the same on the inside. Our system has the sensors connect to the valve stem and the sensor must sit flush against the inside of the wheel.
If, due to the shape of your wheel, the sensor will not sit flush... you can create some kind of spacer that will allow the sensor to sit flush.

5. Ive heard that if my TPMS or Low Pressure light is on, I cannot turn VSA on/off. Is this true?

This seems to be the question that has caused the most confusion about the whole TPMS system.
Now, I have tested this numerous times in order to try and understand it as much as possible.

Thanks to tests by myself and other members, it seems as if the manual is NOT correct
when it describes how VSA is always enabled when either light is present.

Again... (on US models 08+), if either light (TPMS) or (!) is on... your VSA will still function as it normally does

6. I have a new set of wheels that I did not put the TPMS sensors in. But the TPMS light did not come on. What gives?

Dont fret... the light will come on eventually. Why there is a delay, I am not sure. The few times I have tested this it
will not turn on until you have driven roughly 40-50 miles.

7. I have a new set of wheels that I did not put the TPMS sensors in. I still have my stock wheels with the sensors
for the winter. Will the TPMS light go off when I put my stock wheels back on?

Yes, when you put on a set of wheels that has the registered sensors onto the vehicle, after a couple minutes of
driving the TPMS light will turn off.

#95 ·
I'm with everyone else. I'd rather not even have tpms. Its not like I cant look at my tires or check them on a regular basis. The only good thing I think they are for is if you get a flat while driving, but even then you'll be able to feel the flat if it gets low enough.

#97 ·
Well, the TPMS system in Hondas is certainly a pain in the --- because you have to take the car in to the dealer for any kind of reset. Our '06 Prius with TPMS lets the driver do it with a reset button.

That said, I am glad that I had the TPMS system a couple of weeks ago. I was doing about 55 on a two-lane road when the MID flashed a big warning sign about tire pressure, and I was able to pull over with some air still in the left rear tire. As I got out of the car, I heard a loud wooshing sound coming from around two serious spikes protruding from right where the inside sidewall met the tread. Within about five seconds, the tire was flat down on the rim. So, yeh, the Honda TPMS system is a pain, but it was good to have.

#260 ·
That said, I am glad that I had the TPMS system a couple of weeks ago. I was doing about 55 on a two-lane road when the MID flashed a big warning sign about tire pressure, and I was able to pull over with some air still in the left rear tire. As I got out of the car, I heard a loud wooshing sound coming from around two serious spikes protruding from right where the inside sidewall met the tread. Within about five seconds, the tire was flat down on the rim. So, yeh, the Honda TPMS system is a pain, but it was good to have.
Agreed. Though I neither mind nor don't mind having the TPMS, it is very nice to have when someone leaves a nail on the road for you to run over. The TPMS system will save you damage to the car from a tire ripping right off the rim, and also save the rim from being driven on more than necessary to pull over safely and mf the nail you ran over.

#98 ·
tpms showing low pressure when cold & disable traction/stability control

If I leave my car outside overnight and its colder than 20 out I get a tpms light almost every time. I've checked tire pressure and everything seems spot on. I understand pressure will decrease slightly because of the cold temp (PV=NRT), but this is a bit disappointing that I get a light every time when there isn't a problem besides the cold temp. What really makes me upset is that it isn't possible to bypass traction/stability control when tpms is in alarm. Is there a way to get past this? I was going to run a non TPMS set of wheels, and don't really want to be forced into trac/stab control. Anyone else having these problems?

#320 ·
If I leave my car outside overnight and its colder than 20 out I get a tpms light almost every time. I've checked tire pressure and everything seems spot on. I understand pressure will decrease slightly because of the cold temp (PV=NRT), but this is a bit disappointing that I get a light every time when there isn't a problem besides the cold temp. What really makes me upset is that it isn't possible to bypass traction/stability control when tpms is in alarm. Is there a way to get past this? I was going to run a non TPMS set of wheels, and don't really want to be forced into trac/stab control. Anyone else having these problems?
The pressure should come back-up once you drive a while and your tires warm up.
My cars is garaged but sometimes when I work late I have the same issue, unfortunately the ideal gas law is a law :(
I typically run 1 to 2 psi higher in the winter, I find this is a happy medium, then I go back to normal in the spring.
Also watch were you get / put air in your tire. Fortunately I have a compressor at home. Some stations don't take care of their equipment and thus will have moisture in their lines, spraying moisture into your tire will exasperate the cold weather TPMS issue and also the feel of your tires till you drive for a while and they heat up.

You could also see if your dealer or anyone locally will give you a nitrogen fill. Nitrogen is a noble gas / inert, it's volume / pressure is not as affected by temperature.

#102 ·
Not entirely true. In my 8th gen Civic, I can turn off VSA with the TPMS light on. This has been a fact across the 3 that I have owned. My 2009 Accord V6 6MT would not allow me to turn off VSA when the TPMS light was on, and I was late to work 5 or 6 times because I couldn't get out of my icy driveway.

#107 ·
2012 Civic TPMS always on

I've had my 2012 Honda Civic for 2 days and the TPMS light continuously comes on. It's going back in for this same service again on Monday - although there is no diagnostic indication that anything is actually wrong. When the TPMS light is on VSA cannot be engaged. I'm documenting everything, b/c I bought this car b/c of the VSA and if Honda can't fix it and I have a problem b/c VSA isn't working, I'm suing.

#108 ·
TPMS sensors

Driving home from a friends house the other day, my tpms sensors went off and notified me through my i-mid display and also through my dashboard. It was late at night and cold so not sure if this is regular for the tires to lose a little pressure with lower temps or could be caused by my HID's that I've recently installed on my car. Once I got home though, I put my car in park and shut off my headlights and a few seconds later, the tpms sensor notification had turned off. Checking my tires after shutting off the car, they seemed to be fine. This hasn't happened to me recently so maybe it was from the cold, or the HID's could be triggering this effect. Has anybody else had this problem because I know another 9th gen civic owner has had tpms going off with the installation of his new HID's and not sure if this is really the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.