9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 sets of rims and tires now, and only one set has tpms sensors. Trying to figure out what I want to do for this.

Looked into sensors that I can clone, but my head starting hurting looking at the hand scanners needed to do all of this. Then got completely lost about the signal Hz. Im not trying to go to a service shop just so I can swap my tires over.

I very much liked the idea of a TPMS sensor bomb, charging a pipe with air and sensors inside of it, and regular fittings on the wheels. However, I know TPMS sensor are much more complicated than I once thought. They have to be excited to wake them up when new, and I've heard if there's no movement they will go to sleep, stop sending signal to conserve batteries. Has anyone successfully done this?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I've got 2 sets of rims and tires now, and only one set has tpms sensors. Trying to figure out what I want to do for this.

Looked into sensors that I can clone, but my head starting hurting looking at the hand scanners needed to do all of this. Then got completely lost about the signal Hz. Im not trying to go to a service shop just so I can swap my tires over.

I very much liked the idea of a TPMS sensor bomb, charging a pipe with air and sensors inside of it, and regular fittings on the wheels. However, I know TPMS sensor are much more complicated than I once thought. They have to be excited to wake them up when new, and I've heard if there's no movement they will go to sleep, stop sending signal to conserve batteries. Has anyone successfully done this?
It's been a while since I worked in a shop, but I think you can just buy a set of programmable sensors from the local parts store, have a shop mate them to the vehicle via scanner and be good to go. Setting up new sensors to a vehicle takes like half a second with the right tool, and most shops wont charge much to program sensors. I don't think the tube would work because of the movement thing like you mentioned.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Two options that can work:
1. Buy a universal set and pay a shop to have them cloned to the stock sensors. Then you do not need to reprogram the ecu each time you swap wheels.
2. Buy a preprogrammed set and an ATEQ quickset. Program the sensor Id's to the ateq software and upload to the ecu twice a year when you swap wheels.

I personally have the ateq. I've used it on my civic, jeep, and wrx.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,105 Posts
2012, 13: in-wheel sensors. 2014 and up: no in-wheel sensors.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
TPMS has to rank near the top of nanny state mandated garbage. How hard is it to just check tire pressure. It's going to have to be added no matter what. Best option is probably to not have it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't care about the low tire indicator if you could still turn off traction control. They've made it so you can't swap rims in your garage without having to pay someone to set new sensors up.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,105 Posts
I wouldn't care about the low tire indicator if you could still turn off traction control. They've made it so you can't swap rims in your garage without having to pay someone to set new sensors up.
Yes, that was my issue with it, as well. I always turn off TC, and with a different set of sensorless wheels, I couldn't do that.

Aside from my '12 being a 5AT, this was the main reason I was not terribly sad about getting rid of it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you can find someone else to go in on it with you, the Autel TS508K is a pretty great value for money.

You can program, clone, and troubleshoot sensors very easily without any need to connect to a PC to modify anything. Comes with 8 sensors and the programmer. I'd keep my eyes open for sales or if you can find a used unit.

I've used the ATEQ quickset and it's alright but not nearly as easy to use. The software can be sketchy and refuse to update and/or work. Doesn't do much for the money IMO either (unless you get it used cheap).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a set from tpms24/7. And when I switched my stocks wheels to my new ones. I didn't have to reprogram them. Driving on the over 6 months. I guess it's a clone or I got lucky. I do have a 2015 so if i did need to reprogram I could from the car menu, which I didn't. I had to before on my other sets of wheels with a different aftermarket tpms. Anyone else tried tpms24/7 and had the same results?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I bought a set from tpms24/7. And when I switched my stocks wheels to my new ones. I didn't have to reprogram them. Driving on the over 6 months. I guess it's a clone or I got lucky. I do have a 2015 so if i did need to reprogram I could from the car menu, which I didn't. I had to before on my other sets of wheels with a different aftermarket tpms. Anyone else tried tpms24/7 and had the same results?
The 2015 does not have tpms sensors in the wheel. Instead it is an indirect system that reads off the abs. This is why you didnt get any warning lights need to reprogram anything.
Unfortunately, you paid for sensors you didn't need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 2015 does not have tpms sensors in the wheel. Instead it is an indirect system that reads off the abs. This is why you didnt get any warning lights need to reprogram anything.
Unfortunately, you paid for sensors you didn't need.

When I swapped my old aftermarket wheels I did have to recalibrate. How did it know I switched wheels?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It was 225 40 18, now I have 235 45 17. I guess it picks up faster rotations. I'm used to my 2012. Good to know when I'm buying my next set of wheels. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sitting at big-o, getting sensors in my old stock rims and all seasons. Summer set of rims and tires have the stock tpms sensors. I should have read into this a little more, I could have bought what Bwill had suggested for the same price I'm paying today, and not come back here in the spring.
I see myself buying the Autel TS508K in the spring. Will pay for itself in the long run. May be able to have a side hustle for other people swapping summer/winter wheels on occasion too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts