9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
so my 2nd set of TPMS will have the same codes as my originals, therefore not needing to have separate codes for each set?

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Anyone ever see PRL's "pipe-bomb" TPMS solution? They basically pulled the sensors and tossed them all in a pressurized cylinder- that way they can run whatever pressure they want at the drag strip without the system complaining.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The "pipe bomb" option does not work on the 9th gens. I drove around with my OE tires and rims in my car with my other tires and rims on it....TPMS warning light still engaged.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
The "pipe bomb" option does not work on the 9th gens. I drove around with my OE tires and rims in my car with my other tires and rims on it....TPMS warning light still engaged.
worked for PRL's 9th... They found that it had to be towards the front of the vehicle iirc

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ateq tpms

Good morning everyone
is anyone using this tool (ATEQ Quickset) successfully? I have been able to get my sensors to "read" that is I get the ID codes on my PC but my TPMS system is flashing and chiming. Can anyone detail the steps they follow?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
38 Posts
So has anyone use N.G.S.'s method of cloning a second set of TPMS or does anyone know who can program a new set of TPMS on my new rims to my ECU? ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So has anyone use N.G.S.'s method of cloning a second set of TPMS or does anyone know who can program a new set of TPMS on my new rims to my ECU? ?
socal.1904 is running my sensors with zero issues. I have done a couple of Civics besides his, folks not on the forum and they also have zero issues. Subies, Mitsubishis, Toyotas and Suzukis as well to date.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Had my winter tires put on Monday, with NGS's sensors. No problems whatsoever, thanks again!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Sweet!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I read the 6 pages on TPMS and I must be dumb as a rock cuz I'm still confused. lol
Blackwidowracer - you just swap your wheels and go without having to reprogram each time you swap, right? Did you buy 4 reprogrammable sensors and have them cloned to your original ones? If you did then I'm not sure why you needed the atec or OBDII. When you say you plugged them into your OBDII port (cant recall now exactly what you said)... are you saying you plug your tool into the car and leave it there? If you have 8 different sensors, each with a different id, how do you just swap and go?

Got 4 Hakkalepitta snows and about to get 4 steel rims from tirerack and am lost on how to solve the tpms problem.

Craftydad

·
Registered
395 Posts
No I believe he bought a new set of tires, wheels, and non-programmable sensors. The sensors have different IDs than his OEM sensors. So when he wants to switch tires, he has to teach the alternate set of sensor codes to the ECU with the Ateq OBDII tool.

3 options:
1) Total cost of programmable sensors was $250. My local tire shop read my OEM codes for free.
2) If the Ateq tool is $150, the sensors would have to be less than $25 a piece for this to be the more cost effective option, and you still have to do a little bit of extra work each time.
3) 3rd choice, which your dealership would like very much, is if you bought a second set of oem sensors and paid them twice a year to re-teach the ECU.

Just so everyone's clear about what is actually going on with the whole sensor codes and ECU thing...
-Every single TPMS sensor has an identification number.
-Your car's ECU needs to be TOLD which TPMS sensors to listen for, likely to avoid cross-talk in traffic with the vehicle next to you.
-So your car's ECU has a bank of memory, specifically for storing 4 TPMS codes.
-The codes in this bank of memory are the ones it's listening for.
-So if any one of the 4 codes it has in memory does not match a nearby sensor's ID, you're gonna have a bad time.
-These codes can be changed. For instance if you have a second set of wheels also with OEM sensors, you'd need to teach the ECU the other IDs every time you switch wheels. Unless you have a programmer, you will likely pay to change them.
-Having a second set of TPMS sensors with identical ID codes to your first set, allows you to pull the old switcheroo on your ECU. Kinda like Indiana jones swapping a bag of sand for the golden idol.
Find_HEr_RIng_Size_and_Style_Indiana_Jones.jpg

Reactions: Skilz10179

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
This is all such bull$hit. Will I be able to swap two sets of Honda wheels off and on if both have the sensors, or will it be a PITA, or will I have the low pressure light on the imid all the time?

I've never had or needed this kind of electronic crapola before. I hate all this complication.

I just wanna be able to change my wheels.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well I'm pretty certain that Honda only sells non-programmable sensors that will have unique ID's. So if you're buying a second set of Honda wheels, from Honda, you're going to end up paying them (or a tire shop / buddy) for endless reprograms until you buy a programmer to do it yourself each time, or switch the OEM sensors out for aftermarket clones and forget about it.

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Okay, thanks. I'll figure out what to do when the time comes.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts