9th Gen Civic Forum banner

TPMS problem solved (programming tool)

69K views 90 replies 40 participants last post by  RSX2Si 
#1 · (Edited)
I run 2 sets of rims and tires. One set for daily driving and one set for Autocross. Until recently, I have had to run my dd tires with the TPMS warning on and TC off and run my Autocross tires with the OE sensors in them, so that I turn off the TC. I bought the Ateq quick set tool, programmed in the TPMS sensor IDs and plugged it into my ODBII port and viola! TPMS warning stays off regardless of which rims I have on. Wanted to pass this on to my other 9thGen owners.

#72 ·
All depends on where the drop center on the rim is but I've installed hundreds of sensors in many after market wheels without hiccup! I don't see why it wouldn't unless you running like a 205/215 on 9 or 10 inch wide wheel. If running a stretched tire fitment it could very well pose a threat but only during mounting process... honestly I think it should work. Only reason I'd buy extra set of sensors would be if you plan on running winter/ summer set up or daily driven set up versus track set up but even then to switch them out I believe they'd have to be re learned each time.not sure if the ecu or tpms module can accommodate 8 sensors at one time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#71 ·
The OEM TPMS sensors can be used on aftermarket rims.

#73 ·
I have Volk GTU's the monitors dont fit, I'm looking to the bomb but, decided to call my local Townfair tire and ask what they do in this situation. They sold me a universal cradle and strap for the Oem sensors. it cost me $289.00 pricey but, no bomb and hey they are Volks so I figure go big or go home. the lug nuts were $300.00 I can spend that on not having a BOMB in the car.

#77 ·
I wanna buy those tpms clones. Is it only N.G.S. that sells it? The ATEQ seems nice but I dont want it to be hanging on my OBD all the time

#82 ·
Just to clarify this, it is much more involved than that and would not be worth the effort. The ECU doesn't even directly factor into it.

ok...i'm thinking i understand this enough to screw it all up. the 2014 civic's (my model) don't have in the wheel tpms sensors...but some other sort of system that is attached to wheel speed sensors and some other techy stuff that i don't understand.

how do i go about putting on 1) 8th gen stock wheels with winter tires or 2) aftermarket wheels with winter tires without tpms issues. my last two cars, i just put on the winter tires and drove around with the idiot light on the dash. not a big deal to me as i religiously check tire pressures.

i went to the alligator sens-it site and got an education on how great their's are, but didn't see where to purchase them.

i'm getting ready to buy something for the winter...but, now, i'm all confused.

HELP....
Right, so the 2014 has an indirect monitoring system as opposed to a direct system with sensors in the wheels (info link). This is good news for you, as it means you don't need any sensors for your wheels. Just throw some on and go!

#80 ·
ok...i'm thinking i understand this enough to screw it all up. the 2014 civic's (my model) don't have in the wheel tpms sensors...but some other sort of system that is attached to wheel speed sensors and some other techy stuff that i don't understand.

how do i go about putting on 1) 8th gen stock wheels with winter tires or 2) aftermarket wheels with winter tires without tpms issues. my last two cars, i just put on the winter tires and drove around with the idiot light on the dash. not a big deal to me as i religiously check tire pressures.

i went to the alligator sens-it site and got an education on how great their's are, but didn't see where to purchase them.

i'm getting ready to buy something for the winter...but, now, i'm all confused.

HELP....

#81 ·
The late 13's and all 14's go off of the wheel speed sensors for tpms info. If you switch wheels and tires I believe you will need to go into your vehicle info/settings and reset you tire light. This will reset the system for the new tires. No sensors in the wheels themselves. Easy peasy

#83 ·
ah, thanks to you both for 'spainin that to me. i have an indirect system. not all that accurate...but, nonetheless, i have a system in place. and i can put whatever tires i want, reset the tpms in the vehicle's settings and go about my business. cool.

#84 ·
TPMS problem solved.

Ok. I'm well versed in the stupid tpms stuff. But I have a problem. I have two sets of rims and tires. One set for summer, one set for three season. When I originally bought the ateq quickset tool it worked flawlessly and allowed me to switch rims out with no problem. All I did was go to a shop have them read the id's. I recorded the id's, programmed them in my tool and done. Well a sensor went bad after a reprogram. Can the tool do this or was it a sensor that just went bad? The reason why I ask this is, I just switched out my summer tires and put back on my three season tires and the tpms check tire pressure light won't go off! The tire pressure is fine! Did another sensor go bad on the second set of rims?! I read someone let air out of their tires down to 15 psi and then took it back up to 32, will this work? Did my sensors in my three season tires go to sleep? If so, how do I wake them up? This is such a pita! Thanks for your help. Ohh, btw your id's can be programmed in the ecu with either hexadecimal or decimal. The ateq software that comes with the tool converts it for you. Record both for your records. Another wierd thing about my situation is I can turn off traction control. I could before too, when a sensor was bad?

#85 ·
Well after only 1 winter and 1 season of storage, one or more of my cloned sensors has pooped out and had a bad battery. I first let NGS know, and he said he'd send me a reader tool which seemed nice. But I guess he flaked out because it never arrived and he hasn't responded to my subsequent messages. Taking everything into consideration, the honda OEM sensors + programmer is the best choice hands-down for 12's and 13's. If anyone can recommend a vendor for the OEM sensors and that programmer thing, it would be much appreciated.

#86 ·
Tire Rack is spot on about the indirect monitoring system. We call these pulse position indicators or PPI's in the material handing industry. They really weren't meant for external factors like slippage or when variability come into play.

Indirect Monitoring Systems
In the interest of providing a lower cost Original Equipment system, indirect tire pressure monitoring systems were developed by vehicle manufacturers wishing to comply with the law while minimizing development time and cost. Indirect systems use the vehicle's antilock braking system's wheel speed sensors to compare the rotational speed of one tire to that in another position on the vehicle. If one tire is low on pressure, its circumference changes enough to roll at a slightly different number of revolutions per mile than the other three tires. Reading the same signal used to support ABS systems, the vehicle manufacturers have programmed another function into the vehicle's onboard computer to warn the driver when a single tire is running at a reduced inflation pressure compared to the others.
Unfortunately, indirect tire pressure monitoring systems have several shortcomings. Indirect systems won't tell the drivers which tire is low on pressure, and won't warn the driver if all four tires are losing pressure at the same rate (as occurs during the fall and winter months when ambient temperatures get colder). Additionally, our current experience with indirect systems indicates that they can generate frequent false warnings. We have found that false warnings may occur when the tires spin on wet, icy and snow-covered roads. In these cases, the false alarms would train the driver to disregard the tire pressure monitoring system's warnings, negating its purpose completely.

I wouldn't care so much as these can false alarms can be reset quickly by pulling over and recalibrating but it is the frequency that is bugging me. I am running in snowmobile mode coming home over 70 miles of backroads and the fenderburgs screw with the tires on turns and such which kicks in the low tire pressure warning. Then the traction control comes on (I run with it off as I want to spin when and where needed). It has been -6 degrees each morning and the snow is building. Above freezing today which feels like spring.

I would simply unplug the fuse but I understand on the 2014 SI that the brake system is more than simply ABS it is also stability control in skids when applying the brakes. I think we had a fellow member total his car hydroplaning. I like traction control for those reasons sometimes. Other than that I can out brake ABS and out traction traction control. These indirect monitoring systems blow!

May have to move to the rant forum for a bit.... Nahh.....

#87 ·
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We need a work-around the TPMS system to completely disengage it from the VSA, and then be able to turn it off.

#88 ·
Amen to that. Honda really f'd up here. I'd even take a diagnostic screen button to relearn tpms codes.

Reactions: scottyrocks
#90 ·
I bought this on ebay. Autel ts501. Came with 8 programmable / clone-able sensors. When it arrived, I upgraded the firmware of the unit after registering the product to autel.com. I read the TPMS sensors of my 2013 SI. I then cloned the original TPMS ID's to the sensors that came with pack. Then I ordered a set of rims and a set of winter tires on ebay separately. Cost me $675 total for the rims and tires unmounted. Brought the rims, tires and cloned sensors to a local shop and have them mounted and balanced for $80. Now my snow rims/tires set have the same TPMS sensors with the original set. No more reprogramming or rewriting to CEU of the car.
This unit is also capable to rewriting / reprogramming the TPMS memory on CEU of the car in case you were not able to have a set cloned TPMS sensor.
Autel.Us TS501 Maxi TPMS Activation Tool Kit with Sensors

#91 ·
Is it possible to program the sensors to expect a lower psi before the lights come on? Like setting it to come on at 10psi or something so that you can drop the pressure without the lights coming on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.