9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'12 Civics are coming up on 8 and some 9 years in service. Honda says the sensor battery should last between 7 and 10 years, depending on mileage.
So.
Who here has replaced TPMS sensor due to dead batteries?

If so:
How many years of service?
Mileage on car?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Not exactly what you are asking but my moms 09 civic had a sensor die 2 years ago with about 160k miles.
Direct system just like the 12-13

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Worked on cars proffesionally for 4 years now.
I would say its a close to daily occurance that I replace dead TPMS sensors. Mileage/age vary but obviously the older the sensor the more likely the battery is going out. We use Autel brand sensors to replace OE ones, and they work like a charm.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say its a close to daily occurance that I replace dead TPMS sensors. Mileage/age vary but obviously the older the sensor the more likely the battery is going out. We use Autel brand sensors to replace OE ones, and they work like a charm.
Thanks for the reply.

Let me ask you this:
Would you replace the TPMS sensors when replacing all 4 tires?
If the car is 8 years in service but only has 30,000 miles.

Also: where in the world are you located?

·
Registered
41 Posts

No, only replace as needed. You could have one go out and the other 3 go for years. If any are currently dead, yes, it does make sense to replace the non functioning sensors druing tire changing.

Thanks for the reply.

Let me ask you this:
Would you replace the TPMS sensors when replacing all 4 tires?
If the car is 8 years in service but only has 30,000 miles.

Also: where in the world are you located?

No, only replace as needed. You could have one go out and the other 3 go for years. If any are currently dead, yes, it does make sense to replace the non functioning sensors druing tire changing. In VA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What specific Autel type of programming tool and sensors do you use to replace the OE ones?

·
Registered
41 Posts
What specific Autel type of programming tool and sensors do you use to replace the OE ones?
So Im not sure what tool, I go to work in a few hours and I can post pictures. The sensors are new from autel. We used to have 4 different ones, 315MHz both metal and rubber stem, and then 433MHz metal and rubber. Now they make a dual frequency sensor so it would be just choosing between a rubber or metal valve stem. Again I can post pics when I get to work today. I prefer rubber stems to metal ones. Cant tell you how many stupid metal stems I replace throughout a work week. They just corrode and end up leaking. Rubber is much cheaper and easier to replace if they go bad.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So Im not sure what tool, I go to work in a few hours and I can post pictures. The sensors are new from autel. We used to have 4 different ones, 315MHz both metal and rubber stem, and then 433MHz metal and rubber. Now they make a dual frequency sensor so it would be just choosing between a rubber or metal valve stem. Again I can post pics when I get to work today. I prefer rubber stems to metal ones. Cant tell you how many stupid metal stems I replace throughout a work week. They just corrode and end up leaking. Rubber is much cheaper and easier to replace if they go bad.
Those dual frequency sensors save a lot of headache.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Heres the tool and dual frequency sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, only replace as needed. You could have one go out and the other 3 go for years. If any are currently dead, yes, it does make sense to replace the non functioning sensors druing tire changing. In VA.
Thanks for your reply.
For some reason it has escaped me until today.
I got similar insights from the local Honda Service Center.

My cuz got her tires, last month, and opted to replace all the senors as part of the deal.
Yeah, it was an expensive tire change....

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

My cuz got her tires, last month, and opted to replace all the senors as part of the deal.
Ain't lying about that. Broke two of mine the other day swapping wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I bet, sensors arent cheap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Those dual frequency sensors save a lot of headache.
Theyre literally the best thing Ive ever encountered, stricly from a work standpoint. no more figuring out what frequency to use b.s. just program and go!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet, sensors arent cheap.
I think they were MSRP $42 a piece; they did install the new sensors as part of the tire replacement for $80.
Then charged another $110 for programming... and another $100 for an alignment, IMO, that the car did not need; OE tire wear was even.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think they were MSRP $42 a piece; they did install the new sensors as part of the tire replacement for $80.
Then charged another $110 for programming... and another $100 for an alignment, IMO, that the car did not need; OE tire wear was even.
Damn $110 for programming? That should be part of doing the tires IMO. Alignment is worth doing twice a year in my opinion. Way to many potholes where I am to not get it checked.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Ain't lying about that. Broke two of mine the other day swapping wheels.

Have any pics of new shoes???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts