9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 si that’s boosted, I’ve broke 4th gear 4 times so I finally put a built trans in. Got everything installed but now I have no power steering and traction control comes on after going above 5mph. Took it to Honda and they said that the vsa and power steering are getting 0 volts. They wouldn’t do anything further with it bc they said it’s “too aftermarket” any help is appreciated

·
Registered
557 Posts
So what are the exact codes? What have you tried to troubleshoot?

Not much we can recommend until we have more relevant details. Also, keep in mind that you can access ServiceExpress to look up the legit Honda troubleshooting guides for testing out this stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what are the exact codes? What have you tried to troubleshoot?

Not much we can recommend until we have more relevant details. Also, keep in mind that you can access ServiceExpress to look up the legit Honda troubleshooting guides for testing out this stuff.
There are no codes coming up for it. I’ve pulled out the wiring harness and looked over everything and didn’t find anything. I did find that one of the wires going to the battery sensor had been pulled apart but fixing that did not resolve anything. I tried cleaning the wheel speed sensors before I replaced them but that didn’t help either. My next thought is the steering angle sensor. But it’s on back order until February. I just put a brand new battery in it so I know it’s not a problem coming from the battery

·
Registered
2 Posts
This seems to be a bad steering angle sensor or it may not be properly programmed. At least in my case it fixed the issue but now I have a permanent check tire pressure and traction off light off, at least I no longer have power steering issues

·
Registered
557 Posts
There are no codes coming up for it. I’ve pulled out the wiring harness and looked over everything and didn’t find anything. I did find that one of the wires going to the battery sensor had been pulled apart but fixing that did not resolve anything. I tried cleaning the wheel speed sensors before I replaced them but that didn’t help either. My next thought is the steering angle sensor. But it’s on back order until February. I just put a brand new battery in it so I know it’s not a problem coming from the battery
No codes? Is this from when Honda checked it out? HDS should absolutely have displayed something.

Don't be surprised if one of those tiny 22awg wires separated enough to cause you problems. Did you do the transmission install? Did you drop the rack with the subframe or hang it? That procedure can certainly lead to wiring getting stretched if one forgets to disconnect something.

Sounds to me like you need to start checking continuity on your wiring harness to eliminate that possibility. Honda at least gave you a head start and you now know you need to check all relevant wiring to the EPS and VSA. I would also make sure your connections at the rack and modulator are free of corrosion. Nothing worse than fixing the main problem, only to be screwed by simple maintenance.

Things like wheel speed sensors wouldn't result in you having no power steering. As Honda diagnosed, you just plain don't have power to it and VSA. They would have also thrown codes...

Reactions: dpetro1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did do the trans install myself. I also dropped the rack with the subframe. I don’t recall forgetting to unplug anything but I can’t be too sure at this point. I’ve checked all the connections but I’ll definitely go back and clean them to start off with. I also found out that just by disabling the traction control I can drive the car normally (without power steering still)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts