Votes: 26 51.0%
  • No, Traction Control Off

Votes: 25 49.0%
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have first hand experience with the traction control on a new Civic, i.e. what it feels like, is it effective, when it engages, what it does?

I have first hand experience with it on a Mustang GT. It doesn't do a damn thing, especially when it badly needed. No more Ford. :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have traction control and vehicle stability control on our 2011 Ford Ranger FX4, and it is very effective driving in snow and rain.. unless you get stuck and in a 4x4 situation then it can be an issue.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hmmm, I havent skidded yet so I guess it works? Lol. Though I have turned it off and found that the throttle response is better

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
Hmmm, I havent skidded yet so I guess it works? Lol. Though I have turned it off and found that the throttle response is better
same here...lol... better throttle response with it off for sure

·
Registered
81 Posts
I played with mine a little bit when it snowed here. I found that it was decent. It allowed me to turn sharper with it on than off. It did a good job on acceleration too. I'm typically not a fan of such technology, but I'm ok with it if i know what its going to do and does the same thing every time... oh and most importantly it's defeatable.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I played with mine a little bit when it snowed here. I found that it was decent. It allowed me to turn sharper with it on than off. It did a good job on acceleration too. I'm typically not a fan of such technology, but I'm ok with it if i know what its going to do and does the same thing every time... oh and most importantly it's defeatable.
Yeah, I know what you mean nateg20. Low tech is why I still use a bow and arrow so I won't have to pay for the expensive and sometimes unreliable gun and silencer. What's that have to do with Civic's? I have plenty of room to put my bow and arrow on the back seat in states that don't reciprocate with my state's gun laws or states that don't allow locked and loaded guns in cars......ya have to think of everything in order to survive and thrive. My Civic is part of my survive and thrive strategic plan...... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
396 Posts
We have traction control and vehicle stability control on our 2011 Ford Ranger FX4, and it is very effective driving in snow and rain.. unless you get stuck and in a 4x4 situation then it can be an issue.
Need to turn it off if you are stuck, designed for highway driving, not for getting you "unstuck"

Reactions: raewhit

·
Registered
717 Posts
It works in the rain for me. I drive hard in the rain and when my tires start spinning it kind of slows the car down and wheels stop spinning rpm drops.

When on dry pavement. It does the Same thing. When I slam the gas pedal my wheels spins and stop because of vsa

·
Registered
396 Posts
When you're stuck that just calls for a wholllllle lotta floorin.

Thats the point we are trying to make, with traction control on flooring it will do nothing, power to the wheels will be cut off because the system will think you are skidding, point is, don't cheap out and not get tpms sensors installed because you won't be able to disable traction control if you have to.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thats the point we are trying to make, with traction control on flooring it will do nothing, power to the wheels will be cut off because the system will think you are skidding, point is, don't cheap out and not get tpms sensors installed because you won't be able to disable traction control if you have to.
Yeah that would be nice but at $168 per wheel which i was quoted from my honda dealer, its not worth it for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When turning and accelerating sharply [empty]

Hi just wondering if this is an issue with my vehicle, or maybe related to the TCS..

Just picked up my new 2012 Civic Sedan EX last week, its at 140 KM on the odometer right now. Last night I was in a parking lot and I wanted to stretch the car's legs a bit. From a standstill I tried turning right and accelerating sharply, really putting the gas pedal down. The engine revved fairly high but the car didn't accelerate. My girlfriend looked at me and said "Did you put the car in neutral?", I did not. So when I tried accelerating sharply again, but this time in a straight line, the car accelerated appropriately.

I later on tried to accelerate sharply into a left turn from a standstill and again the engine revved high but the car didn't accelerate.

So I'm wondering, is this related to the traction control system? My old car didn't have TCS (96' BMW 318ti) so this is new to me. IS this even a TCS thing? I'm worried there might be something wrong with my car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Happens to me too but only on cornering due to the TCS. I dont know if other civic models but the Si has a Helical Limited-Slip Differential helps give the driver more steering control and enhanced steering response when accelerating and cornering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is from the manual. Try turning off VSA.

"VSA® (Vehicle Stability Assist), aka ESC (Electronic Stability
Control), System

Without VSA®, your vehicle will have normal braking
and cornering ability, but it will not have VSA®
traction and stability enhancement.

In certain unusual conditions when your vehicle gets
stuck in shallow mud or fresh snow, it may be easier
to free it with the VSA® temporarily switched off.

When the VSA® system is off, the traction control
system is also off. You should only attempt to free
your vehicle with the VSA® off if you are not able to
free it when the VSA® is on.

Immediately after freeing your vehicle, be sure to
switch VSA® on again. We do not recommend driving
your vehicle with the VSA® and traction control
systems switched off."

·
Registered
76 Posts
Getting better mpg with Traction Control OFF during dry days, way better traction climbing Pittsburgh hills with ON during snow days. I like it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Getting better mpg with Traction Control OFF during dry days, way better traction climbing Pittsburgh hills with ON during snow days. I like it.
cool good to know, now all i need is some sensors so i can turn the SOB off!

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts
traction control..

has anyone use it?
to me i know where the button is but idk when it turn on or off or where it shows on or off... lol

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
If yours is like mine on the Si it is always on by default. When you encounter less than adequate traction the computer will drop your rpms and alternate between drive wheels to seek traction usually at slow speed. Hit the button and hold it until the light on the dash pops on and the system is defeated allowing all the wheel spin you care to give it.

Driving style and preference is really the best way to guide whether you like to have control of the wheel spin or let the system override your attempts to do it yourself. I like wheelspin in many conditions so often turn it off in snow myself.

At about the 3 second mark you can see two yellow flashes on my dash when TSC kicked in automatically when pulling away from a wet intersection in this crappy video.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine saved me a few times. We had a lot of snow and ice here recently (as always). I parked in a hill not thinking I'd have a bi$%? of a time getting out of there. It took about 5 minutes to climb up the hill but I would have never been able to climb it without this feature. It is annoying sometimes, when you keep pressing the gas and the car is barely moving, but the few times I turned it off, I realized I was better off with it on !

1 - 20 of 226 Posts