9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
This is my first post but I've been reading on the forum a lot. I know there are similar posts. But I haven't seen any with a video related to this issue. So I'm attaching a short clip of this sound my car is making (does this at almost every dead stop acceleration). It seems pretty common that our transmissions make this noise. When about 60-75% clutch disengagement it makes a horrible sound.
From what I have found it's either a bad throughout bearing or a clutch spring that loose.
If anyone has had a similar issue and knows the problem I'd love to hear. Also, have the dreaded 2nd gear grind when vtec is engaged (have to hold clutch for 3 seconds before engaging 2nd at high RPM). First lockouts at a dead stop 10% of the time, and 3rd gear sleave locks halfway through engagement, holds for a second then fully engages.

Has anyone had this covered by honda? Bought a warranty and been fighting for over a year to get it looked at. Finally got in contact with the dealership I bought from (over an hour away) and they said they'll look but don't know if it's covered. Car was purchased certified in "perfect working mechanical order" when you hear the sounds it makes that doesn't seem perfect to me.
The dealership manager was fired because he was scamming people with similar issues, selling faulty cars certified that weren't actually working. They said they did a lot of work on the car (Paint fixes, fluid changes, etc but have found out everything they said was fixed/flushed wasn't actually).
Just trying to figure out if there's any chance that it's covered (especially the suspected damaged synchros and sleaves). ALSO important, the previous owner had 2 transmission inspections done, they clearly made this up but told me it was "because the battery leaked acid onto the transmission and was mistaken for a leak" (this is what they said after I heard them say "we don't have any notes on why it was inspected").
Hope they'll cover it since this has clearly been an ongoing issue since before I purchased the car.

Hope to hear some good stories or at least some possible causes.

(Yes I can drive manual, I double-clutch over 4k RPM, never force shifts, and I've been driving manuals for 5 years. I learned to drive stick not auto so I'm confident this is not my user error. Can't speak for the previous owner, but his service records and millage seem to show he took great care of the car and was a guy in his 40's)

·
Photoshop Masta
2,913 Posts
That noise: Happens to me (1st - 2nd gear) about 2 times a week and it's more noticeable when going uphill.

From what I've read, it's pretty common. As for the second gear grinding, same here.

·
Registered
989 Posts
That sound is normal. Pretty much all 9th gen Si's do that, nothing to worry about. The car is pretty finicky about going into first. Ever since mine was new it didnt like going into first unless perfectly rev matched. I wouldnt say it locks out of 1st 10% of the time, but I have experienced some of that. Also just a side note, you dont need to double clutch upshifts in a synchronized gearbox

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have the same noise on my 2013 ILX, more common in cold weather or just after startup before the grease in the bearing is warm.
living with it until the clutch is finished, which wont be long after the supercharger is installed.
😁

I also had a similar noise that was the idler pulley for the serpentine belt.
That was an easy 30 dollar fix.

·
Registered
2015 TW FB6
53 Posts
Same noise going into 1st for me. Have almost gotten locked out of 2nd shifting at 7200rpm once. Went into gear but had a nasty crunch. Replaced the shift linkage bushings and shift base bushings with Acuity’s and haven’t had the problem since. I purposely shift a bit slower going into 2nd now though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same noise going into 1st for me. Have almost gotten locked out of 2nd shifting at 7200rpm once. Went into gear but had a nasty crunch. Replaced the shift linkage bushings and shift base bushings with Acuity’s and haven’t had the problem since. I purposely shift a bit slower going into 2nd now though.
same here...those syncros cant keep up with fast shifts!

a rebuild with new gear ratios is in my future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alright finally got an update. The clutch assembly (that's what they said not a specific part) caused that noise. transmission, shifter cables, and clutch need to be replaced. They're filling paperwork to get the transmission covered, which they said they're pretty certain it'll be covered. 1 year, 3 dealerships, 5 visits, and 30+ hours on the phone, and finally got the confirmed diagnoses. Wish I went to this dealership first.

The first two dealerships laughed when I said my sleeves and synchros are trashed, that I didn't know what I was talking about. The mechanics here read my notes, and within 15 minutes confirmed I was right. They said that having those notes was useful (so if you have the same issues and want coverage mention that.)

They said clutch and flywheel aren't covered, but considering the trans is toast I'll see if they'll cover it. Seeing as the trans is warrantied and it causes the clutch to die, it should extend coverage to the clutch. Since any covered component that fails and causes damage to another part that's not warrantied, that not warrantied part is covered. I bought the car certified, and the reports show this was an issue before I got the car. So I'll update to see what they say on the clutch.

Going to delete rev hang, Ktuned CMC/slave kit (or sirimoto which is half the price and has pretty great reviews, even better than Ktuned), and shifter bushings to prevent it from happening again in the future.
P.S. I'm in Canada many members of the forum have had little luck getting coverage here, the US members seem to have better luck but still not great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts