9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In process of rebuilding my transmission. For those of you that rebuilt their transmission, what gear oil are you guys using? I was thinking using the Amsoil sychromesh, but on the label it states not to use in transmission with LSD. But it seems like the Amsoil fluid is mostly close to the OEM Honda fluid.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think when they say don't use on LSD, it's the clutch-pack type. Ours is helical gear LSD. At any rate, I'm still using Honda MTF. Can't go wrong with O.E.M.
Congrats on the gears, it's cut my 0-60 down below 5sec, and a second off my 0-100 time. I've got around 2-3,000 miles on gears, about to replace transmission fluid with Honda MTF.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think when they say don't use on LSD, it's the clutch-pack type. Ours is helical gear LSD. At any rate, I'm still using Honda MTF. Can't go wrong with O.E.M.
Congrats on the gears, it's cut my 0-60 down below 5sec, and a second off my 0-100 time. I've got around 2-3,000 miles on gears, about to replace transmission fluid with Honda MTF.
Yea, I was thinking of sticking with OEM, but heard you need to change it often (especially now that I'm boosted). I did call GearDriven (where I bought the gears,lsd, etc and they told me the Amsoil or Honda OEM is fine). I just wanted to get anyone on here their personal experiences and opinions.

Forgot to mention, I switched to a Wavetrac LSD.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I hadn't heard of changing it more often, but that's probably a good idea like engine oil.

Now, your new LSD may change things, this is what I'd be concerned with. Gears are forgiving, the cup seals on the transmission are pretty forgiving. I'd call the manufacturer of the LSD to find out what they recommend.

What LSD did you go with?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't heard of changing it more often, but that's probably a good idea like engine oil.

Now, your new LSD may change things, this is what I'd be concerned with. Gears are forgiving, the cup seals on the transmission are pretty forgiving. I'd call the manufacturer of the LSD to find out what they recommend.

What LSD did you go with?
Went with Wavetrac.

Also, I found fluids that seems to be popular with Hondas (Torso and Syncrotech's fluid created with Torso).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Went with Wavetrac.

Also, I found fluids that seems to be popular with Hondas (Torso and Syncrotech's fluid created with Torso).
Gotcha. If you try a different fluid, post any differences on it. Changing my fluid tonight or tomorrow for the first time. If anything is weird, I will post in my build thread.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Stupid question: Does the GearX make that loud whinning noise, like a full out race car transmission does?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Stupid question: Does the GearX make that loud whinning noise, like a full out race car transmission does?
Good question! They are not straight cut gears, like a full race transmissions. I think you can get them straight cut, so they would whine. Reverse is a straight cut gear on our stock transmission, that's why reverse makes noise.
The teeth count is smaller, so the teeth are thicker. On full throttle the gears do whine some, but exhaust and intake noise drowns it out. Sadly, don't get to hear it often.
Changed transmission fluid today, after about 3-4,000 miles fluid was still clear. I shouldn't have touched it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Good question! They are not straight cut gears, like a full race transmissions. I think you can get them straight cut, so they would whine. Reverse is a straight cut gear on our stock transmission, that's why reverse makes noise.
The teeth count is smaller, so the teeth are thicker. On full throttle the gears do whine some, but exhaust and intake noise drowns it out. Sadly, don't get to hear it often.
Changed transmission fluid today, after about 3-4,000 miles fluid was still clear. I shouldn't have touched it.
Cool beans. I noticed when I changed mounts, you can hear that gear noise just a bit. It's noticeable but not very loud. Sounds cool.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, do you think I should be ok without changing the fluid after about 500 miles? Some ppl were saying to do a breakin of 500 miles and change the fluid.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So, do you think I should be ok without changing the fluid after about 500 miles? Some ppl were saying to do a breakin of 500 miles and change the fluid.
There's a magnet in the transmission to catch metal flakes, so I was comfortable waiting for a few thousand, and fluid looked new after a few thousand. But, if your throwing a diff or any other new parts besides gears, id want to change the fluid.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a magnet in the transmission to catch metal flakes, so I was comfortable waiting for a few thousand, and fluid looked new after a few thousand. But, if your throwing a diff or any other new parts besides gears, id want to change the fluid.
Gotcha. Yea, I have a magnetic plug also. I got like a 300 mile drive after I pick up the car. But I'll probably plan on changing the fluid after I pick it up before I head to get it re-tuned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts