9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a few of my gears like to go in rough sometimes. mainly 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. after reading it seems people have had some lucky with changing their transmission fluid and it solved the problem. I would like to get some feedback .

if you changed your fluid what brand and type of fluid did u used? and how well did it work for you? do u feel a difference in the shifting?

i have a 2012 civic si

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I assume you are talking about a manual transaxle. I did this on a '83 Civic hatchback I had. The manual called for 5W-30 motor oil for the lubricant. The car had about 30K miles on the clock and the 1-2 2-3 synchros were a bit notchy. I drained the transaxle and replaced the lube with 5W-30 Mobil1 full synthetic motor oil. The change was dramatic. It was like you had put new synchros in the thing.

Here's what the OM says about manual transmission fluid on page 264.
"If Honda MTF is not available, you may use the API
certificated SAE 0 W-20 or 5 W-20 viscosity motor oil
as a temporary measure.
Replace with MTF as soon as possible. Motor oil does
not contain the proper additives for the transmission
and continued use can cause decreased shifting
performance and lead to transmission damage.
"
The question is Honda MTF a synthetic fluid?

Here's a good place to go to get more information on your question. I've included a thread on your subject just to get you started.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2752430&Searchpage=1&Main=183184&Words=Honda+MTF&Search=true#Post2752430

While we are on the subject, be careful of changing fluid in a Honda automatic. I did it on my '97 Civic EX and roughly 30K miles later, it started shifting like you had put a Hurst shift kit in it. It was slamming the shifts regardless of the rpm. Shifting from reverse to drive was like getting rear ended. Dealer wanted $4,000 for a new transaxle. My independent mechanic knew right away what was wrong when I described the problem He said Hondas cannot handle other brands of ATF and the Mobil1 ATF I had put in it made the shift solanoids too slippery (probably the seals) and they were hammering the shifts. He told me to go to the dealer and buy eight quarts of Honda ATF, drain and fill, drive it 3K miles, and repeat the drain/fill. It fixed the problem for about $5O bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with Amsoil synthetic which makes shifting a little smoother. It wasn't that bad before, just a little 'notchy'. I also felt the standard oil wouldn't hold up to what I had planned for the car. The entire project takes two quarts (maybe 1.9) of new oil, a 17mm wrench, 4ft. of clear plastic tubing and a funnel. And about 20 minutes if you have a pit or nice access. Maybe a bit more if you can't get good leverage on the bolts. The first time you take them off is a challenge.

·
Registered
901 Posts
AMSoil MTL!

I'll be changing my gearbox oil tonight after the job with some AMSoil MTL! i'll tell you more about it later! Local 8th gen guys swears about the stuff and i had it for Free Fifty Free so i may give it a try! :)

Marko!!

Reactions: SeeCash

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Not my current Si but my EP3 Si, I've also used Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmision Fulid 5W-30.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm gonna put some AMsoil MTF tonight! I'll let you know how it feels then! :)

Marko!

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
8th gen's and even 7th gen's people use it. I've used before on my 7th gen...I'm waiting until 30K Miles before using it on my FB6. Make sure it is the Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30

·
Registered
192 Posts
How hard of a job is this???

·
Registered
901 Posts
AMSoil or Red Line is fine! Been using both of them and it's perfect! So far i used Red Line in my Neons (MTL), Mazda 626 V6 (MT90) and Maxima (MT85) as well as the Fit (Racing ATF) and Volvo (D4)... It was like i had a brand new tranny each time! Everytime they just used to be notchy a little bit (The Volvo's Automatic had a bad time, now it's smooth as silk!) tough but the Red Line oil always eliminated the Notchiness... Some friends also have success in their Chryslers and Toyotas with Red Line oils... Hell, Vincent's Plymouth Breeze have over 400k on the Original tranny that is now converted to Red Line's ATF C+!! Can't go wrong with that!

For the Si i had a deal on some AMSoil MTF (Oil was free as i traded it for a piece of Thermo guard!) so i gave it a try! Shifts are smoother now! I can even engage 1st gear even if i'm rolling a little bit whereas before it resulted in gear clash every time! AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

I would say you can't go wrong with both Red Line MTL or AMSoil MTF in your SI! :)

Marko!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Really, with the proper tools, it's not that much of a job..! Took half an hour including the time it took to raise and lower the car on the lift! On the driver's side of the transmission there is the drain plug (3\8 ratchet drive) and fill plug a little over it (17mm)! I used a siphon to put oil in the transmission. It took a little less then 1.9 liters!

The gears are definitely smoother right now!! Not that it was THAT bad but, before, attempting to shift the car in 1st if i was rolling even a little bit resulted in gear clash! Now it's OK! I would say, Go for it!! AMSoil MTF is what's i'm using but Red Line MTL if perfect also! Been using it in the Neons and it was slick!!

AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

Marko!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AMSoil or Red Line is fine! Been using both of them and it's perfect! So far i used Red Line in my Neons (MTL), Mazda 626 V6 (MT90) and Maxima (MT85) as well as the Fit (Racing ATF) and Volvo (D4)... It was like i had a brand new tranny each time! Everytime they just used to be notchy a little bit (The Volvo's Automatic had a bad time, now it's smooth as silk!) tough but the Red Line oil always eliminated the Notchiness... Some friends also have success in their Chryslers and Toyotas with Red Line oils... Hell, Vincent's Plymouth Breeze have over 400k on the Original tranny that is now converted to Red Line's ATF C+!! Can't go wrong with that!

For the Si i had a deal on some AMSoil MTF (Oil was free as i traded it for a piece of Thermo guard!) so i gave it a try! Shifts are smoother now! I can even engage 1st gear even if i'm rolling a little bit whereas before it resulted in gear clash every time! AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

I would say you can't go wrong with both Red Line MTL or AMSoil MTF in your SI! :)

Marko!!
so u would say it's a big improvement?

how easy was it to change?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I won't say it was a dramatic improvement as i didn't have a lot of issues with mine other then 1st gear clash when i came to a stop (which is eliminated to my relief!) and some notchiness mainly when cold, but i kind of see that as prevention as my tranny was allready fine! But to be honest, it really made a difference as it's shifting better then ever now! Plus, it was really easy as i did it at the garage on a lift!

Looking near the driver's side Axle you'll see the drain plug (3\8 ratcher socket!) and the fill plug is a little higher (a couple of inches) and it's a 17mm bolt! A tip here , remove the drain plug but don't remove the fill plug while draining if you don't want to do a mess..! When it's gonna be empty, put the drain plug back on and pump in your oil! I used a siphon but a funnel with a long enough hose (3 or 4ft) will do just fine!! Capacity is between 1.8 - 1.9l but it's gonna start dripping when it's gonna be full anyway..! Just make sure your car is level as it could mean too much or too little oil in it if it's not level!

Enjoy cleaner shifts!

Marko!

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Buuuuummmmppp

·
RevHung
181 Posts
May I ask why you want to change it to Amsoil ?

Can you use alternative products? - Sure
Will the transmission wear differently? - Possibly

I have always used Honda Manual Transmission Fluid and never had any issue and its more affordable at $5.64 a QT

Yes 2 quarts

Change it every 30k miles depending on driving habits.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok i'm rdy to buy my MTF . it's time to do my first oil change and the guy is going to do the tranny fluid for me since he already has the car up on the lift.

so now that a lot more people have used redline, amsoil etc... i want to get a little more feedback before i buy one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
What if the dealer put ATF in my manual tranny? I'm just looking at my last receipt and they charged me for ATF and I don't really knonw what they put on my car... This was like 5k miles ago and actually I don't feel anything weird, just a little notchy gears sometimes...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts